Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to replace the fuel line from the tank to the pump to the carb on my 165. When I pulled the fuel line off the tractor I realized it smelled really badly...like a roofing tar smell. Anyone experienced this? I wonder if the OEM rubber is deteriorating from the ethanol added to our fuels. I don't remember the SeaFoam smelling like that when I added it to my fuel can so I don't think it's that.

The smell was so bad that upon going in the house for the evening my wife insisted that I immediately take a shower and put my clothes in the slop sink in the basement.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I decided to replace the fuel line from the tank to the pump to the carb on my 165. When I pulled the fuel line off the tractor I realized it smelled really badly...like a roofing tar smell. Anyone experienced this? I wonder if the OEM rubber is deteriorating from the ethanol added to our fuels. I don't remember the SeaFoam smelling like that when I added it to my fuel can so I don't think it's that.

The smell was so bad that upon going in the house for the evening my wife insisted that I immediately take a shower and put my clothes in the slop sink in the basement.[/QUOTE]

Does the fuel from the tank smell "funny" also, old? Today's alky diluted fuel certainly IS NOT good for older rubber formulations, that's a fact !

BTW, my wife tells me that EVERY time I come into the house... I think it's just a habit from the olden days!:laugh:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts