Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had my Scut for about 10 days now, and those darn birds like it too much. My water bill will get pretty expensive if I don't get a shed built pretty soon. That or you won't see the green under all the white $&I%. So today I decided to clear out the area where the pool used to be and mark my corners. Took most of the day but my diaginals are only off 1 in for a 20 X 20 shed. Close enough for site work. Will try and tweak it when I put the forms in for the concrete floor. Now to talk to the planning board and get a permit (I hope they're not too picky over such a small shed. Oh yeah also have to get some estimates for concrete work, getting to old to do that grunt work. Will try to post pictures as it comes along for anyone who might be interested

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
looks good but is 20x20 large enough?? you never have to much room...:munch::munch:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm with drifterbike, I would go bigger if you can afford it. Mine is 24 x 48 and I'm out of room!:banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I built a 30x40 and it looked huge when I laid out the pad. Then I put up the building and I wish I had at least gone 10' larger in both directions. I added a shed roof on one side and that helped with getting some implements outside and out of the rain/sun. Go larger if you can swing it.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,216 Posts
No matter what size you get, make sure the door/s are big enough. Good luck. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
536 Posts
No matter what size you get, make sure the door/s are big enough. Good luck. :bigthumb:
Got that right :good2:

And high enough doors so that you can get in with your tractor and the roll bar all the way up.

·
Premium Member
12,863 Posts
I agree with others on the size but also understand that :gizmo: doesn't grow on trees. I would make it with stipulations for an addition in the future but definitely what Levi said, give yourself a nice high door to eliminate the ROPS/garage door battle.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Well I've had my Scut for about 10 days now, and those darn birds like it too much. My water bill will get pretty expensive if I don't get a shed built pretty soon. That or you won't see the green under all the white $&I%. So today I decided to clear out the area where the pool used to be and mark my corners. Took most of the day but my diaginals are only off 1 in for a 20 X 20 shed. Close enough for site work. Will try and tweak it when I put the forms in for the concrete floor. Now to talk to the planning board and get a permit (I hope they're not too picky over such a small shed. Oh yeah also have to get some estimates for concrete work, getting to old to do that grunt work. Will try to post pictures as it comes along for anyone who might be interested
Waaa? You need a permit for a shed? Lol
I remember my FIL going to town of Hill, NH and asking about permits and inspections for his cabin. They were like "inspections for what? You're gonna live in it." lol

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Waaa? You need a permit for a shed? Lol
I remember my FIL going to town of Hill, NH and asking about permits and inspections for his cabin. They were like "inspections for what? You're gonna live in it." lol
YEAH in the big city you need a permit to insure that you get taxed on building. When I was in Allentown I checked with town planning board about an addition to home and was told "Just let me know when it's done ". Different ways for different places.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I built a 20x20 shed for my 1026R (also excavated with that 1026R). I made the doors tall enough for the 1026R with ROPS, but they are just a little low for a 2038R. I wish, looking back, that I had made them taller (as tall as possible, really) for future expansion and/or resale. I’m going to move my door headers up into the gable area (right above the top plate of the wall), gotta love the fact that gable ends aren’t really load bearing. =)

I’ll also say that 20x20 gets eaten up really fast. I thought I’d have all kinds of room. “The tractor is only 4 ft wide” I said (which was wrong with the backhoe... the stabilizers stick out a couple inches on each side). “It’s only 16ft long (with FEL/backhoe)” I said. “That’s room in front and tons of room off to the side”.... but no. You want some room all around the tractor to access things, so 20’ is basically filled front/back once you add 2ft of clear space all the way around. And you really have only the other half extra, which gets filled really fast once you dump a couple implements onto casters. I wish I’d made the shed a little larger... even 24x24. I’ll admit that I suppose I’d be telling you that 30x30 would have been nice if I’d built it 24x24...

But still, I wish I’d done 24x24 so that there was more room behind the tractor when it’s parked with stuff on it and I want to work on it with the doors closed. And sometime soon I will have to raise the door headers and redo that for a larger tractor so that I don’t join the “I hit the top of the door” club (which I know I would) when I upgrade to a 2038r.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear what you're saying, but location, finance, and planning board all conspired to restrict me to this size., so I guess for now this will be it. There's always next year:laugh:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I hear ya, I was lucky to get the finance and design committee (tm) to even agree to a 20x20 tractor shed. *grin* It took some convincing...

A couple ideas that are worth exactly what you are paying for them:
- I would then just say that I think you wouldn't regret it if you can actually put an 8ft door in there. Either by putting the header above the top plate (gable end), or by building an 8ft wall on top of a short/stub block wall, or using 10ft lumber to make taller walls.
- I didn't finish the interior and love hanging tools in the stud bays and/or making small shelves, but (oddly) I wish I'd used 2x6 construction, and then would have 5.5" shelves literally everywhere and deeper bays for hanging tools and trimmers away.
- I built my own doors and made two 7.5'x7.5' ones. I already covered wanting taller *grin*, but I will also likely make that into one 14ft door, leaving 3ft on each side (2.5ft really). I just wish I'd made the door(s) maximally flexible.
- Clopay has really good prices at HomeDespot (tm) but the best prices are through a local installer, way below list. They have a pretty inexpensive metal door with a wood grain "stamped" into it and painted nicely. It looks surprisingly good. I did it on my garage and will be switching to that when I redo the doors here.
- There are people who build and truck over prebuilt ones for way less than you can build. 20x20 would come as two 10x20 units and be joined together darn near invisibly (usually on a vertical seam in the siding). They are real custom stick-built units, just built in a shop and then delivered. I really wanted to learn and so hired a friendly carpenter to do it with me from scratch, but that wasn't the cheapest route and certainly not the easiest either.
- I used PT sheathing all the way around so that I didn't need the weathproofing of the siding, that's because my siding is actually cedar siding that was too damaged to stay on the house. The shed looks pre-aged and I felt better about having had to replace so much of it on the house (previous owners hadn't done proper upkeep).
- GarageJournal was an invaluable site for learning about, well, everything about this. Pictures of other peoples builds, discussions of sites, foundations, walls, roofs, windows, insulation, running utilities, tools, etc...

During:
IMG_0096.jpg

That tractor dug out the foundation (slab with thickened perimeter) and entry pad, lifted the sheathing and shingles (heavy) up, carried all the gravel in, carried all the materials in and scraps out. I dug to a max depth of over 5ft (4ft of buried wall, 8"ft of slab, 8"ft of gravel), I spread the dirt on the low side to build up the platform, compacting as I went with the backhoe bucket as a tamper. That's 40ftx30ft of working area... it's not the fastest tool but it was great fun and worked perfectly.

After:
22-IMG_0289.jpg

The right door is starting to get blocked by implements and tree preventing a straight shot. *sigh*
IMG_0307.jpg

I hope some of this is useful and good luck with your build! You will love your second home... *grin* I can't wait to see pics!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
HunterWare - Great job on the barn. Love the doors! You have one gorgeous piece of property!

I'm kicking around what I want/need to do for implement storage. I HAVE to do SOMETHING! Our Township requires a permit but I'm going to claim "Ag. Use" (I'm zoned Ag, but only have a bit less than 5 acres - but I keep bees which is considered an Ag activity) which negates the $75 fee. But, depending on where I put it I might have to go to the Board of Zoning Appeals for a variance. The zoning regs say that any sort of outbuilding has to be behind the front of the house. But that would mean I have to extend the driveway through the yard and I don't want to do that. Oh, well.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HunterWare
:bigthumb:
Good looking "second home" and thanks for your input. There are a number of reasons for going stick-built not the least of which is to get the look the wife wants. As she bought the 1025R FOR me, you better believe I want her happy with the build.

mark02tj
Good luck with the permit. Some people can be difficult to work with, :banghead: I went down for my permit and they want a plotplan drawn to scale showing property lines and location of all buildings driveways etc.... you'd think that they would have that and only need location of new building. Oh well back to drawing board:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got tired of waiting on estimates from concrete guys, so today started digging up the loam around the old swimming pool to replace it with good fill in preperation for the monolithic pour. Was advised to build up the floor 8 inches above the stonedust with gravel to prepare for concrete. I guess I'll be busy for a while. Glad the 1025R has both a loader and a backhoe. Just wish I had ordered the ripper. Tonight I'm going to order the piranha teeth.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Shouldnt need a permit if its for ag use

I'm in the process of getting a 1025r myself and thinking of another tractor shed. I'm sure it will come in handy with the build

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I'm in the process of getting a 1025r myself and thinking of another tractor shed. I'm sure it will come in handy with the build
YEAH, I actually live in the city on about one ac and IMO the only reason for the permit is to insure you are taxed for the bldg. I don't know if it is true, but have heard in the past that the city has made owners, who did not get permit for construction done, tear it down. I am finding that the tractor is doing a great job with the site work, limited only by my inexperience :lol: . In the past month and a half I've put 40hr on it. It's been a fun learning experience. I was going to get a new lawn tractor but my wife said "no get what you need to reclaim the back yard" (SHE'S A KEEPER ) I'm sure you'll find the 1025R to be very helpful with any projects you come up with. Start a thread and post pictures when you start on your tractor shed

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
YEAH, I actually live in the city on about one ac and IMO the only reason for the permit is to insure you are taxed for the bldg. I don't know if it is true, but have heard in the past that the city has made owners, who did not get permit for construction done, tear it down. I am finding that the tractor is doing a great job with the site work, limited only by my inexperience :lol: . In the past month and a half I've put 40hr on it. It's been a fun learning experience. I was going to get a new lawn tractor but my wife said "no get what you need to reclaim the back yard" (SHE'S A KEEPER ) I'm sure you'll find the 1025R to be very helpful with any projects you come up with. Start a thread and post pictures when you start on your tractor shed

chuckle.....everyone has inexperience before they gain experience.....just go slow and easy as you learn your machine and its limitations.
I already have one tractor shed and an old feeder barn i am planning to fix up which would be great for another tractor. My old tractor shed has a dirt floor and flow through ventilation another project in need of addressing. The floor is gonna be concrete before the rains begin for sure this year. Keep the old lawn mower for mowing I'm sure it will get around trees better than the new one. Part of my backyard has an orchard of vintage apple trees, pears and cherries some have low branches that i havent the heart to cut so iwill keep my sears lawn tractor for mowing and use the new one for bigger projects.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts

Depends om You State and County around Here even the Farmer Need a Permit for a structure :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Depends om You State and County around Here even the Farmer Need a Permit for a structure :bigthumb:
In Douglas county Oregon most ag related buildings don't require a permit. Permit fees, just another way to squeeze money out of us. The original concept was good but it soon got out of hand some permits for adding a second story to a single family residence in a city neighborhood in Sacramento Ca. cost $75,000 or more. Thats stealing

1 - 20 of 26 Posts