That thing is cool.

Reactions: Levi and tj1

·
Registered
3,687 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
I actually have one! Mine is called a "bark buster" and it went out of production in the late '80's/early '90's because it was deemed 'too dangerous'. It has no safety features whatsoever; no dead-mans switch, no panic button. I run a length of twine from the coil wire back to where I'm working, but that's about all you can do to make it safer.
After having one of these, I don't ever plan on going back to a hydraulic splitter. Once I overcame the learning curve, I can split firewood as fast as I can push the logs onto the cone. Way faster than waiting for a cylinder to return only to stand around while holding a lever and waiting for the ram to come back out. Probably easier on fuel too because rather than having to run full throttle, I end up slightly above an idle. My M's 100 cubic inch, two cylinder has the torque curve of a diesel so it loves this attachment.
I have used mine on several very gnarled pieces of oak and maple which my friend's 37 ton hydraulic splitter couldn't handle. My M made some really cool noises as the cone bit in, and when the pieces split it sounded like a gunshot. The only type of wood it has trouble with is birch. The bark doesn't tear easily.

I know someone is going to be asking for pictures, but right now it is burried in the back of my shed and I would have to pull my snowplow off to mount it. You'll have to wait until spring to get pics! :good2:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2 and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
15,073 Posts
My neighbor owns one, and yes they are dangerous if not used correctly. Of course any splitter can do harm in a heart beat.. With the screw if the user isn't holding on tight to the wood being split .The wood will just turn on the screw till it hits the stop ,if your using the factory stop. My neighbor removed his stop, when he did I didn't stay around to watch someone getting hurt. Thankfully no one was seriously injured.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I actually have one! Mine is called a "bark buster" and it went out of production in the late '80's/early '90's because it was deemed 'too dangerous'.
I seen one of those on a consignment auction this fall.. Didnt see it sell, but wish I had a dollar for everyone that looked at it and said "thats a accident waitin to happen". :mocking:

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
There was a previous discussion on the screw-type splitters. The Stickler which is very similar in concept to this. It just runs off of your car wheel instead of the tractor PTO.

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hiya,

Wow, that's slow, I'll stick to my flywheel/rack type.

Tom

Welcome to SuperSplitter
I don't think mine is too slow; 6 cord of hardwood in a day is perfectly respectable. :good2: I used to split my whole winters worth of firewood in a weekend. 12 cord is a lot of firewood... If it went any faster and I might have to sweat!

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
4,544 Posts
It's been said, so close to a turning shaft never mind the screw that can catch a sleeve and you are now armless.. Now if you really want to see danger check out any manual cedar shake manufacturer... I don't have any pics but I have witnessed this up in Maine behind a mill.. No way would I do that, never.. I'm brave but not crazy. I'll look for a video of one in production! To many people around here have been killed or hurt by PTO's because of complacency.

Found one;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn5nLL3S9vQ

Just watch and tell me when you can start work!

Reactions: etcallhome and Levi

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,286 Posts
Hiya,

Wow, that's slow, I'll stick to my flywheel/rack type.

Tom

Welcome to SuperSplitter
This looks like the one DR sells.

Any one of these could be or are dangerous and I'd use any of them if I had it. Everything around you is a danger but you still use it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts