Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made this gun rest out of steel I had on hand. I have rubber feet that slip over the rest's steel feet.
They cost in the neighborhood of $100 for a good one. I probably have $40 invested in this one not counting the leather gun rest. The rear stock holder is the same one that the US Army uses. it's made heavy, the legs are made from 1" bar stock.

To take the slop out of the 1" all-thread's threads I welded a 1" nut to the bottom of the plate and turned a second 1" nut until all the slop was out and then tacked it to the top nut inside the 3" square tubing.. The 1" all-thread turns so smoothly now it feels liked the parts were machined.

The 6 locking rods were silver brazed/soldered into the 1" nut

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts
Oh Man that is sexy:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kenny, it would make a good 4 H project. It's just 1" bar stock, 1 1/4 X 1/8 square tubing.

I took a piece of the 1" barstock about 4" long and ground a 15 degree angle across it's face to make a cutting edge and then drove it through the 1 1/4" sq tube to take the flashing/seam out of the tube so it would telescope over the 1" bar stock, It worked out well.

Then I drilled I think 6 adjustment holes 1" apart and welded on the threaded square steel piece you see under the sq tube for the plastic handle with a stud to thread into.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Sweet. I could have used one of those sighting in a rifle the other day. I was using a sandbag but still seeing way too much shake. . . It's frustrating when you know the gun is a lot better than you are, lol.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
209 Posts
Great job - that thing looks AWESOME!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts