Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my almost complete homemade leaf vacuum. Still needs a mower deck to engine hose but otherwise complete. I fabricated the frame, bought a new 7 hp engine from Tractor supply, salvaged an old aluminum leaf vac blower and hopper that needed extensive work. Hopper tilts and self locks the gate when the hopper is dropped back down. I built a lever at the front of the hopper to release and tip the hopper. I decided to make it a 3pt hitch attachment instead of a trailer for a couple reasons. First, I don't have to worry about tires going flat and second, the vacuum trails behind me perfect so I don't have to worry about backing up a short trailer. Total cost was around $300.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Neat........ I have day dreamed about building something similar.

Do you think you will need one or a pair of caster wheels under the back when it is full .... ?

Good luck

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Do you think you will need one or a pair of caster wheels under the back when it is full .... ?
Thats what I was thinking, that will be a lot of weight very far back.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my almost complete homemade leaf vacuum. Still needs a mower deck to engine hose but otherwise complete. I fabricated the frame, bought a new 7 hp engine from Tractor supply, salvaged an old aluminum leaf vac blower and hopper that needed extensive work. Hopper tilts and self locks the gate when the hopper is dropped back down. I built a lever at the front of the hopper to release and tip the hopper. I decided to make it a 3pt hitch attachment instead of a trailer for a couple reasons. First, I don't have to worry about tires going flat and second, the vacuum trails behind me perfect so I don't have to worry about backing up a short trailer. Total cost was around $300.
I don't think I will need a wheel but if I find it is too heavy I will install one in the center. It really doesn't weigh that much and my 1026 can easily pick it up even when full of leaves and grass.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Looking good Troy!!! Be sure to let us know how it works. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Nice build.:good2:

Does the motor/blower tilt with the hopper? or do you have to disconnect the top hose/how does it connect?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
What RPM does that engine run at, 3000? I'm wondering if a 6:1 gearbox and PTO shaft could be used instead of a separate gas engine.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice build.:good2:

Does the motor/blower tilt with the hopper? or do you have to disconnect the top hose/how does it connect?
The top hose is not connected to the hopper. It is connected to a stationary piece that is solid to the frame of the vacuum. When you tilt the hopper the upper hose stays exactly where it is.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What RPM does that engine run at, 3000? I'm wondering if a 6:1 gearbox and PTO shaft could be used instead of a separate gas engine.
Yes, it's right around 3000 rpm. I would have liked to use the rear PTO but the cost of a gearbox and drive shaft alone were much more than the new gas engine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I read a while back about people having a little trouble with the tractor not being able to keep PTO RPM with the belly mower running and a PTO driven vacuum running too. The problem was evidently that going uphill became problematic without lugging (under that load). From those posts I think you might be ahead of the game with this design.

I can't find the thread now but I believe the discussion was about a 2305 (which should still pretty much apply to us) and several years ago, possibly on another forum.

I'm enjoying the build, nice job!

- Hunter

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Yes, it's right around 3000 rpm. I would have liked to use the rear PTO but the cost of a gearbox and drive shaft alone were much more than the new gas engine.
Then I'd say you made the same decision I would have. :laugh:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I tried to post a couple more pics of my finished lawn vacuum but I need to resize the pics. I got a new camera

1 - 13 of 13 Posts