Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to make a work platform for forks out of 2 X 4's and a sheet of 5/8" plywood.

Yes I understand this is a *no-no* safety wise, but intend on going no higher than 5 feet.

Figure that's safer than me on a ladder with a pole saw.

Used Valspar sealer/stain instead of paint on wood, 2 coats on all wood, 3 coats on plywood edges.

All connections use snap lock pins, no tools needed.

Plywood comes off of frame easily 4 hand tight 5/8" bolts, plywood weighs around 50 LBS, frame weighs approx. 50 LBS,
each manageable separately by me.

Total cost approx. $110.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Looks good. I'd be inclined to put some kind of railing around it. I found with the one we were using for the new shop the rail was a reminder you were at the edge. The front was open. I was concerned that as we were working we would be watching what we were doing and not looking for the edge. I cut a board to put across the opening so we would bump it before that last step was dooooowwwwwwnnnnnnnn.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Looks good :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Looks great. I like it. I had an old rivet boat that leaked like a sieve and decided to apply that Line X stuff to keep it to a dull roar. Not only did it seal the heck out of it, but it gave me more traction climbing in and out. Maybe put a non slip coating on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Old Pa-pa
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good. I'd be inclined to put some kind of railing around it. I found with the one we were using for the new shop the rail was a reminder you were at the edge. The front was open. I was concerned that as we were working we would be watching what we were doing and not looking for the edge. I cut a board to put across the opening so we would bump it before that last step was dooooowwwwwwnnnnnnnn.
Thought about a rail of some type, still thinking about it.
Have used it several times, I always stay in the center of the 4' X 8' platform when using the pole saw.
I don't go higher than 5 ' which gives me an easy reach of 19 - 20 feet with the pole saw.

Looks great. I like it. I had an old rivet boat that leaked like a sieve and decided to apply that Line X stuff to keep it to a dull roar. Not only did it seal the heck out of it, but it gave me more traction climbing in and out. Maybe put a non slip coating on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Left the plywood unsanded, the sealer I used really was absorbed into the wood and left the plywood naturally rough.
Thought of sprinkling sand on the last coat while it was still wet, but decided it wasn't needed.
The finish is not slippery at all.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Nice job

Thought about a rail of some type, still thinking about it.
Have used it several times, I always stay in the center of the 4' X 8' platform when using the pole saw.
I don't go higher than 5 ' which gives me an easy reach of 19 - 20 feet with the pole saw.

Left the plywood unsanded, the sealer I used really was absorbed into the wood and left the plywood naturally rough.
Thought of sprinkling sand on the last coat while it was still wet, but decided it wasn't needed.
The finish is not slippery at all.
It looks like you carefully thought through some major safety issues with the attachment, might as well finish by having a railing. Then the only real danger would be a broken hose on the FEL or operator error. A strong railing would even help with those issues as it would give something to grab onto.

I used to be able to hang on to something by one hand if needed, now a railing would be a great comfort to me. For some reason, I have a lot of faith that gravity always works and also that I won't bounce like I used to. Even a 5' fall would be unwelcome.

Treefarmer

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
The real benefit to the size here OC is you can stretch out and take a nap when you get tired. Who would know? :lol:
Nice job. :thumbup1gif:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The real benefit to the size here OC is you can stretch out and take a nap when you get tired. Who would know? :lol:
Nice job. :thumbup1gif:
When my wise a$$ cousin came over walking her dog, she asked, "Why so big?"

Told her if some disco music came on the stereo in the cab I might decide to put down the pole saw and do
a little dancing, need lots of room for my moves.

She rolled her eyes and walked away shaking her head and laughing, I get that a lot from the wimmins folk. :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts

Told her if some disco music came on the stereo in the cab I might decide to put down the pole saw and do

She rolled her eyes and walked away shaking her head and laughing, I get that a lot from the wimmins folk. :lol:
:lol: You and I would make a great tag team. :lolol:

·
Registered
520 Posts

She rolled her eyes and walked away shaking her head and laughing, I get that a lot from the wimmins folk.
If you didn't put the pole saw down would you be pole dancing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Old Pa-pa
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you didn't put the pole saw down would you be pole dancing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That is a scary and somewhat disturbing thought..............Just saying.:lol:

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
I have a work platform pieces all together but never put it together.

My reason? I can’t figure out how to lift myself. I can’t be at the tractor controls and on the platform at the same time.

After reading your thread here I thought of you making a remote for the loader control like you did for your backhoe.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a work platform pieces all together but never put it together.

My reason? I can’t figure out how to lift myself. I can’t be at the tractor controls and on the platform at the same time.

After reading your thread here I thought of you making a remote for the loader control like you did for your backhoe.
Nope, I lift it to a max of 5 feet, have my little 5 foot aluminum ladder I climb up on using the fork side as a hand rail.

Tie off the ladder to the forks with a bungie cord to make sure it doesn't fall over.
It'll blow over pretty easy with wind and I would be up crap creek without a paddle.

Use several bungie cords to secure ladder and pole saw to platform while moving from tree to tree.

I wouldn't trust anyone, including myself, manipulating the loader controls while I'm up there.

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
Nope, I lift it to a max of 5 feet, have my little 5 foot aluminum ladder I climb up on using the fork side as a hand rail.

Tie off the ladder to the forks with a bungie cord to make sure it doesn't fall over.
It'll blow over pretty easy with wind and I would be up crap creek without a paddle.

Use several bungie cords to secure ladder and pole saw to platform while moving from tree to tree.

I wouldn't trust anyone, including myself, manipulating the loader controls while I'm up there.
OK - never thought of doing that. I had my mind on using the hydraulics instead of climbing. But that will work being I am on my own doing stuff like this.

My work platform will have sides - will have to make an access door. Will get a pic later on - it’s sitting at my lumber/pallet department behind the barn.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK - never thought of doing that. I had my mind on using the hydraulics instead of climbing. But that will work being I am on my own doing stuff like this.

My work platform will have sides - will have to make an access door. Will get a pic later on - it’s sitting at my lumber/pallet department behind the barn.
I think just using the ladder to climb up to the platform is a lot safer than trying to run the pole saw from a ladder, was
my reason for building it.

I can get in the 19 - 20 foot range with the Mil Elect pole saw and extension with the platform at 5 feet.

That should save me from having to limb every year or two getting up that high now.

My old gas powered Homelite was just too short to trim way up high.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
I think just using the ladder to climb up to the platform is a lot safer than trying to run the pole saw from a ladder, was
my reason for building it.

I can get in the 19 - 20 foot range with the Mil Elect pole saw and extension with the platform at 5 feet.

That should save me from having to limb every year or two getting up that high now.

My old gas powered Homelite was just too short to trim way up high.
Being half crippled up and not as steady in my feet as I once used to be - when running any kind of saw I just stay planted on the ground now. If I can’t get to what I want that way it stays.

I would use a lift more often for working on stuff on the house. The original section of my house is 2 stories and I just don’t do well with extension ladders. But for what I want to do I wouldn’t have enough height even with the loader at full height.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Being half crippled up and not as steady in my feet as I once used to be - when running any kind of saw I just stay planted on the ground now. If I can’t get to what I want that way it stays.

I would use a lift more often for working on stuff on the house. The original section of my house is 2 stories and I just don’t do well with extension ladders. But for what I want to do I wouldn’t have enough height even with the loader at full height.
My knees are my big problem, thought long and hard if I really wanted to do this.

As far as my back, ain't no way I can handle the pole saw or even weed whacker when it's acting up.

Hope I have the discipline not to use it when they are acting up and also not push the height above 5 feet.

I'm kind of trusting myself not to do something stupid.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts