Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a John Deere lawn tractor. I believe it is a model X735 but not certain. Attached to it is a John Deere 3 bag Powerflow grass collection system. One thing I have always been curious about. When you op the hood of the bagger area on the back, under this cover is a type of screen with fairly large squares in it. I would guess them to be about .50" square or 3/8" square. At any rate, can anyone tell me what the purpose of this screen is? It gets very clogged and is difficult to clean off the grass cuaght in it.

Please let me know.
Regards,
Yok33

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome. It is there to maintain a good air flow. As the bags fill, less air can come through the mesh of the bag and blocking air flow can contribute to poor bagging performance / quality of cut issues. SO it is a good idea to keep this reasonably clean as well as the bags themselves.

·
Premium Member
6,291 Posts
He’s asking why it’s there in the first place. Good air flow would mean no screen at all but i suspect the screen is in place to keep from blowing out the lid so removing it would be at your own risk of damaging the bagger

·
Registered
158 Posts
Imho, Tsoleno nailed it. Without this 'Vent', as the bags filled, the airflow would drop to the point that there would not be enough volume to lift the clippings, and it would clog in the chute. If you notice, they put the vent behind the deflector to avoid excess spillage, but still maintain the air flow as the bags fill. The actual egg crate screen is to provide at least some filtering of the clippings that will start making the turn when the bags start getting filled to the limit. I would not recommend removing or plugging it. It is working exactly as designed.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Had my Toro about three years before I found that screen................... Now it gets cleaned after every use.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I have the same bagger and I blow it out after I have finished the mowing . I have a 3' x 1/4" tubing nozzle attached to a common air nozzle and it cleans the screen out pretty easily without getting covered in grass clippings . 🚜

·
Registered
158 Posts
Every time I empty the bags, I just give it a quick wipe with my hand, and that's all it takes. No biggie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts