Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in a 50 amp sevice in my garage this spring and have been getting my feet wet with my new welder.

I have very little experience with the GMAW process and it was a real change from FCAW.

I'm using 100% C02 and .035 wire. Hard at first to see much of the puddle and maintain proper stick out because of the gas nozzle, I'm getting the hang of it.

I'm fabbing a cart for it and my old Lincoln which is now dedicated to .023 and C25.

Some of my beads are almost picture worthy and some look like crap. When this cart is finished it will probably be ugly but will do it's job, kind of like me. I'm quite happy with the choice of CO2 and am only getting spatter when I let the stick out get out of hand, very clean process.

I love this welder and am anxious to finish this project and move on to the next. I think I will paint it green and yellow, all my other projects years ago were painted Case red. I think I'm ready to use JD colors from now on.

I love this welder.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree Hodge, and I have found that if there is a problem I can get it fixed at a miller service center rather than pack it up and ship it on my dime like a chinese welder.

I also trust the old style transformer machines more than inverter rigs, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have a Miller 211 MVP w/auto set, a very close cousin to the Hobart. It's a fantastic machine with far more capability than I'll need!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I also trust the old style transformer machines more than inverter rigs, I'm very pleased with my purchase.
I used to be the same way, but then I got an inverter based adaptive pulse MIG power supply and I'm hooked on the possibilities. I'd love to ditch my tranny TIG machine for a juicy inverter, but I can't afford the switch. Nothing wrong with my tranny TIG, but having frequency choices would be fun for aluminum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts