Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a real monsoon in the PNW this weekend so I finally got around to installing the hooks I've had for a few weeks.

What is the best rattle can paint to match my green?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
We have some info on the FAQ page on the website, but I always ask this question: What other "hardware" on your tractor is painted?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
When I installed my Ken's hooks I didn't want to cover up that handsome, thick anti-corrosion plating that was supplied!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
837 Posts
When I installed my Ken's hooks I didn't want to cover up that handsome, thick anti-corrosion plating that was supplied!:bigthumb:
Same here. I like the way they look without paint.

Reactions: PJR832 and Levi

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
For the money, I like Rustoleum John Deere green, if money is no object, buy the paint from a JD dealer. I have found Krylon will fade to blue/green over time.

Now for my chain hooks, any bright color I have on hand, yellow, orange, red, white, what ever is handy. I had an unpainted hook come off at the farm and still have not found it :banghead: There is also a Machette lost out there somewhere :banghead: :nunu:

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
They're hooks. You're going to wrap chains around them and any pint you put on is going to chip off. I left mine with the factory finish and with no paint to chip, they still look good as new.

·
Premium Member
13,818 Posts
The only one I have found to match exact is the $10 can from the dealer. I’ve tried Valspar, rustoleum both close but nothing as close as the can from the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
We have some info on the FAQ page on the website, but I always ask this question: What other "hardware" on your tractor is painted?
I agree with Kennyd, same color as the rest of the tractor's hardware.
Or..... black :hide:

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
I bought my hooks back when they came unpainted / unplated. I painted them with Rustoleum JD green. The paint still looks almost like new even after steady use.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It is a real monsoon in the PNW this weekend so I finally got around to installing the hooks I've had for a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I assume that you plan to paint the entire bucket, based on the rust and wear. In that case, just get close enough to the rest of the machine color that from 20 feet away it looks OK. I believe any can will do. I have used the Rustoleum and the TSC brands. Both IMO are close enough.

Now, if you want a show machine, you could go overboard, like this:

dozer.jpg

Why do you think he left the seat and the muffler black, and painted the tracks?

·
Registered
23 Posts
In 58' Dad bought a JD 420 dozer to pull our JD 12A combine. We had an exceptional wet fall and all the tractor did was get stuck. They might have even chained the dozer to the front of the tractor and used both to pull the 12A. I believe our 420 came new with green tracks, black seat & muffler.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Spray Paint Source

I agree with the others and didn't paint my hooks, either.

As far as spray paint goes, I'd recommend Valspar. Others on the forum have indicated Valspar manufactures the spray paint for John Deere. It applies well, perfect match (I just spot touched up a drive over plate on my 54D mower deck where I had removed a bolt for the Power Flow install and other than the spray pattern, it is indistinguishable.) You can obtain Valspar from the local hardware store affiliated with " Do it Best Hardware". It is about half the price of the John Deere rattle cans.

https://www.doitbest.com/categories/spray-paints?brand%5B%5D=Valspar

I've never cared for Rustoleum. It goes on very thin and will run easily. I once obtained some "VanVickle" spray paint that was color matched to various tractor brands. I'm speculating it was manufactured by Rustoleum, as it applied the same, thin and susceptible to run.

I utilized Krylon spray paint for many years as it applied well and was resistant to run. However, I found long term durability poor and it would lose its sheen (become dull) in just a year or two. Valspar has become my brand of choice in spray paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts