Green Tractor Talk banner

Honda eu2200i or Generac gp2200i

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a small generator to run a residential oil burner. Like real soon.
Honda eu2200i or the Generac gp2200i

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
This is a really good question that I have asked myself when considering a small inverter generator. They are so similar that it's a difficult decision.

I would have to give the Honda a slight edge based only on my experience with several Honda powered implements, including two conventional generators. However, the Generacs are building quite a good reputation for reliability at a lesser cost than the Hondas. It's a really tough call for me to decide which is better and that's probably why I don't own either one yet.

It'll be interesting to see the results of the poll.

Where's the "Undecided" choice. :unknown: :laugh:

·
Registered
20,805 Posts
Have you considered Harbor Freight? Their inverter generator have some pretty good review. $500 and not sure if the 20% coupon works....

2000 Watt Super Quiet Inverter Generator

Inquiring minds want to know...are you shutting off the electricity at that house? Planning on running the generator 24/7 to run the furnace? If it is a boiler do you have a way to hook up the circulator pumps also?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I had been debating getting a small generator for years. I would always think maybe later. About 2 months ago, I needed a small generator to complete a job.
I had to repair 5 port hole windows in an old business building in our downtown. The windows were over 10ft off of the ground. There was no electric available.
I wanted to have the generator on the scaffolding so I could run it only when I needed it. I looked at 4 small generators. Generac, Briggs, Harbor Freight & Honda.
I went with the Honda because I have a large Honda dealer about a mile from me. If service was needed on the other brands, the service centers were in Cincinnati or Indianapolis. 1 to 2 hours away.
The Honda worked great. Always started on the first pull.

·
Registered
11,895 Posts
Gernerac's have a Honda engine in them, so you're basically looking at the same generator with a different paint scheme.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I had a Honda eu2200 for about 6 years, till I switched to a bigger one with a Honda motor, ran good and quiet as far as generators go. Always started first pull, though it did get a rigid fuel maintenance program

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I need a small generator to run a residential oil burner. Like real soon.
Honda eu2200i or the Generac gp2200i
I have had the Honda EU3000is for years and its been worth its weight in gold. Incredibly reliable, unbelievably quiet, amazingly fuel efficient. You can stand right over the top of it while it's running and have a conversation in a normal voice without any difficulties. Also, their Auto IDle feature is why it sips fuel and remains so quiet. It adjusts the operating speed based upon load, which is ideal for a generator running items which turn on and off based upon need (refrigerators, freezers, heating systems, etc.)

While there are cheaper versions out in the market, there are none better than the Honda for long life, reliability, and KNOWING it will be there and do what's it designed to when needed. Mine often sits for a Year or more and is always on a battery tender. Turn the key, and it runs.......everytime.

It should be noted that I NEVER run any ethanol blended fuel in it and for the same outstanding results, I suggest this course of action.

It sips fuel so getting a couple of 5 gallon jugs of marine fuel will keep the generator running for 3 or 4 continuous days, even more. The "EU" series with the "i" designation produces very clean electricity and you can plug a computer and very sensitive electronics into it without worry.

I have had 4 different Generac Generators but every one was a diesel and they were between 6k and 22k in motor coaches and my Renegade Toterhome and stacker car hauler. They all were reliable and ran well. Put about 2,800 hrs on the longest owned unit. I have a Generac service center within an hour and they were always good. I have not had any experience with the Generac gas generators, but have no reason to think it would be troublesome.

Just as Generac and Onan seem to own the larger diesel generator markets in RV's and Marine use, Honda has long been the leader in the small gas powered units.

As a talented mechanic who is known to have sweat pants with pockets full of honey roasted nuts, you will likely be able to handle the service yourself. The availability of local service and parts for both would be an important consideration for most. While you can get any repair parts in a couple of days via the internet and the brown truck, a couple of three days of down time without electricity during an emergency is a LONG TIME to wait........

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have the Honda 2200 and it has never failed me. Use non ethanol fuel and have no worries.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Gernerac's have a Honda engine in them, so you're basically looking at the same generator with a different paint scheme.
Where are you finding this information? All the info I can find says engine brand is Generac.

Screenshot_20181201-081705.png

·
Registered
11,895 Posts
Where are you finding this information? All the info I can find says engine brand is Generac.

View attachment 659622
I was referring to the whole house propane stand by generators, and that could also recently have changed, but I know they were Honda powered. My information comes from experience from hooking up to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I was referring to the whole house propane stand by generators, and that could also recently have changed, but I know they were Honda powered. My information comes from experience from hooking up to them.

You had me excited, I'm looking to get another one and if the Generac's indeed did have the same motor, I would likey buy one. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
11,895 Posts
You had me excited, I'm looking to get another one and if the Generac's indeed did have the same motor, I would likey buy one. Much cheaper.
Are the gas engine not a Honda engine? I have no experience with them at all.
Sorry to get you excited, it’s just a habit because of work when people start talking about generac, they are by far the top brand around here for whole house generators. Not trying to confuse anyone.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts

I was wondering about that also. In addition, the Generac is a 80cc engine and the Honda is a 121cc engine. So they definitely aren't using the same engine.

They certainly don't list them as being Honda. All the 12-20KW models I looked up listed "Generac OHV" as the engine type.

Are the gas engine not a Honda engine? I have no experience with them at all.
Sorry to get you excited, it’s just a habit because of work when people start talking about generac, they are by far the top brand around here for whole house generators. Not trying to confuse anyone.
They have a semi-decent reputation with large whole-house generators but a not-so-good reputation when it comes to the small portable generators.

The OP was referring to one of these:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,895 Posts
They certainly don't list them as being Honda. All the 12-20KW models I looked up listed "Generac OHV" as the engine type.
Could be they’ve developed their own engine now, I know for certain they used to have Honda’s.

·
Administrator
16,764 Posts
My Generac 15kw HHG has a twin cylinder Generac engine, it's 10 years old with over 400 hours on it.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Could be they’ve developed their own engine now, I know for certain they used to have Honda’s.
Check the stamp on that valve cover... it might be "Honduh". :)

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
The quality of Generac products has declined considerably in the last few years. They have a plant not far from my house. They seem to have changed their hiring practices to the top standard of you got a pulse, you got a job. Buy something else Gizmo.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Agree with above, nice choice. I have never been disappointed with mine. Run ethanol free and it will be ready to go when you need it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts