Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's another one of those windy, rainy, 45* cold days here in Eastern NC, and I got to rummaging around the cupboard lookin' for some fixin's to make a clam chowder. Found two 10 ounce cans of baby clams, checked the freezer, found a two pound bag of mixed veggies, (corn, string beans, diced carrots, just use 1/2 the bag), pulled out two healthy 'taters from the 'tater-bin, sliced up the 'taters into small pieces, ('bout the size of a normal mans small finger-tip), pre-cooked them, added all the other ingredients into a 6 quart stainless pot along with half of a 32 ounce jar of V-8 low sodium, added the pre-cooked 'taters when they were just soft enough to not have a crunch when bit into, added a medium dash of garlic salt, 3 pinches of parsley, 1 pinch of basil, and let simmer for half an hour before ladling out into a bowl.
Oyster crackers on hand, it was time to feed the grocery-hole, and it was DELICIOUS !!!! :thumbup1gif:
And that folks, is how we do it down east here.... :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
I sure love clam chowder, especially New England. Tabasco sauce goes really well with it.

·
Registered
21,510 Posts
Man did this thread title get my attention! Manhattan Clam Chowder is my favorite soup but have never had homemade. And it's so hard to find around here - all the stores stock only New England style for the most part.

I know I probably don't know what I am missing only ever having Campbell's........

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man did this thread title get my attention! Manhattan Clam Chowder is my favorite soup but have never had homemade. And it's so hard to find around here - all the stores stock only New England style for the most part.

I know I probably don't know what I am missing only ever having Campbell's........
From the time you start (using this recipe) till the time you set down to eat, maybe an hour and a half.
Not too shabby, and enough to feed 6 grownups. :fed:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
Don't know why but it's really hard to find good clam chowder in the store around here.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know why but it's really hard to find good clam chowder in the store around here.
In NY? I was under the impression that NY had a pretty good handle on most all foods?
Well, then again, most time us here in the South hear "NY", we tend to think of mainstream city life.
That being said, I'm not real sure where "Texas NY" is located, but, I do know that UPSTATE NY is quite a different world than NYC.
First time I ever had the pleasure of eating Ground Hog was up near Thousand Islands on the way to a fishing trip in Quebec, and it was mighty tasty. Kinda' sorta' reminded me of baked Muskrat, which I do love, and not often enough.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
In NY? I was under the impression that NY had a pretty good handle on most all foods?
Well, then again, most time us here in the South hear "NY", we tend to think of mainstream city life.
That being said, I'm not real sure where "Texas NY" is located, but, I do know that UPSTATE NY is quite a different world than NYC.
First time I ever had the pleasure of eating Ground Hog was up near Thousand Islands on the way to a fishing trip in Quebec, and it was mighty tasty. Kinda' sorta' reminded me of baked Muskrat, which I do love, and not often enough.
We are in upstate NY. http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/forum-help-suggestions/12038-edit.html

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
In NY? I was under the impression that NY had a pretty good handle on most all foods?Well, then again, most time us here in the South hear "NY", we tend to think of mainstream city life.
They sure do not know how to make cornbread dressing!!!

·
8,558 Posts
Cornbread-->Butter on top-->Maple Syrup on top of that..... Life is good!

While I love *real* maple syrup, and I love cornbread, and would probably love the 2 together, that is NOT Cornbread Dressing!! :laugh:

But yes, LIFE IS GOOD!!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
While I love *real* maple syrup, and I love cornbread, and would probably love the 2 together, that is NOT Cornbread Dressing!! :laugh:

But yes, LIFE IS GOOD!!
I know. Redneck here ya know. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts

But yes, LIFE IS GOOD!!
Yep! And Sharn Jean makes the BEST cornbread dressing you ever put in your mouth. Learned from my Mom, who learned from my Paternal Grandmother, who learned....

·
8,558 Posts
Yep! And Sharn Jean makes the BEST cornbread dressing you ever put in your mouth. Learned from my Mom, who learned from my Paternal Grandmother, who learned....
Then get the recipe and post it up!!!!

I'll post mine up too, later. It also has been handed down for generations!! The best kind of recipes! :good2:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Hey Bill Berger,

I decided to try your recipe today, here's how it went:

Clam Chowder 1 - Ingredients.jpg

My ingredients. This is what I had. I added an onion, it was next to the taters. :) Home made garlic powder for garlic salt and Italian seasoning for your other herbs.

Clam Chowder 2 - Healthy Potatos.jpg

You specified healthy taters, one of mine looks sick.

Clam Chowder 3 - Potato Amputation.jpg

An operation was required, but all came out well and two healthy taters were ready to go.

Clam Chowder 4 - Regular Mans Finger.jpg

Not sure exactly what a regular mans finger size is, but I've been told I have smallish fingers, so I went with this size.

Clam Chowder 5 - Pre-Cook Potatos.jpg

Pre-Cook taters.

Clam Chowder 6 - Cry Me a River.jpg

Cry me a river here. ;) I didn't saute my onions, they are sweet onions and will do fine.

Clam Chowder 7 - Drain Potatos.jpg

Drain Taters.

Clam Chowder 8 - 2 Cups of V8.jpg

32/2*8= 2 Cups. Holy geez, I just noticed that there are ounce markings on my measuring cup.

Clam Chowder 8 - All in Good to Go.jpg

Good to go, everything in ready to simmer.

Clam Chowder 9 - Ready to Eat.jpg

Ready to eat. No oyster crackers here, baby saltine crackers in our pantry here. Chowder and a little wine. All in plastic, because I am a simple man.

Clam Chowder 10 - Ummm Good.jpg

That was really good. This is after my second bowl, I couldn't stuff more crackers down me at this point.

Thanks for the recipe. It was what I needed to wipe out the thanks giving turkey haze. :laugh: I hope you enjoy my version of your recipe, feel free to point out my mistakes ;)

(Also sorry for the poor phone quality pics, I did not get the big camera out.)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Bill Berger,

View attachment 36113

My ingredients. This is what I had. I added an onion, it was next to the taters. :) Home made garlic powder for garlic salt and Italian seasoning for your other herbs.

View attachment 36114

View attachment 36115

An operation was required, but all came out well and two healthy taters were ready to go.

View attachment 36116

Not sure exactly what a regular mans finger size is, but I've been told I have smallish fingers, so I went with this size.

View attachment 36119

Pre-Cook taters.

View attachment 36121

Cry me a river here. ;) I didn't saute my onions, they are sweet onions and will do fine.

View attachment 36123

Drain Taters.

View attachment 36124

32/2*8= 2 Cups. Holy geez, I just noticed that there are ounce markings on my measuring cup.

View attachment 36125

View attachment 36126

Ready to eat. No oyster crackers here, baby saltine crackers in our pantry here. Chowder and a little wine. All in plastic, because I am a simple man.

View attachment 36127

That was really good. This is after my second bowl, I couldn't stuff more crackers down me at this point.

Thanks for the recipe. It was what I needed to wipe out the thanks giving turkey haze. :laugh: I hope you enjoy my version of your recipe, feel free to point out my mistakes ;)

No problem, I'm just happy as a hog in slop that you tried it and enjoyed it !!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
21,510 Posts
Hey Bill Berger,

View attachment 36113

View attachment 36114

View attachment 36115

View attachment 36116

View attachment 36119

Pre-Cook taters.

View attachment 36121

View attachment 36123

Drain Taters.

View attachment 36124

View attachment 36125

View attachment 36126

View attachment 36127

Awesome that you took pics along the way - enjoyed that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts