Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if anyone here has considered installing the horizontal exhaust kit on their 5 series tractors. When I first bought my 5225 cab tractor new in 2007 it came with the stock vertical exhaust pipe. This worked fine during the day but after dark with the cab mounted field lights on the pipe sticking up in front of the lights became annoying. The glare was more than I could stand.
I was maintaining a 21 acre clover and alfalfa field beyond a hedgerow behind my house and it would take about 6 hours to completely mow the field so I would often start mowing around 6 PM and would mow until I was done around or after 2 AM. I also use my 5225 with a front mounted snowblower in the winter time. I keep the tractor in my garage in the winter where I have electricity to keep the engine heater plugged in if I think I'm going to need to clear the driveway. After a hard snow fall the snow will build up in front of the garage door so when you pull out you need to clear the snow away as you pull out. I only have 4-5" of clearance between the cab roof and the overhead door header.. I don't want to damage either my tractor's roof or the overhead door. This is an 84" blower so the tractor has to run at full speed when you pull out. The engine heater does it's job so the oil is warm when the engine is started and flows as I like it. I don't keep the garage heated all night long or when I think I'm going to need the blower. If I did keep the garage heated the snow would stick to the blower and I'd have to stop and keep it cleaned out and off.
Before I start the engine I have a length of exhaust hose I no longer used in my Auto Repair shop. I can slip the hose over the tractor's exhaust pipe and stick the hose out a window which just happens to line up with the exhaust pipe's location.
After the engine has been started and has run for a moment or two I remove the pipe and head out. No exhaust smoke lingers in my garage. This would be difficult to do with the vertical exhaust unless you used rigid aluminum pipe made for a dryer vent or some other use. Then you'd have to support it so the exhaust goes outside.
I liked the horizontal exhaust so well that when I bought my 5065E I installed it on the 5065E as well. I don't have to look past or around the pipe or smell diesel exhaust when using the tractor. The 5065E does not have a cab like my 5225 does.It only has a sunshade. I seldom use it in the winter though. It stays in my pole barn. Once in a while I have a use for the loader or the pallet forks so it does get some exercise during the winter.

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
My 2030 came with the horizonal exhaust. The only time I dislike it is when hooking up implements with the tractor running. The exhaust burns my eyes.
I added it to my JD 6415. I was tired of it hitting branches. Also when shutting the engine off, it rocked back and forth. No more soot on my loader either.
P1030168.JPG
P1030155.JPG
P1030153.JPG
P1030150.JPG
P1030148.JPG

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you thought about putting a short down spout on the tail pipe to direct the exhaust down and away from you?
Nice looking tractor BTW.
Lynn

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
It (2030), already has turn down on the end of the pipe. Still makes my eyes water/burn, but only when behind it hooking or unhooking some thing on the back.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
My 2030 came with the horizonal exhaust. The only time I dislike it is when hooking up implements with the tractor running. The exhaust burns my eyes.
I added it to my JD 6415. I was tired of it hitting branches. Also when shutting the engine off, it rocked back and forth. No more soot on my loader either. View attachment 747113 View attachment 747114 View attachment 747115 View attachment 747116 View attachment 747117
My farmer neighbor friend has a 6410 4WD set up like that, that he bought new. No cab, but does have a loader. He calls it his chore tractor. He has 11,000 hours on it with no overhaul. He also has a 6400 with cab and a Case IH that I think the model number is something in the 7000's, but I am not sure. I will have to pay more attention to it. Both the 6400 and the Case IH are 2WD. He has dual rear wheels for the Case IH. I am pretty sure both of these have less hours than the 6410.

Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had it installed on my new 5065e. Mainly for the free sight view and trees! Only thing I don't like is I can feel heat from it when the wind is in the right direction

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
Zebrafive is that a paper towel stuffed in there?

Good eyes! I had a leak at the MFWD shaft and making sure my repair was not leaking.

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
I had two hydraulic oil leaks. Very Hard to find.
The suction hose to pump was leaking, but on the bottom side, this leak was dripping onto the hose to brakes. If you look closely in the picture of the new hose installed, you can see the brake hose.The leak (drips) ran down the hose until the hose traveled up, then dripped on the transmission. the leak then ran down to the MFWD shaft.
When I FINALLY found and replaced the bad hose, I still had a leak at the MFWD drive shaft.
I thought it was the seal. Paper towel was to see if the hose repair also fixed the leak there. It did not.
It turned out to be the bearing retainer uses shims to preload the bearing. Both had slipped and were pinched by the retainer to MFWD drop box. So the O ring was not sealing. Shims were .002" thick and did not show, they were out of place other than the leak.
6415hose.PNG
P1030142.JPG
P1030145.JPG
P1030146.JPG
6415brakehose.PNG
6415brakehose.PNG
6415shim.PNG

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
Did you notice the rear anti wrap guard was missing? I had it off looking for the leak.
Also the hole in the hood louver? The tractor had a loader and it blocked this in the pictures the seller sent me 🤬 I am too cheap to buy a new at over $100
6415antiwrapguard.PNG
6415hoodvent.PNG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts