Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a place for this, so here's a thread for those projects you don't want to start a whole thread on, but they didn't seem to have a home anywhere else. The irony of me starting this thread is not lost on me.

We're getting a new roof starting Thursday, and thanks to the "chimney" feature on my house, a bunch of water got in and saturated the roof deck, so we're getting new decking too. This chimney is a chase only, never functioned as an actual chimney, interrupts the roof line and generally is just a risk for water ingress. In order to eliminate that risk for the new roof, I decided it had to come off of the house.

The offending chimney:

Started teardown Friday about 2:30, ended up here after 4 or 5 hours:

Started the patch on Saturday, had to paint some trim in the morning so I wasn't able to get started until about 11. Cut a 5/12 pitch into the leftover chase, then framed in a little rafter support for the new roof deck, put on new sheeting and tar paper:

Installed T1-11 siding to cover the hole. This is a patch until this summer when I can tear everything off this side and re-side. The chase will get shorter then too, it was blocked at the top of the first floor, and I decided to leave that intact until it's not so wet here.

The old furing strips need the caulk cut off of them and some paint, but it should hold for a few months. Putting up that 4x8 sheet by myself was dicey, but got it done in the end. Finished up about 8:30 Saturday night, then had to get on the roof to nail the tarp back down over the hole, probably wouldn't choose to do that again with a headlamp.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Sometime we have to ask for help, I know I was like you. I put double hung windows big ones in my old house upstairs myself, from the inside out was tricky. Won't ever do that again even if I could.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometime we have to ask for help, I know I was like you. I put double hung windows big ones in my old house upstairs myself, from the inside out was tricky. Won't ever do that again even if I could.
Yep, I was really wishing I had some help. Unfortunately, my help ran out right before hanging the siding, my brother was able to swing by for a couple hours Saturday, but he had a prior commitment, and I decided to push through. The risk in hanging it was dropping it, I never felt in any danger, but I am glad I got it on because we got some decent wind, hail, and wet snow today.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The drip edge goes on the sides of the roof plywood and across the bottom edge of the plywood , before tar paper and shingles. The aluminum L flashing, you put under the t-111,and over the shingles is correct. On the first picture drip edge is visible on the edge of the house roof where the shingles meet the fascia. This drip edge has to be on the new roof also.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The drip edge goes on the sides of the roof plywood and across the bottom edge of the plywood , before tar paper and shingles. The aluminum L flashing, you put under the t-111,and over the shingles is correct. On the first picture drip edge is visible on the edge of the house roof where the shingles meet the fascia. This drip edge has to be on the new roof also.
Oh, I gotcha now. No, there is no drip edge there, the tar paper over hangs by 1/2", the shingles overhang the tar paper by another inch. I'm not concerned about the roof deck lasting because this will only be in place about 3 months, then the entire side of the house is coming off and being re-sided (original owners took the recall check for the LP and sold) in fiber cement lap. At that time, I'll reduce the chimney further to only be as tall as the bump out for an insert requires, maybe 5 feet, and at the point the roofing will get better treatment and shingles to match the new house roof.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Didn't realize it was a temporary roof ...ok.. my son in law bought a house the previous owner had built a porch roof without drip edge and it was rotting on the lower edge after 2 years.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to supply the new fascia and barge boards for my roof in order to save about $2k in markup, and I've found that I'm not a huge fan of painting trim. My roofer bumped the schedule up by 4 days, so it really puts the pressure on me to get it done. I can get 12 boards in paint at any given time, and the only saving grace I have is that since I put a 10kW heater in my garage, I can start painting one side of the boards, and by the time I finish the 12th one, the first is dry to the touch and I can flip and start on a new side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts