Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few years ago I read an article online about making a cheap TV antenna. I had a TV in my shop and wanted to be able to watch TV. I didn't have much faith in it working. I just used stuff I had laying around in the shop. It worked and worked pretty good I was able to get 18 channels. I was watching HD TV in no time. The first one was pretty crude and far from pretty. I posted that little project on the sister site WFM. Over the years I heard from several guys that after they read that post they made there own...and they worked.

My son is working as an intern and didn't want to pay for cable. He's a big John Deere guy, so I made him an antenna and thought I'd pass the info on to anyone that might be interested. The new one gets 26 channels. Here's a link for one similar to mine. Watch Television For Free - DIY Digital TV Antenna Searching Google Images might be a better way to go. Don't get too hung up on making the dimensions exact, you only have to come close.

antenna.jpg
The first one in the shop. Look Emergency is on.

20160203_121625.jpg

20160203_125439.jpg
Proof it works!

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info Giz; but I have to admit, that green job looks like a tree full of baby owls! :laugh:
I was going more for a JD wheel look. You're right, baby owls.:banghead: It is all real JD paint.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,727 Posts
A few years ago I read an article online about making a cheap TV antenna. I had a TV in my shop and wanted to be able to watch TV. I didn't have much faith in it working. I just used stuff I had laying around in the shop. It worked and worked pretty good I was able to get 18 channels. I was watching HD TV in no time. The first one was pretty crude and far from pretty. I posted that little project on the sister site WFM. Over the years I heard from several guys that after they read that post they made there own...and they worked.

My son is working as an intern and didn't want to pay for cable. He's a big John Deere guy, so I made him an antenna and thought I'd pass the info on to anyone that might be interested. The new one gets 26 channels. Here's a link for one similar to mine. Watch Television For Free - DIY Digital TV Antenna Searching Google Images might be a better way to go. Don't get too hung up on making the dimensions exact, you only have to come close.

View attachment 126041
The first one in the shop. Look Emergency is on.

View attachment 126049

View attachment 126057
Proof it works!
Reminds me of the old, big Bowtie UHF TV antennas from back in the day.
One thing good about digital, either you got signal or you ain't, no inbetwixt. :lol:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
One thing good about digital, either you got signal or you ain't, no inbetwixt. :lol:
I,, for one,, am stuck in the inbetwixt,,, I assume there are others,,,
Signal-wise,, I am actually pretty close to the broadcast antennas,, (~30 miles)

The TV stations that service my area broadcast from south of my location,,,

There are hills to the north of my home,, relative to the TV broadcast antennas,,

I installed a rotor direct-able antenna,, depending on the weather, and leaves on the trees (season),,
I either have to aim the antenna north or south to get a partly usable signal,,,

Many times,, the two signals I receive interfere with each other,,, :dunno:

Because of the variability of signal,, I switched to listening to FM radio in the shop!!:laugh:

I gave the TV to my daughter,, she uses Dish Network to get a signal,,,

·
Old Pa-pa
11,727 Posts
Signal-wise,, I am actually pretty close to the broadcast antennas,, (~30 miles)

There are hills to the north of my home,, relative to the TV broadcast antennas,,

I installed a rotor direct-able antenna,, depending on the weather, and leaves on the trees (season),,
I either have to aim the antenna north or south to get a partly usable signal,,,

Because of the variability of signal,, I switched to listening to FM radio in the shop!!:laugh:

Looks like you would need a pretty tall mast to at least get above the trees in your area, them hills ain't helping at all.
Down here, we're so flat, I can pick up New Orleans and Baton Rouge TV stations with a little single "T" shaped job
inside the house.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Don, That's the good wall. I found those boards in the hay mow, stained and varnished them and put them up. The shop is an old grainery complete with true hard, very hard 2x6s. When I put the chipboard on the other walls I had to pre-drill holes for the screws. Drilling holes for the electrical was a treat too. It all worked out.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I think if you take that hill down you'd get much better reception.:lol:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have been working at it for 30+ years,,, haven't made much headway,,,:dunno:

All I got to show for it is a flat garden spot,,,

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Should be easy. After all, it looks like a "land plane" behind the Cub Cadet. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Should be easy. After all, it looks like a "land plane" behind the Cub Cadet. :laugh:
I have lived here since 1982,,, E V E R Y year,, I have moved significant amounts of earth for some reason,,, :dunno:

My wife has kept track!! :thumbup1gif:

You gotta do something to keep busy,,,

You GOTTA do something besides mow grass!! :bigthumb:

:lolol:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,727 Posts
I have lived here since 1982,,, E V E R Y year,, I have moved significant amounts of earth for some reason,,, :dunno:

My wife has kept track!! :thumbup1gif:

You gotta do something to keep busy,,,

:lolol:
So where's the rest of the tractor for that backhoe?
No wonder progress is slow. :lol:

·
Registered
12,280 Posts
CadPlans; aw-don't pay no mind to old Cajun, once I seen u videos on u-yube I went back and watched all of them u had posted. ur little backhoe's are so neat, and seem to do a very good job. also liked the pic of the cat 955 leveling out a spot for ur garden, and I'm also partial to the wheel horse u had their mowing.

now tell me if I messed up on the cat track loader--was it a cat??
also was that wheel horse mowing too. just wondering--still love all ur pics. big jim

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
CadPlans; aw-don't pay no mind to old Cajun, once I seen u videos on u-yube I went back and watched all of them u had posted. ur little backhoe's are so neat, and seem to do a very good job. also liked the pic of the cat 955 leveling out a spot for ur garden, and I'm also partial to the wheel horse u had their mowing.

now tell me if I messed up on the cat track loader--was it a cat??
also was that wheel horse mowing too. just wondering--still love all ur pics. big jim
I never owned a Wheel Horse,,, that is a Gravely,,,

24HP and 6 foot cut,,,

One of these days I will crank up the CADTrac and make a video of it,,, :dunno:

·
Registered
12,280 Posts
I never owned a Wheel Horse,,, that is a Gravely,,,

24HP and 6 foot cut,,,

One of these days I will crank up the CADTrac and make a video of it,,, :dunno:
oh--:oops: from the distance I thought-maybe it was something else-forgive me:hide: I never owned or had the chance to run one, but that thing looks like it was built like a tank. but was I right about the cat!:munch:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Big Jim,
I'm not positive, but with the vertical ROPS posts, I'm going to guess that it's a Cat 951C.

·
Registered
12,280 Posts
I have been working at it for 30+ years,,, haven't made much headway,,,:dunno:

All I got to show for it is a flat garden spot,,,

:bigthumb:
Cadplans, sorry to bother u again, but what model is ur track loader here, I can't blow ur pic up, so I can see better. is it cat, international, and the size too. I know, I'm a pain in the butt.:dunno:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts