Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who puts Ken's stuff on your loader buckets...did you pick hooks, shackle mounts or combo units, and why?

Mods, please don't move this to a general forum, I specifically want to know what 1 series owners chose.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hooks on the top side. Eyes under the hooks in the bucket. Was going to put a receiver hitch in the middle but just not sure I would ever use it.
How do you use the hooks and how do you use the eyes?

·
Premium Member
12,242 Posts
For those of you who puts Ken's stuff on your loader buckets...did you pick hooks, shackle mounts or combo units, and why?

Mods, please don't move this to a general forum, I specifically want to know what 1 series owners chose.
Your question isn't really specific to the 1-series. 2 and 3-series owners use the hooks the exact same way.

I went with combo units on each side and 2" receiver in the middle. I use the shackles whenever I am using something other than chains to lift/pull. I use the hooks for chains and oblong rings. By using a BallDog in the receiver hitch I can have it be a third hook or loop.

E26R3940.jpg

E26R3941.jpg

E26R3956.jpg

·
Registered
647 Posts
I put hooks on top, shackle in the bucket.

How do I use them? I moved a piece of cement culvert using chain through the piece, in the hooks so I could lift it high enough to load into my trailer for a dump run.

I have also wrapped the chain around small saplings to the hooks and pull them out.

Have yet to use any straps yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So when you guys use chains...you don't have hooks on the end of the chains? You just put the chain itself through the hook on the bucket?

·
Registered
307 Posts
So when you guys use chains...you don't have hooks on the end of the chains? You just put the chain itself through the hook on the bucket?
Hooks on chains this gives you versatility. I can use shackles or straps or chains on the eyes. You can just have a 15 feet 1/4 inch chain with hooks on both ends. This gives you endless length choices for moving stuff. I wouldn't recommend lifting too much with one hook in the middle. You will bend the bucket.

·
Premium Member
12,242 Posts
There are different types of hooks. A normal tow chain has grab hooks that are designed to grab onto a link. You might also have a chain with slip hooks. But typically, with bucket hooks they are sized for a particular size chain and you simply lay the link into the hook and it stays there just like when using a grab hook.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Your question isn't really specific to the 1-series. 2 and 3-series owners use the hooks the exact same way.
Well, the tractors with more lift capacity would use those hooks or shackles to lift heavier things, which might affect the decision of which to use. I don't know how true that is, but I didn't want this in a general forum where people with big tractors and 3,000lb lift capacities would weigh in. I should have said "small tractors."

·
Premium Member
12,242 Posts
Well, the tractors with more lift capacity would use those hooks or shackles to lift heavier things, which might affect the decision of which to use. I don't know how true that is, but I didn't want this in a general forum where people with big tractors and 3,000lb lift capacities would weigh in. I should have said "small tractors."
Here's one way to look at it... the hooks and shackles that Ken sells are rated at 2-3 times that the 1-series and 2-series can lift.

The hooks, shackles and rings are all in the 4000-5000 lb. range so no worries about choosing one over the other due to load rating. :)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I was asking the same question 6 months ago and here is how I went and why.I put the clevis mounts on due to I use a lot of the ratchet straps.The straps don't damage or scratch like chains due,but if
I really need chain I can loop them through the clevis.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also use the combo’s with the shackles on the bottom. Like others have said the hooks give you endless chain length/level/etc possibilities and are so handy when lifting anything that requires the chain. I use my shackles after every mowing. The loader should come from the factory with these things on.

Sent from my iPad using the gluten free, non-gmo Tapatalk app.
|1025R, H120 w/ 53" Bucket, 60D MMM, 47" Snowblower, Heavy Hitch, Ken’s BOGH, Piranha, No Money Left|

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
Hooks on the top side. Eyes under the hooks in the bucket. Was going to put a receiver hitch in the middle but just not sure I would ever use it.
About the same here, hooks outside, eyes on the inside of the bucket. But I did install a receiver hitch in the center on the outside. I use the receiver hitch with a Hitch’N Can weekly to take trash and recycle bins down to the street, about one good block for me. Having both hooks and eyes gives me the versatility to use a chain, rope, or strap as the situation requires. I often pull "T" post using a chain.

RX Hitch.JPG HC-B-6-500x333.jpg

I also use the receiver with a trailer hitch. Trailers move very easily and quickly. (Light duty only)

51Ix2svbJmL._AC_US218_.jpg

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Blasphemy! Who let this guy in here :nunu:
Sorry man....I didn’t mean it that way. It was supposed to be a complement. What I really meant was that these things are so unbelievably useful and clever that I can’t believe Mother Deere hasn’t made you an offer...

|1025R, H120 w/ 53" Bucket, 60D MMM, 47" Snowblower, Heavy Hitch, Ken’s BOGH, Piranha, No Money Left|

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I have Hooks on the top of the bucket and clevises on the underside of the hooks. Frankly, I have used the clevises more than the hooks and probably always will. I have sets of straps in various lengths 4', 6', 8' and 10' and seem to have had the right straps for the job more often than not.

I also have lengths of the good grade tie down chains (the chain which is legal for commercial load tie down, forget the classification of the chain but it's gold in color) with hooks on the end of each chain. I tend to use the chains to "bind down" loads for hauling where I use the straps with end loops for lifting and carrying. I have used the bucket hooks to tie down the tractor when bucket down on the trailer.

I think having both provides the diversity needed and you will find having both most likely best meets your needs as well. Plus, the clevises mount to the same bolt pattern you have drilled for the hooks or vice versa so why not mount both? If nothing more, having the other on the opposite side of the bucket adds strength to the bucket mounting point verses simply putting nuts and washers on the inside of the bucket.

When I haul the tractor on the trailer, I use a combination of tie down ratchet straps and a couple of chain binders. So I think these often work best in combinations and in conjunction with one another and having the option to use both makes sense to me.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Is there something bad about j.d. buying 100,000 units?(yearly)
Destined to be Kenny's #1 Salesman...:bigthumb:

To the OP , I mainly use shackle, but there is a hook underneath it, and 2 hooks on the ends. Mostly on there to make it appear I do work... :hide:

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
Is there something bad about j.d. buying 100,000 units?(yearly)
Sorry man....I didn’t mean it that way. It was supposed to be a complement. What I really meant was that these things are so unbelievably useful and clever that I can’t believe Mother Deere hasn’t made you an offer...

One word why that likely will not happen: Liability.

Very few "loaders" come with attachment points for chains or slings, because it's "loader" and not a lifting device.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts