Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 injured in gas tank explosion in Manchester

"MANCHESTER, N.H. —
Three people were injured and a car was destroyed Monday in an explosion involving pressurized tanks being delivered to a Manchester gas company.

Manchester Fire Chief Dan Goonan said the car was carrying a tank of oxygen and a tank of acetylene, which is commonly used in welding and cutting, when something triggered the explosion in the parking lot at Matheson Industrial Gases on South Willow Street.

"What we believe happened was the tank was leaking, and when he went to open up the latch for the trunk, we believe it exploded, and that was the ignition source," Goonan said."

YOIKES!

·
Premium Member
14,143 Posts
Yikes is right, but sounds like tanks were laying on their sides.. I was always told any tank of gas, oxygen, what ever was suppose to be carried UPRIGHT.

Yes shame this happened , another thought and we don't know wondered if service cap was installed on both tanks . We don't know if those caps were installed and if Plastic plug was in each treated valve. If any of these items are not present at Amerigas or Matson gas ,,,,, SORRY BUT WE CANNOT FILL YOUR TANKS....nope NO fill.

Just a few thoughts and as said Prayers to the ones injured.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You can transport them on their sides, but acetylene needs to be upright as long as it was horizontal (or even off angle) so that the acetone can drain down to the bottom of the foam and not cause liquid to be drawn out of the tank (very hard on regulator, and could blow you up!).

The fatal flaw here was multi-faceted. They were transporting in a car (first major no-no). They were transporting them in an enclosed space (thus the accumulation of a dangerous charge). The vehicle was not properly placarded (c'mon guys, EMS people deserve to know you have a bomb in your trunk!). Lastly, they were just too plain dumb to be handling tanks.

This kind of stuff is what causes "feel good" legislation that makes free people unable to handle dangerous substances without a license and the regulatory authority knowing how clean your colon is. :nunu:

Pay the $15 delivery fee for #$%&@ sake! That's gotta be worth not killing someone, right??!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You can transport them on their sides, but acetylene needs to be upright as long as it was horizontal (or even off angle) so that the acetone can drain down to the bottom of the foam and not cause liquid to be drawn out of the tank (very hard on regulator, and could blow you up!).

The fatal flaw here was multi-faceted. They were transporting in a car (first major no-no). They were transporting them in an enclosed space (thus the accumulation of a dangerous charge). The vehicle was not properly placarded (c'mon guys, EMS people deserve to know you have a bomb in your trunk!). Lastly, they were just too plain dumb to be handling tanks.

This kind of stuff is what causes "feel good" legislation that makes free people unable to handle dangerous substances without a license and the regulatory authority knowing how clean your colon is. :nunu:

Pay the $15 delivery fee for #$%&@ sake! That's gotta be worth not killing someone, right??!
We have "retrieved" many of tank on side in back of pickup as well on job. With the rule the acetylene had to stand vertical for a time before being used like you have mentioned for the acetone drain down. Never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
If you look at the car you wonder how they didn't get killed! Like JimT said; call for delivery, I never run out for oxygen or acetylene, the truck delivers it right to the garage door. To bad it costs 160 bucks per year for the tanks though... But they are all up to date and have whats necessary for inspections stickers... worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I'm as guilty as anyone for hauling in a SUV (until I found out how cheap delivery is), but I always kept a window open. Not having to wrestle the tanks (my 336's are a bear) makes up for it even now with my truck. I roll them to the garage door, they pick them up and drop off full ones, and I roll them back to the shop. Too easy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you look at the car you wonder how they didn't get killed! Like JimT said; call for delivery, I never run out for oxygen or acetylene, the truck delivers it right to the garage door. To bad it costs 160 bucks per year for the tanks though... But they are all up to date and have whats necessary for inspections stickers... worth it to me.
not only does what's left of the car look amazing, look behind it early in the picture, a rack of rental propane tanks:dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
not only does what's left of the car look amazing, look behind it early in the picture, a rack of rental propane tanks:dunno:
Good observation and probably lucky those didn't go boom too! This defies logic as to how they were not killed...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Since grilling season is upon us remember the same goes for propane tanks.
I was a New York City Fireman for 33 years. One of the things we were trained in was dealing with propane. It is heavier than air. If you could put a dye in it, you would see it run like water. Leaking BBQ tanks were common. If the leaking propane found its way to a bsmt, it would build till it found a source of ignition. If we couldn't stop the leak, we use to fill a metal garbage pail with water, put the tank in the water and light it. It would burn off safely.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Since grilling season is upon us remember the same goes for propane tanks.
Great reminder, the small 20# propane tanks fit perfectly into a standard milkcrate, no flop, no roll.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts