Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This gen set has a Honda GX160K1 engine. It starts, but will stop after about 45 seconds. Fuel was drained and new fuel added. Carb was removed and cleaned, and float checked. Sediment bowl on bottom of fuel tank checked. All is good. Installed new plug, but it will still only run with choke on and only for less than a minute. As soon as it starts to die, I shut off the fuel. The carb float bowl is full, so its not starving for fuel. This gen set is about 15 or 20 years old, and has probably less than 50 hours on it. Its always started on one or two pulls. It has low oil cut off and oil level is fine. Any ideas on what might be the problem? Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am out of ideas. It is usually always run every month or two until warm with a load. I also check ohms on coil and the spark plug cap and they are good.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Sounds like you have a jet plugged.

rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try spraying a little starting fluid into the air cleaner when the engine starts to die. If it continues to run, there is a restriction in the fuel system. Fuel can deteriorate the rubber fuel hoses over time. Pull the main jet and blow it out with compressed air. Make sure nothing is lodged in the adjusting screws and they are set to preliminary settings.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Put in a new spark plug. That’s probably not the problem but it’s cheap just to make sure.

This was on another forum but about a Stihl MS 250 chainsaw. I had a spark plug go bad in mine, the electrode would pull all the way out the top of the spark plug, but it still ran, sort of. Another person had a problem with the same kind of saw. I said try a spark plug. He did all sorts of things to that saw including a new carb. After a few weeks he posted again and I said “did you ever put a spark plug in?” He said nope and you guessed it, that fixed it.

A spark plug is rarely the problem but if the generator is that old the spark plug might be that old. A replacement is usually less than $5.

·
Premium Member
12,771 Posts
If the engine will only run with the choke closed, its a plugged or restricted fuel circuit in the carb. The ethanol fuel is very hard on the fuel systems and the older the fuel system, the better they were made and the more resilient they are to problems. But eventually, if you use any ethanol fuel long enough, you are going to end up with a crystalized residue in the fuel flow circuits.

You have two choices.

1. Replace the carb with one from Honda, which is about $50
2. Take the adjustment screws out and then clean the fuel circuits in the carb and put the carb back together and reset the adjustment screws just where there were.

If you know how to disassemble the carb and put it back together after soaking the housing in a good cleaner, option 2 is possible. If not, buy a new carb and put it on and be done with it.

Make sure to check all fuel lines as they will crystalize inside, etc. Since the bowl is full, the fuel flow into the carb is likely ok, its the fuel flow THROUGH the carb where the problem lies.

A new spark plug is also not going to hurt and can only help........

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Premium Member
18,088 Posts
All is good. Installed new plug, but it will still only run with choke on and only for less than a minute. As soon as it starts to die, I shut off the fuel.
SB and Dodgeman,, believe he installed a new plug

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I’ve had decent luck cleaning jets with torch tip cleaners.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check the electical plugs inside generator and make sure there are no lose connections,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts