Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got access to a computer guided plasma cutter and am thinking of making a Parana type toothbar from scratch. You think it can be done?

Anyone know how thick the metal is and if the bar and the tabs are the same thickness?

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
Can it be done? Sure. I think it’s made from 1/2 Abrasion Resistant steel, but it’s been awhile since I looked at mine. It’s cut on a 3D plasma though so the teeth are beveled, can the one you have access to do that? Have you priced design, material and machine time?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can it be done? Sure. I think it’s made from 1/2 Abrasion Resistant steel, but it’s been awhile since I looked at mine. It’s cut on a 3D plasma though so the teeth are beveled, can the one you have access to do that? Have you priced design, material and machine time?

It's at my local high school and would be a student project. The only cost would be materials.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It should be a learning experience. It would be fun if you could run a partial program on a small piece to get your angles where you want them. Have Fun!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
350 Posts
If I had access to a machine like that I would make two bars in a heart beat..
Not necessarily the same tooth pattern as the purchased Piranha, but back to back teeth on the two bars, offset just enough to make them turn out identical when laid together.

I have a purchased Piranha bar and it works well. I got it mostly to prevent ware on the bucket edge. I do intend to invent a bar that works better at scoring ice and cleaning snow on the drive and yard.

Be sure to post pictures.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a really interesting idea.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's at my local high school and would be a student project. The only cost would be materials.
The creative use of slave labor.

:flag_of_truce: :flag_of_truce: :flag_of_truce: :flag_of_truce: :flag_of_truce:

That could be a worthwhile project for the students. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If I had access to a machine like that I would make two bars in a heart beat..
Not necessarily the same tooth pattern as the purchased Piranha, but back to back teeth on the two bars, offset just enough to make them turn out identical when laid together.

I have a purchased Piranha bar and it works well. I got it mostly to prevent ware on the bucket edge. I do intend to invent a bar that works better at scoring ice and cleaning snow on the drive and yard.

Be sure to post pictures.
Airports and public works have worked on that since the invention of graders, without a lot of success . . . they would love it if you could come up with an innovative solution . . . good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts