Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone make sausage? Wife and I got together with my son and his wife @ there place on Saturday to make 50# of salami (no i in the pronunciation). Recipe was from aunt in the mid-west town in Illinois where I grew. Local grocery stores would make it on occasion and sell it over the counter. It should be stuffed in a 2.5 to 3" natural casing but this is all we found. It went slow @ first as we were using stuffers that attach to mixers. When we broke for lunch after the first 10#'s and while they ate I drove to Cabela's and picked up a 20# vertical stuffer. Wow, very easy so the rest went much faster. One week in the frig to dry and cure and then vacuum pack it.
We plan on doing Italian and Polish in the near future :thumbup1gif:. My mom would boiled a few, then 1/2" slices served on buttered white bread with celery stalks . . . . mmm!! :fed:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Looks mighty delicious!! Maybe I'll just have to get one of those Frontier 3pt. sausage makers for my 1026.:crazy::laugh:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
If you have a slaughterhouse close by, they will often give you the hog intestines from a fresh slaughter to use for the casing. A good friend makes all of his own sausage from the deer he and his kids and grandkids get each season. He was wanting to buy "hog guts" from the facility, but they give it to him. Might be worth looking into around there.

You will never want store bought sausage again, after making your own. And, in the initial few times of making it, you will tweak the seasonings a little, until you find what is perfect for you!

Looks good!! :fed:

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
If you have a slaughterhouse close by, they will often give you the hog intestines from a fresh slaughter to use for the casing. A good friend makes all of his own sausage from the deer he and his kids and grandkids get each season. He was wanting to buy "hog guts" from the facility, but they give it to him. Might be worth looking into around there.

You will never want store bought sausage again, after making your own. And, in the initial few times of making it, you will tweak the seasonings a little, until you find what is perfect for you!

Looks good!! :fed:
farmgirl ; I didn't think anybody still scrapped or I guess remembered that part of butcher day, only both of my grand mothers would do this job when I was young, reason was because my aunts would put holes in casings to get out of this job. big sissys!! is what grand parents would say. they didn't like turning them inside out to scrape them back then.:laugh: as kids our job was cutting up fat for lard, lots of bawling when some one cut their fingers. I loved butcher day all my uncles fought over the tongue and jaw meat after it was cooked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts