Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone thinking of getting one of the new Milwaukee Quik-Lok multi-tools, Home Depot is running a promotion where you can get a string trimmer + pole saw or string trimmer + pole hedge trimmer kit with 9Ah battery and charger for $329.

The pole saw by itself sells for $399. So it's like getting a free string trimmer.

The trimmer + pole saw kit is 2825-21ST-49-16-2720

The trimmer + hedge trimmer kit is 2825-21ST-49-16-2719

The promotion is good until July 1.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Do not show me this..........:hide:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
What is the reach with the pole trimmer attachment?

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a Home Depot page showing just the Milwaukee specials for the quick lock trimmer and included goodies -

Special Buys - Outdoors - The Home Depot

CPO Outlets and the other big online tool retailers have the same deals.
The one thing I didn't realize is that Milwaukee isn't yet shipping the 3-foot extension poles. All sites which sell Milwaukee tools show them as a pre-order item. I have some limbs that need trimmed but I'll have to wait until the end of next month. Like Stihl, they advise to only use one extension for safety reasons (i.e. lawyer-ese) but like Stihl you can use two, it's just a bit unwieldy if not kept vertical.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
For anyone thinking of getting one of the new Milwaukee Quik-Lok multi-tools, Home Depot is running a promotion where you can get a string trimmer + pole saw or string trimmer + pole hedge trimmer kit with 9Ah battery and charger for $329.

The pole saw by itself sells for $399. So it's like getting a free string trimmer.

The trimmer + pole saw kit is 2825-21ST-49-16-2720

The trimmer + hedge trimmer kit is 2825-21ST-49-16-2719

The promotion is good until July 1.
Gee thanks.
That just cost me a few hundred.:lol::gizmo:

·
Registered
21,128 Posts
The one thing I didn't realize is that Milwaukee isn't yet shipping the 3-foot extension poles. All sites which sell Milwaukee tools show them as a pre-order item. I have some limbs that need trimmed but I'll have to wait until the end of next month. Like Stihl, they advise to only use one extension for safety reasons (i.e. lawyer-ese) but like Stihl you can use two, it's just a bit unwieldy if not kept vertical.
Yes - common sense comes into play.

With my Harbor Freight pole saw - when fully extended (pole slides) it is all I can take to reach out at a 45deg angle. Just have to be prepared for when the cut completes.

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes - common sense comes into play.

With my Harbor Freight pole saw - when fully extended (pole slides) it is all I can take to reach out at a 45deg angle. Just have to be prepared for when the cut completes.
I currently have a B&D 20V pole saw that when the extension pole is used it is almost 10-feet long. I don't think I've ever used mine at that shallow of an angle as I'm always struggling with maximum reach. It has the motor on the end with the saw and only the battery is on the operator end so like you describe it can be a lot to handle when the cut completes. Unfortunately the way B&S designed the extensions it is physically impossible to install more than one. I have a couple small widow makers that are over my head every time I mow that I just cannot reach without the use of two extensions.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have a Fiskar's telescoping pruner/saw that I've been utilizing. The saw blade cuts fast (when it is sharp) and is affordable to replace when it is dull. I've only replaced it once in nearly 20 years. I believe it will telescope to near 20'. I've been on my 12' stepladder, with it extended fully, and have sawed off dead limbs. I'm gathering with the weight of the pole saw mechanism on the Milwaukee, I wouldn't be able to have that kind of reach. So I think I'm just going to stick with the telescoping pruner/saw for now. Besides, for what little I would utilize it, $350 (with the tax) is hard to justify.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have a Fiskar's telescoping pruner/saw that I've been utilizing. The saw blade cuts fast (when it is sharp) and is affordable to replace when it is dull. I've only replaced it once in nearly 20 years. I believe it will telescope to near 20'. I've been on my 12' stepladder, with it extended fully, and have sawed off dead limbs. I'm gathering with the weight of the pole saw mechanism on the Milwaukee, I wouldn't be able to have that kind of reach. So I think I'm just going to stick with the telescoping pruner/saw for now. Besides, for what little I would utilize it, $350 (with the tax) is hard to justify.
As much as I would love to have the pole saw I’m with you. Stick with my Fiskars pole saw. I have the Milwaukee 16” chain saw and the 12 amp hour batteries from it will fit on the QUIK loc system. Maybe I look at a bare tool version of the pole saw to save some bucks. Fathers Day is fast approaching...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Ill have to look into this.
I dont need the trimmer portion, but I do want a pole saw and a hedge trimmer.

·
Registered
21,128 Posts
I’ve had one of those “manual” pole saws for many years. It cuts so well - actually amazing. I still use it at times even though I now have a cordless pole saw.

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already have one of those. I've had it for over 25 years. Yes, it is an invaluable tool. I've only had to use the saw a few times and use mine more with the rope-operated lopper. I also use one of the Fiskars EZ Reach pruners that was mentioned in the lopper thread a few weeks ago. Both of these tools work great for small limb pruning. I go around now with the Fiskars EZ Reach while I'm mowing and nip off limb ends that brush my head. I hate limbs and shrubs brushing against my head and shoulders while mowing as being in PA all I can think of is the ticks. :)

But for larger stuff a pole saw is the only way to go. I also like to use a short pole saw for limbing and bucking trees and large limbs after storms. It's easy to stand back and limb/buck the sections with the pole saw rather than bending over with the chain saw and having your face close to the action.

I've been very happy with my B&D pole saw and it has served me well for the past 6+ years. But it has a major design flaw in that it has no oiler. So you have to constantly manually oil the chain every few cuts with a oil can. I wanted something that was a bit more powerful AND could be extended with multiple pole sections. I was previously considering the Stihl Kombi system even though I wasn't too thrilled with adding another small engine to my care and feeding roster. When Milwaukee came out with the Quik-Lok system I knew it was the better solution, especially since I already owner other 18V Fuel-powered Milwaukee tools.

But my main attraction to the Milwaukee Quik-Lok system is the pole hedge trimmer. I have one now that is about 5 years old but the motor is on the end and it is a killer to operate. It is also somewhat weak powered. The Milwaukee can cut up to 1" stubs and has more articulation. I will not only use it for trimming hedges but also as a sickle-bar mower for ground cover on my steep banks. In all regards the Milwaukee attachment will be a huge step up from what I have now.

The least useful thing is the string trimmer. I already have a 40V string trimmer that I absolutely love. But... since the current Milwaukee deal was like getting a free string trimmer it would have been dumb not to take advantage of it. Besides, there are a few places where I can use the extra reach of the Milwaukee trimmer.

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As much as I would love to have the pole saw I’m with you. Stick with my Fiskars pole saw. I have the Milwaukee 16” chain saw and the 12 amp hour batteries from it will fit on the QUIK loc system. Maybe I look at a bare tool version of the pole saw to save some bucks. Fathers Day is fast approaching...
I don't think Milwaukee is offering the bare tool version of the pole saw just yet. Only a complete kit with battery and charger. Just like you can't buy just the pole hedge trimmer with a power head. Maybe they will have additional offerings once it is out a while.

They really seem to be pushing the string trimmer as the base kit.

·
Registered
21,128 Posts
Most all my saw work is now doing downed trees from storms. I automatically reach for the pole saw for the same reason you stated. I don’t have to bend over and can always cut in the opposite side of the tree from where I am standing.

Then when just the trunk is left out come the forks - lift it up to around waist high and attack it with the regular saw.

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
I ordered the trimmer and hedge clipper setup. Should be here tomorrow. :good2:

·
Premium Member
7,425 Posts
I am so "heavily" invested :gizmo: in DeWalt cordless, It's easy for me to "pass" on this deal :mocking:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I am so "heavily" invested :gizmo: in DeWalt cordless, It's easy for me to "pass" on this deal :mocking:
I’ve got Dewalt 18 and 20 volt. Makita 18 volt. Bosch 12 volt. Black and Decker 12 volt and Milwaukee 18 volt. The string trimmer just wouldn’t work for me. My gas trimmer usually needs more than one tank so I can’t believe a battery would work.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I don't think Milwaukee is offering the bare tool version of the pole saw just yet. Only a complete kit with battery and charger. Just like you can't buy just the pole hedge trimmer with a power head. Maybe they will have additional offerings once it is out a while.

They really seem to be pushing the string trimmer as the base kit.
They sure are pushing the trimmer. I noticed that if you buy the pole saw as the base it comes with the extension. If you get the pole saw as an add on to the string trimmer you don’t get the extension.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts