Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks! It's been a while since I've posted more than a sentence here and there, but now that work is slowing down a bit I can take my lunch hours more seriously and devote some much needed love to this forum.... I hate that I haven't made more time for it.

Anyhow, last year I posted pictures of our annual trip to Hocking Hills in southeast Ohio and it seemed generally well-received by you guys, and may have even gotten some interested in visiting the area.

As is our tradition, the wife and I load up the pups and head down to our (rented) 1 room cabin in the middle of the Hocking State Forest. Our goals for the trip are the same every year: take the dogs out on the trails and get some hiking done, enjoy the beautiful surroundings, play some board/card games around a fire, disconnect and unwind from every day life and just plain enjoy each other's company.

This year we were about a week later than we normally go, due to some prior commitments. We missed the prime colors for the trees, but that's ok. The weather was a little colder than we're used to, being most mornings started in the 20s and didn't get much past 40.

We had a lot of rain on our first day, and decided to go to Cedar Falls as part of our first hike. Being a lot of dirt trails cut through woods, the hiking was extremely muddy. The pupper dogs had a blast.

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2588.JPG

Usually we do one 'long' hike per trip. This usually consists of some portion of the Grandma Gatewood trail, which is basically a hike from Old Man's Cave to Cedar Falls to Ash Cave. This year, we did the Cedar Falls to Ash Cave leg, which is fairly easy as far as hiking goes.

IMG_2589.JPG

Could a mod please help with the image orientation? Having issues on my end

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There are 2 parks/trails (Nature Preserves) that we love to visit, but cannot take the dogs on. Our favorite is called Conkle's Hollow and it features two trails: the rim and the gorge. The pictures below are from the rim trail. It's as dangerous as it is beautiful. There are several stretches of trail that go along the cliff faces, with 150'+ drops.

IMG_2591.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
More from Conkle's Hollow

Nice pics, you're lucky to have that area to visit, and remember to keep the pups off the couch! See I didnt forget!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More from Rock House

This wall was built some time over the last year for safety reasons. You used to be able to go out to the edge of the cave and look out over the gorge, it was a beautiful sight....

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

When it's time to relax and recuperate, they take advantage of it. At 7 and 8 years old, it takes them a bit longer to recover every year.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hemlock Trail and Whispering Cave

This was a new trail for us, as it opened in the spring of this year. It was the first new trail to open in several years in the area. It was very short, maybe a couple miles total, but was not an easy trek. Definitely worth it though.

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like a great area.

Dave

·
Corndog Hater
11,111 Posts
Thanks! This area is on my radar to take our camper to. I’ve heard and seen many great things about it.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
Thanks! This area is on my radar to take our camper to. I’ve heard and seen many great things about it.
I wish I lived closer... We have a place called the rock house and another called Cat rock (Bob cats and timber rattlers galore) but the best in our area is called purgatory chasm.. People get in trouble there now and then trying to climb the rocks.. Google Purgatory Chasm and you'll see why.. It is a very cool place like the OP is posting for pics.. some look just like Hocking hIlls as a matter of fact... Lots of pics on the chasm site.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Boy it reminds me of Watkins Glen, NY . Looks Like a nice hiking area. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
483 Posts
There is a superb zip lining attraction in the Hocking Hills also: Soaring Cliffs. We did this three summers ago for my wife's 60th birthday; It is very well run and organized, though probably not dog friendly...

Brian

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Great pix

Beautiful pictures. I never thought about Ohio having that topography- all I had seen of Ohio was farmland with at most rolling hills. Thanks for sharing.

Treefarmer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts