Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built a sleeve hitch for a garden tractor. I'm debating on one for my john deere x475. Just not sure I would use it enough to justify buying a pre fab one.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
If you have hydros why not go with a 3pt hitch,more useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Has anyone built a sleeve hitch for a garden tractor. I'm debating on one for my john deere x475. Just not sure I would use it enough to justify buying a pre fab one.
What implements, accessories, or projects are you considering? Those requirements will be a big factor in how much time or money you spend on a hitch. If tweaking is a hobby, you should go for the 3-point option as recommended previously to increase vertical lift capability. (My lawn tractor is much smaller, so a 2" receiver hitch is the best I could do. I grew up with 'real' tractors and miss the 3-pt versatility.)

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have a factory sleeve hitch on my X580. It works very well and there's a lot to be said for the line of attachments available. But, with all of that said if I owned the OP's tractor it would be a 3ph all the way. Thousands of attachments and pricing for quality attachments isn't all that bad.

An example might be my wood chipper. I paid $2700 for a 5" chipper. Not a cheap chipper, and well worth the money. However, if I had a 3ph and PTO I could have bought a much better and more capable chipper for the same amount of cash. It's up to the OP, but if I had a machine capable of working a 3ph the sleeve hitch would be an after thought. (But I do really like my JD mounted electric spreader.)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Look at the Omni-hitch or Heavy-hitch for your 3PH. Way more versatile. If too much $$, consider a straight 2" trailer receiver. Match drill it to your tractor sleeve and then you can use any 2" device made for a trailer receiver. I used that setup for years on my 425. Worked great. Harbor Freight has the best prices on trailer hitch adapters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts