Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it finally happened to me. While mowing some high grass on the back of our property, I pushed a log and disturbed a hornets nest under it. I reckon they were hornets - looked like small yellow jackets but not quite as bright yellow. Nest was a gray paper looking, cone shaped, about the size of a grape fruit. I saw it as soon as I hit it and abandoned ship. The safety switch in the seat killed the engine and I set the 50 year old fat boy land speed record getting away. Only got two stings on my forearms. My son and I went back about an hour later an waged war with hornet spray. Sprayed a little on the tractor to kill the stubborn bees that were still stinging the steering wheel, dash, around the wheels and ROPS.

Started the tractor and drove it to hose off the insecticide. Went to drive it back to the shed after hosing it off and it cut off and would not restart. The dash lights, odometer and tachometer will not cycle, but the lights work. The tractor cut off as I was driving it when I turned on the lights - it was just getting dark outside. Seems I have lost power to the dash and ignition switch.

I'm assuming the water or insecticide shorted something out. I'll dig into it after work tomorrow. Anyone have experience with a no-start problem like this? I'll have to look in the manual to see where the fuse panel is located.

Hoping someone will have some experience with the 1025R electrical system and can give me a head start for tomorrow. Right now I'm hitting the shower and and hoping these stings don't keep me awake all night.

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
First thought that comes to mind is check the fuses.

Good to hear you only got a couple stings.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Do you have any aux lighting? Heard the light switch can malfunction with extra lights.

Also best to give it a try when all things dry out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Aaack! You killed it with hornet spray! :lol:

Just kidding, I would also check fuses first, and check to see where you hosed the tractor down is dry. The wasp hornet spray is conductive and could've easily shorted out a connector or component.

Don't tell the EPA but brake cleaner (the real stuff, not the big brother green environazi kind)works really good at dropping insects FAST... :shhh:

I've used it on my recess can lights with LED bulbs (the kind where wasps build nests inside the cooling fins above the bulb) and it doesn't stain like the wasp spray or harm the paint. It can make plastic brittle and hurt some paints, though :unknown:

I don't even like spraying my baby with water, just a little primping now and again... :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Take some benedryl man....that'll help (for you, not the tractor.)

I freaking hate stinging critters.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
If you jumped off the tractor with the key in the run position you may have run down the battery. I wold check the charge on the battery and charge it over night.

Have you tried to jump start the tractor?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
If you jumped off the tractor with the key in the run position you may have run down the battery. I wold check the charge on the battery and charge it over night.

Have you tried to jump start the tractor?
My thoughts exactly. It had one last start in it and lights did it in.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery isn't dead. Lights come on nice & bright. Key was only in the ignition about 45 minutes until I could turn it off. Started up easily after bees cleared. Tractor shut off while it was running and would not restart.

Symptoms:

1. Turn ignition key, no response.
2. Pre-start pegging of tachometer does not happen.
3. Hour meter does not illuminate.
4. Head lights and tail lights work fine.

My dash circuit is completely dead. It's hopefully only a fuse. I'm at work now so i wont be able to check it out until after 4:00 PM this afternoon.

The bee stings are on the underside of my forearms, near my left elbow and righ wrist - exactly where you like to rest your arms on your desk or table when sitting. Not too bad - like a really irritating mosquito bite.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turned out to be the ignition switch. It had some built up dirt around the terminals that got wet and the moisture caused a short that blew a fuse.

Tractor ignition.jpg

Here's the bees nest that I disturbed. Look like yellow jackets to me?

Hornet1.jpg

This big one looks like the queen.

Hornet Queen.jpg

Another view of the nest.

Hornet2.jpg

Broke open the nest - some larvae.

Hornet larvae.jpg

The queen compared to the other smaller bees.

hornet queen and larvae.jpg

The log they were under.

Hornet log.jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
Glad you figured out the issue! It has been a BAD year for bees around our place. Have had to go after multiple nests in the barn and under the deck. Some are quite tenacious, needing multiple sprays.

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
Glad you was only stung twice ,could have been a lot worse, and glad you found your trouble.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Glad you figured out the issue! It has been a BAD year for bees around our place. Have had to go after multiple nests in the barn and under the deck. Some are quite tenacious, needing multiple sprays.
Been a bad year here in NE PA as well. Just had to go after two nests under the deck last weekend. One was yellow jackets and the other white faced hornets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts