Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That little bit of snow that hit us last week made me nervous, it is on its way sooner or later. Of course it warmed up now but it shall return. So off I went to the dealer to pick up a snow blade for the H120 loader on my 1026R. :plowsnow:

I've wanted one for a long time, I usually blow snow with a 60" rear snow blower but when there is just that little skiff it would be nice to plow it into windrows then blow it away. It'll also be good for the first snowfalls in that I can set the shoes down an extra inch to leave enough to pack in for a base. It's a manual angel but it is adaptable for hydraulics, we'll see how the first winter goes but I think it'll be okay as it is. I think this is going to work real good, I can change between bucket, forks, and plow so easy; and I use all three through the year so this new toy is the answer. Now I hope I don't have to use it until December. :nunu:

20170923_120528.jpg

20170923_122729 (2).jpg

20170923_122724.jpg

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I love mine, good choice! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I love mine, good choice! :cheers:
Hello balrog006!

I have been looking at these for a while now. How long have you had yours and any concerns of bending the loader arms while using it? How deep was the deepest snow you have plowed? I plow asphalt and gravel drives. I have been using the bucket so far but I have been thinking that with a plow on I could speed up the process.

Thank you for your time!

Reactions: greenharley

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
If ya don't mind, can I ask how much the dealer hit you up for that HLA? And if you know, the hydro angle option cost?

I was discussing plow options with my dealer Friday for a few minutes and he mentioned the HLA as an option but we didn't get into pricing.

Reactions: greenharley

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If ya don't mind, can I ask how much the dealer hit you up for that HLA? And if you know, the hydro angle option cost?

I was discussing plow options with my dealer Friday for a few minutes and he mentioned the HLA as an option but we didn't get into pricing.
I paid $2,075 Canadian, purchased in Edmonton Alberta at a JD dealer. I never shopped, I just saw and bought. I never priced the hydraulic cylinder for it, I didn't know it took one until I went through the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Hello balrog006!

I have been looking at these for a while now. How long have you had yours and any concerns of bending the loader arms while using it? How deep was the deepest snow you have plowed? I plow asphalt and gravel drives. I have been using the bucket so far but I have been thinking that with a plow on I could speed up the process.

Thank you for your time!
I've had it for 3, this will be the 4th winter. Plowed 12"+ of heavy wet snow, and 15-18" of regular snow and pushed it all up into tall piles. With no outright abuse, I'd have no concerns bending anything.

I plow a mix of gravel drive and concrete and think the plow does very well.

If memory serves it was ~$1800-ish, but that was 3+ years ago.

I remember asking what the cost difference was for hydraulic angling, but it was ~$1000. I got an Artillain diverter and converted the plow do hydraulic myself for less total than the upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Comparison to the Bucket

I've heard warnings about using this type of blade on the H120 that it is too much out front of the tractor. And true, it feels that way, so I measured it. The blade is only 12" longer than the bucket. Compared to working with my forks, this is not much.
20171003_185132.jpg

20171003_185219 (Custom).jpg

And not that I want it to snow for keeps too soon, but I am oddly looking forward to playing with this combination.
20171001_170214.jpg

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've heard warnings about using this type of blade on the H120 that it is too much out front of the tractor. And true, it feels that way, so I measured it. The blade is only 12" longer than the bucket. Compared to working with my forks, this is not much.
The stress isn't really an issue if you leave the blade straight but a lot of snow plowing is done with the blade angled to one side. This increases the lateral force on the loader assembly.
However, I use a similar arrangement (home built) on the front of my loader for snow and have not seen an issue.

·
Registered
23,268 Posts
The stress isn't really an issue if you leave the blade straight but a lot of snow plowing is done with the blade angled to one side. This increases the lateral force on the loader assembly.
However, I use a similar arrangement (home built) on the front of my loader for snow and have not seen an issue.
This issue is raised all the time with loader mounted plows but I have yet to see anyone with actual damage.

But with that said, with the plow sitting so far forward like this, is the weight of the snow pushing the front end of the tractor sideways while plowing.

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
This issue is raised all the time with loader mounted plows but I have yet to see anyone with actual damage.

But with that said, with the plow sitting so far forward like this, is the weight of the snow pushing the front end of the tractor sideways while plowing.
Agree. You probably want to be a bit careful about ramming big snow piles with the blade angled.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We finally got enough snow to give the HLA 1000 a real try. I have to say that with more snow it works better than with a little snow. This is a real nice complement to my 60" rear snow blower and I am so glad I bought it. Here is a short clip of it in action.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow when you said short clip you were not joking!! It looked good why it lasted. Upload something longer if you can. Oh nice blower as well, it looks monstrous on the 1026. Any video of it in action?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow when you said short clip you were not joking!! It looked good why it lasted. Upload something longer if you can. Oh nice blower as well, it looks monstrous on the 1026. Any video of it in action?
Ha! The video was longer but my grandson shot it for me and, well let me say this is all that was salvageable out of it. Here is an older clip of the snowblower in action with about 5" of snow.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a 66" HLA mounted on loader arms with 8 suitcase weights and loaded rear turf tires. This setup has tackled everything I've thrown at it and performed brilliantly!

Th lateral float feature is very effective on the strictly gravel/dirt drives I plow. I was amazed at how well the lateral float scraped the surfaces.

The mouldboard shape allows snow to roll off nicely. I have a minimum of front end "side pushing" and control what there is by feathering the down pressure. Other times, the float function does a good job due to the weight o the plow.

The fit and finish plus the effectiveness of the lateral float and mouldboard curve make this a premium snow tool for the 1 series. I have no concerns about the weight of the plow and the loader arms and hydraulics handle it easily. I have stacked 8'+ mounds. The HLA 1000 makes the 54" John Deere seem like a toy!

·
Premium Member
13,818 Posts
I have a 66" HLA mounted on loader arms with 8 suitcase weights and loaded rear turf tires. This setup has tackled everything I've thrown at it and performed brilliantly!

Th lateral float feature is very effective on the strictly gravel/dirt drives I plow. I was amazed at how well the lateral float scraped the surfaces.

The mouldboard shape allows snow to roll off nicely. I have a minimum of front end "side pushing" and control what there is by feathering the down pressure. Other times, the float function does a good job due to the weight o the plow.

The fit and finish plus the effectiveness of the lateral float and mouldboard curve make this a premium snow tool for the 1 series. I have no concerns about the weight of the plow and the loader arms and hydraulics handle it easily. I have stacked 8'+ mounds. The HLA 1000 makes the 54" John Deere seem like a toy!
Can you explain this lateral float a little more?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Can you explain this lateral float a little more?
The blade is mounted on a pivot that allows the blade to follow the contour of the surface being plowed.

Imagine the plow being raised up off the surface about a foot. Now, apply downward pressure with your hand to either blade end. That end will lower and the other end will rise. Now lower the blade; it will conform to whatever angle the surface is.

It is strictly a function of the blade being on a central pivot and has nothing to do with the hydraulics. It allows the blade to scrape evenly across its entire length.

Extremely simple but very effective on uneven surfaces like the gravel and dirt drives I plow. In addition, there is no twisting stress being applied to the loader arms on uneven surfaces.

I'll try to get some photos of the lateral float in action later today. I'm still cleaning up from the last big storm of two days ago.

·
Premium Member
13,818 Posts
The blade is mounted on a pivot that allows the blade to follow the contour of the surface being plowed.

Imagine the plow being raised up off the surface about a foot. Now, apply downward pressure with your hand to either blade end. That end will lower and the other end will rise. Now lower the blade; it will conform to whatever angle the surface is.

It is strictly a function of the blade being on a central pivot and has nothing to do with the hydraulics. It allows the blade to scrape evenly across its entire length.

Extremely simple but very effective on uneven surfaces like the gravel and dirt drives I plow.

I'll try to get some photos of the lateral float in action later today. I'm still cleaning up from the last big storm of two days ago.
Very neat feature, mine is homemade from a 72" Moose plow welded to a blank quick attach plate, but that would be a very good feature for my plowing as well. :good2:

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Fishbait
That is a nice looking setup and appreciate all the good info. Need to make a plow decision soon so I have been following the great plow debate threads closely. Really like the benefits of the loader mounted for my use and have been looking at the new CTA loader mounted option and the HLA1000 like yours. I tried locating a dealer per their website and it directed me to an outfit in western NY that is no longer in business. I see you are in the upstate NY area, would you be so kind to offer who you purchased yours from and ballpark cost.
Also I see you run your hydraulics from the diverter, assume you do not need that could just run the angle function off the curl/dump line but just would not have the blade tilt function available
Any input is appreciated
Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,818 Posts
Fishbait
That is a nice looking setup and appreciate all the good info. Need to make a plow decision soon so I have been following the great plow debate threads closely. Really like the benefits of the loader mounted for my use and have been looking at the new CTA loader mounted option and the HLA1000 like yours. I tried locating a dealer per their website and it directed me to an outfit in western NY that is no longer in business. I see you are in the upstate NY area, would you be so kind to offer who you purchased yours from and ballpark cost.
Also I see you run your hydraulics from the diverter, assume you do not need that could just run the angle function off the curl/dump line but just would not have the blade tilt function available
Any input is appreciated
Thanks
My dealer is Cazenovia Equipment, not sure if you have one close enough, but I know they deal in HLA products.

Reactions: Wj80 and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I like the pivoting feature on the HLA too, especially when you are along the edge of the driveway.

As far as the hydraulics, I know there is a kit for this one of mine through JD but I don't know what it hooks up to for control. I do know that I would not want to sacrifice the curl function at all, I play with that angle a lot, especially for back dragging away from things like the steps or buildings.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832
1 - 20 of 29 Posts