Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trio of Ken's Hooks on my 1025R FEL and they work great. Now, I'm having a 260 BH installed this week and want to install a single hook w/ backing plate on the outside of the BH bucket.

Any advice from those who have installed a hook on a 260 12" BH bucket? I know the general location of where to mount it based on an old DynaHoe I used to have.

Reactions: blue87fj60

·
Registered
181 Posts
I mounted a clevis on my 260 bucket. I'm seriously lacking in any backhoe bucket terminology knowledge so forgive my rudimentary explanation: it's right in between the two bars that connect the back of the backhoe to the dipper. Inline with the hydraulic cylinder seems wise, and you can tuck it up in there pretty far without it interfering with the bucket movement, and that also means it's very out-of-the-way for digging, too. The centered clevis has just enough clearance to get a pin through, so it's tight but not too tight.

Again, my knowledge is seriously lacking, but given that the H120 can have the hooks mounted without backing plates I assumed that the comparatively light-duty capability of the backhoe combined with the heavy gauge metal of the bucket meant that a backing plate would be completely unnecessary. I'd be interested to hear if I'm wrong so I can rectify the problem. :dunno:

11312788_10153387305777485_6631979686410572825_o.jpg 11402567_10153387305862485_6714739385906302405_o.jpg

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mounted a clevis on my 260 bucket. ...snip...
Thanks dan. The photo is helpful. That looks to be a strongpoint for installation.

I'm going with a hook rather than a clevis simply because I have some experience with the hook arrangement on my old backhoe. If a clevis is better then it will be easy to change if desired.

You probably correct about the backing plate. I already ordered a plate so might as well install it and overbuild it like I do most things.

Thanks for the reply!

Dennis

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Administrator
18,757 Posts
Here is the only pic I can offer at this time:
image.jpg

I agree about the plate, it's overkill but sure won't hurt.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I mounted a clevis on my BH bucket too, just about the same locations as the other posts. I did locate my a little bit further out so the bucket plates wouldn't interfere with a clevis pin. I chose a clevis mount over a hook only because I felt it would be better for a strap or rope and I can also use a chain on it. Either hook or clevis would work.

And I did put a back-up plate inside the bucket, probably not needed, but nice to have a little gold bling inside the bucket.:laugh:

Sorry no pics, I'm at work.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK! Good information.

Thanks Kenny and Tom.

My 1025R should be back on Friday with a brand new 260. I have a BeXpanded thumb ready to install and a Bro-Tec Ripper Tooth on stand-by. Having just installed a Pirhana Tooth Bar and with the Grapple on the way, I should have a lean, mean, digging machine all set to do some serious destruction!

I'll post some pics when I get it all tricked out.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I agree that it is a great idea to have a hook or clevis on your bucket. Mine is mounted about the same place as others. I had a hook welded onto mine when I first got it. I use it but I find that if I had to do it over again I would definitely go with a clevis. that way you can have the bucket curled or not and still be able to pick things up using a chain, Rope, strap etc. Just my 2 cents worth.

This is on an 18" bucket for my JD 8B BH.

hook on bh bucket.jpg

·
Administrator
18,757 Posts
Welded clevis tab:
image.jpg

Reactions: robpm and Alford78

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well. I was going to mount the bucket hook today but the dealer called to inform me that John Deere shipped the wrong sub-frame for the BH install. My tractor will stay at the dealer until at least next weekend.

What the hell am I supposed to do with my time until then? I'm sitting here with a new BH thumb, ripper tooth. and bucket hook ready to be installed on a BH that is 60 miles away.

BTW, I bought the 260 BH from Mutton and had it shipped to my dealer in NY for the install. Saved a few hundred bucks doing it this way. Mutton was easy to deal with but their John Deere distributor fumbled the ball and shipped the wrong sub-frame.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Came to the realization today when towing the wife's old Land Cruiser down the driveway to it's new resting place, that i could of really used the KBOH oblong ring slings. So now i have a reason to order a couple slings and grab a shackle point to drill and attach to my backhoe bucket as well. :good2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts