Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm thawing a front leg quarter from the hog that I shot about a month ago. My current plan, when it thaws is to brine it in a solution of a cup of salt to gallon of water for 24 hours, then smoke it. It is bone in.

So, what should I do? Shoot holes in my plan. This is my first wild hog cook. I have time to change course while it thaws.

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
So, I'm thawing a front leg quarter from the hog that I shot about a month ago. My current plan, when it thaws is to brine it in a solution of a cup of salt to gallon of water for 24 hours, then smoke it. It is bone in.

So, what should I do? Shoot holes in my plan. This is my first wild hog cook. I have time to change course while it thaws.
https://www.google.com/search?q=smoking+feral+hog+picnic&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

All I can say is good luck. I have never tried to smoke anything wild, but the prognosis is iffy at best.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If it was a boar and smelled like one then you'll never fully get the taint out. If it was a sow then you're good to go. I've found that 80 lbs was the largest a boar could get and still taste ok. Of course, our hogs were super fat off of peanuts so I would imagine that they tasted better than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
967 Posts
Season the exterior to death. Wrap the whole leg in Aluminum Foil and place over "low" heat in smoker. Walk away and recheck in about 4-Hours just to be sure.... Foil will retain the moisture and break down the meat. Usually mine take 5+ hours. No complaints yet.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
If it was a boar and smelled like one then you'll never fully get the taint out. If it was a sow then you're good to go. I've found that 80 lbs was the largest a boar could get and still taste ok. Of course, our hogs were super fat off of peanuts so I would imagine that they tasted better than most.

Hogs fattened on peanuts bring less per pound, because the belly is pretty much unusable for bacon. If you like them for yourself, no problem. But thought you might like to know that the buyers pay less at the auctions, and individuals that buy one directly, as opposed to a truckload pay less per pound too. You can get one FAT, and quicker, with peanuts, but there is more waste than fattened otherwise. Only thing using peanuts does really well is make excess lard.

Wild hogs rooting peanuts, might be a totally different story, since wild hogs are so lean to begin with. I haven't had any dealings with that scenario.

And, I agree 100% about never getting the boar smell completely gone, if over 80 pounds.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
:munch:

·
8,558 Posts
:munch: I think several of us will be waiting to see and hear the results!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hogs fattened on peanuts bring less per pound, because the belly is pretty much unusable for bacon. If you like them for yourself, no problem. But thought you might like to know that the buyers pay less at the auctions, and individuals that buy one directly, as opposed to a truckload pay less per pound too. You can get one FAT, and quicker, with peanuts, but there is more waste than fattened otherwise. Only thing using peanuts does really well is make excess lard.

Wild hogs rooting peanuts, might be a totally different story, since wild hogs are so lean to begin with. I haven't had any dealings with that scenario.

And, I agree 100% about never getting the boar smell completely gone, if over 80 pounds.
You are correct about commercial operations not wanting those fattened off of peanuts. It's due to the fact that the fat will stay a liquid at refrigerated temps. So basically as it's hanging in the cooler the "bacon" will just run off the hog and drip on the floor.

Peanuts definitely fatten them up and make some dang juicy meat. A wild hog from down in the valley will be dry and tough with a much stronger, gamey flavor to it. The peanuts will nearly make a wild hog taste like a domesticated one, nearly.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pre Brine
20141113_053927.jpg

Post Brine
20141114_050411.jpg

Smoking
20141114_114801.jpg

Delicious
20141114_204458.jpg

20141114_205804.jpg

Breakfast leftovers. We'll enjoy this little bit after we come out of the woods this morning.
20141114_215847.jpg

It was awesome. Not gamey. Very good. Great success. Can't wait to eat more of it.

I brined it for 24 hours in a 1 cup table salt to 1 gallon water ratio brine. I woke up yesterday at 4:00 am to get the smoke going. All apprehension that I had about my new smoker holding a temp were squashed. It was 28 degrees with 15 mph winds outside. I had the smoker less than half on the dial. It did great. I used Hickory chunks for smoke. total smoke time 5.5 hours. I wrapped it in foil put it in a cooler and headed to hunting camp. We ate like kings.

As you can see from the pics, it didn't even make it out of the foil. We were tearing at it like wild animals. It was so good.

·
8,558 Posts
That looks awesome!!! :fed: All that is missing is the aroma!!

·
8,558 Posts
I agree!
What was missing was the invite. :lol:
Maybe he considered this one an experiment, and will invite us to the next one?!?! :unknown:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Looks good man! Now you're really making it hard for me to wait until Christmas to head to south Texas for a pig or three...

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats! Glad it turned out so well. How much did it weigh before cooking, and at what temp did you smoke it? Also, what rubb did you use, if any?
Didn't weigh it, but I'll weigh the other one before I smoke it. That will be late next week. No rub. Just the brine and hickory smoke.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts