Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was making my FEL dolly, I needed some edging for the 1/4" steel platform where the FEL parking stand would land. It was simply to protect the paint edges since this thing sees rough duty. I found a product on Amazon that I liked. It was about a dollar per foot, which was not bad. However, the minimum order was a 25 foot roll. I passed at the time.

About 2 weeks ago I hit my head for the 4th time on the protrusions on the ROPS. I think 3 of the times I was looking in the tool box. The other time was on the opposite side when I was checking the hydraulic fluid level. I thought that maybe this edging could help reduce the sharpness of these protrusions. And the price was looking better and better.

This edging is tough. It's reinforced with aluminum pieces on the inside. A bandsaw would be nice for cutting it, but I managed okay with tin snips and an end nipper for trimming. Its curvature from being rolled up actually helped in this installation. The shape of the ROPS protrusion was close to the natural shape of the edging coming off the roll. I had to hammer it on with a plastic mallet. The fit is very tight. I don't think it will come off in normal usage, but I'll update this thread if I have problems down the road. Note that I don't have to lower my ROPS to get in my garage. If you must do this, this edging will not work for you, since it blocks the normal movement of the ROPS in several ways.

This edging is not a perfect solution. It doesn't offer any padding to cushion the blow. But it's much wider than the 1/4" steel and doesn't have sharp points, so any blow is more distributed and flat.
The other possible solution I considered for the ROPS was to buy a couple of those Styrofoam covers that they sell for outdoor faucets to keep them from freezing. You could put the covers over the ROPS protrusions, maybe paint them. It wouldn't look as good as the edging but would provide more protection. This idea will seem even better after a couple more klonks on the head.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
:dunno: i was wondering where in the heck u was mount this product at:laugh: and then i seen where-duh!! it turned out very good i think!!!
i've never hit my head on this, but i have whacked it on the rop's if i had it down for some reason. i took care of that problem, by putting a canopy on over winter. will have to see how i like it this summer.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Looks like a good idea to me. Look at it on a positive note, by ordering 25' you will have extra in case some gets damaged or if another project pops up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts