Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this video today, and honestly I'm impressed. I can see room for improvement in some design areas (like the bicycle chain driving the tail rotor), but give these guys a lot of credit for building and getting it off the ground.

The video is in Russian. I have no idea what they're saying. :laugh: And yeah, I'd try to fly that. :good2:

·
Administrator
20,664 Posts
Impressive. But I can't help but think the pilot was either very dumb or very skilled with that machine. Also very interesting when it stalled and the other guy walked up to it with his head inches from the rotating rotors. Idiot. :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts
Doesn't look like it is very much ,but it flew. Nice.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
That was really nice. :good2: Obviously a skilled heli pilot, and amazing what people can do in their own backyards!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I don't speak any Russian -- but I have to believe that somewhere in there was a line equivalent to
" here...hold my vodka and watch THIS...!!" :lol:

No FAA, No OSHA, just make it work...

Chuck
Sort of how aviation got its beginnings in the USA! Barnstormers, wing walkers, etc., were only limited by the mind and the guts!

I have a photo, given me by a friend, of Sikorsky on one of his early helicopters. It is airborne, but just barely, and it is tethered so that it can't get too high (2-3 feet) or too far from "start". I guess he had his doubts about its safety. Didn't stop him from creating, building and testing though. :drinks:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
This isn't my friend's but similar concept:

Helicopter powered with a VW aircoold motor + vw gearbox - YouTube

He built his in the late 1980s. Stock air-cooled VW 1600cc engine and the tranny is rotated 90 degrees so one axle stub is used to power the main rotor. He was going to get FAA approval to sell it as a kit, but the FAA required a body on it, and it was going to add too much weight, so he just used it himself and never offered the kits.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Found this video today, and honestly I'm impressed. I can see room for improvement in some design areas (like the bicycle chain driving the tail rotor), but give these guys a lot of credit for building and getting it off the ground.

Hey, don't knock bicycle chain, the Wright Brothers drove both propellers on their flyer with bike chain...

"Hey Orville, I checked out that V-belt at John Deere... You ain't gonna believe the price!"

"Well Wilbur, I guess we'll just use that old bike chain you've been collectin' in your "you never know when you'll need it" bin..."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts