Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you remove a wasp/hornet nest about 8ft up in a tree that's about the size of a basketball?

Looking for quick, effective and minimal risk of getting stung.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
If the tree can tolerate it, I would use a large torch so anything trying to fly out gets its wings burned off. If not, look for the FOAMING wasp & hornet sprays. They seal off the nest with a sticky glob of foam to prevent escapes. (Buy an extra can and do some target practice if you're uncomfortable.) With the liquid sprays, a bee can sometimes follow the stream back toward you. Do everything after dusk, of course...

·
Registered
270 Posts
So how do you remove a wasp/hornet nest about 8ft up in a tree that's about the size of a basketball?

Looking for quick, effective and minimal risk of getting stung.

I had this same issue a few weeks ago. I used a 12 gauge shotgun with some buckshot and stood as far away as possible. Those hornets had no idea what was happening, nest gone, hornets gone the next day.

·
Registered
506 Posts
rj - I had the same thought, only with smaller shot like #7 or #8 to maximize the collateral damage. From my experience, the soldiers will continue to return to where they remember "home" was, even if it is now blown to smithereens; and they will defend their turf, since they are, afterall, @$$holes.

There are places in southern Ohio that will remove nests for free in order to collect the venom for research purposes.

Brian

I had this same issue a few weeks ago. I used a 12 gauge shotgun with some buckshot and stood as far away as possible. Those hornets had no idea what was happening, nest gone, hornets gone the next day.

·
Registered
591 Posts
JD, A shotgun with skeet loads, #9 shot, has about 400 pellets and the nest may contain 500-1000 wasps! I'd go with a spray. Wait until dusk/dark and stand directly under the nest so you can spray into the opening. Spray for 3-5 seconds and stand back! From a distance, spray to saturate the nest. Check the nest the next day for "anyone" flying around. If so, repeat spraying process at night. Continue until nothing is flying. Then wait & check daily for a week, THEN safe to knock nest down...but knock it down and run anyhow. Bob

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rj - I had the same thought, only with smaller shot like #7 or #8 to maximize the collateral damage. From my experience, the soldiers will continue to return to where they remember "home" was, even if it is now blown to smithereens; and they will defend their turf, since they are, afterall, @$$holes.

There are places in southern Ohio that will remove nests for free in order to collect the venom for research purposes.

Brian
While I like the shotgun idea, the nest is located about 20' from the edge of the road.

As for the free removal for venom, I had no idea that option existed! I did some more specific Google searching and have a call into a local guy. If the free removal doesn't work out, I will borrow my neighbors propane roofing torchdown torch and send it up in flames.

·
Registered
582 Posts
One more use for WD40. It will take down wasps. It coats their wings so they can't fly. Found out by accident. I was working on my old Mercury and didn't realize they'd made a nest in the car's fender. When they started to come out of the fender I blasted them with the only thing I had, a can of WD40. It worked, but I've tried those foaming blaster since then. The blasters work better. If you opt for the torch, do it after dark and stick the flame close to the entrance hole. Sticking it into the hole may blow out the flame then you are in trouble. Good Luck and wear thick clothing.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Get at least 2 cans of foam. It goes fast. Saturate the nest In the evening when it’s nice and cool(er). Leave the nest up a day or two as the spray helps to keep killing any that may have been out and come back. Then shoot it down or something.

Now me personally i like doing it I’m the middle of the day and video it but I don’t suggest that :lol:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I work construction. I also accidentally found out wd-40 kills wasp but even I wouldn’t try it on a whole hornets nest unless it had to be done now and couldn’t wait. Wd takes a second to kill them.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Brian
I figured they might come back, but they haven’t. I’m sure they’ve relocated, hopefully away from my property.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
A pound of tanerite taped to the end of a pole leaned up adjacent to the hive should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I will also vote for a couple cans of the foam spray that shoots 20-25’. Get you and a friend to attack the nest from different angles at the same time after dark, spray until you run out-get another can to use as a follow up the next night if you still see activity. Once complete if burn the suckers too if I couldn’t take the nest down with a 12 ga-that is a fun way to remove nests!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
yea that wd-40 trick is kaput.......the new stuff clogs in the nozzle if not used right away...and it don't light.:banghead:

They changed something recently........fancy new snorkle things and all that...... that just plug.

We been running a sheet metal screw through the top just to get whats in the can , out to fix daily issues at work.

1 more vote for 12 ga.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The only time I've done it I rolled the window on my vehicle down a couple of inches. I taped over the opening with duct tape then made a hole for the wasp and hornet spray nozzle. I pulled up next to the nest at night and soaked the whole nest with wasp and hornet spray. Next day I took the dead nest down and hung it up in the house for a keep sake. Only thing is the wasp and hornet spray will also kill vegetation so everything green it got on turned brown.

Of course you want to make sure the nest is dead before removing it. I got a couple of bad cans of wasp and hornet spray a while back. I would spray it on the wasps and they would laugh at me as they came to attack their attacker.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
A pound of tanerite taped to the end of a pole leaned up adjacent to the hive should do the trick.
This gets my vote. And please video it :lolol:

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I got stung once earlier this summer while trimming a forsythia hedge. My hand swelled up like a balloon and stayed that way for a week. I like the tannerite idea, but the next nest I find gets this.

E1613A20-BF01-43FC-B288-BBF458D2F190.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts