Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, you heard correctly. Here is something I have been pondering for some time and just haven't taken the leap to do it. I have always thought it would be cool to have an air horn on the tractor. I guess what is holding me back is "where to mount it". And then I don't want it blasting me in the ear, so no ROPS mounting.

http://www.hornblasters.com/products/category.php?c=train-horn-kits-and-air-horn-kits

Anyone out there as crazy as I am or have any experience with these things? What do you guys think? It would be fun wouldn't it?

·
Administrator
17,254 Posts
I put a regular car horn on my tractor, it's operated from an extra button on the joystick handle. It's very usefull when working around others to get attention since yelling over the engine noise does not work.

I can't see a need for real air horns, plus as you wrote mounting them and the tank/compressor would be a real challenge. Car horns are only $15 also.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I guess what is holding me back is "where to mount it".
Quickly perusing the JD Parts site I see the Euro 2520 has a horn available..Just quickly adding parts to my order, looks like all the parts are available Stateside...
might be SOME work to be done on your own, but you can use the factory switches, horn, etc.. and say you have a "Factory" horn...

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I added the factory horn to my 4520. Kinda a hack. The button is kludgy, you better have some Greenlee hole punches, and the horn is in front of the radiators up under the hood. Very un-Deere like.

Someday, when I have my "fix a bunch of little annoying stuff on the 4520"-fest, I'll move the horn away from the radiators. Will also fix trim that presses on the rear window at the top (ok, well, it doesn't press well- that's the problem).

Now from a performance art point of view, I _love_ the train horn! But practical Pete says no. Beside, to install all that there would no doubt have to be sort sort of bracket to weld up, and that would leave me out of that game :laugh:!

Pete

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Ok.... yeah, practical can put a damper on things. But often there's no time for tomfoolery.

Just the though of that horn scared me- I've got a "Deere in the Headlights" look thing happening... :hide:

Looking forward to the video of the install and so we can hear that thing...

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I left a yellow push button on my joystick grip just for a horn. I just have to get around to wiring it up and installing it. A fog horn would be great, but I bet it'll end up being a 8$ horn from Princess Auto.

-Jer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Yeah, you heard correctly. Here is something I have been pondering for some time and just haven't taken the leap to do it. I have always thought it would be cool to have an air horn on the tractor. I guess what is holding me back is "where to mount it". And then I don't want it blasting me in the ear, so no ROPS mounting.

http://www.hornblasters.com/products/category.php?c=train-horn-kits-and-air-horn-kits

Anyone out there as crazy as I am or have any experience with these things? What do you guys think? It would be fun wouldn't it?
If you can afford it and can find the room, go for it. Those prices are out of my league. Adding a horn using the European horn switch and location is on my ever growing to-do list.

Kenny's right!.. Yelling over the engine noise doesn't work!!.. Just ask my Son!:laugh:

I'll bet your son could hear you once his iPod is turned off. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, you tractor guys sure aren't car or truck guys. Yeah, really wasn't going for the practical. I was going for the REALLY COOL thing. I mean com'on man, that would be really cool.:yahoo:

OK Pete, I hear you, and maybe that is why I have only thought about it. Kinda low on the priority list.:tongue:

Thanks, for hang in there with me Brian, not sure the horns would fit under the seat. Those suckers are big and not a lot of room under the seat. You have to remember I drive a little tractor.:mocking:

Well, it is only a pipe dream at this point, but that isn't going to stop me from thinking about it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Do your machines not come with a horn?

I say if you want to do it.. do it. Just don't mount the horns on the ROPS... your hearing would hate you.

·
Administrator
17,254 Posts
Do your machines not come with a horn?

I say if you want to do it.. do it. Just don't mount the horns on the ROPS... your hearing would hate you.
No, the small machines do not, and it's a option the larger ones...

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
My Kubota B21 TLB came with a horn standard. It tends to sell into commercial use more than homeowner, so I'm guessing that having a horn to get someones attention is more important there. The button was far more integrated into the dash than the Deere. The Deere button (to the left and down from the throttle) looks like a 1970's button in a 2000 cab.

The pix make the Kubuta look pretty dirty...:unknown: As you can see, the red button for the horn integrates nicely with the light switches.

I hear everyone likes pictures... :morning2:

With the declining number of people who know Morse code, and the increasing number of false car alarms, I wonder what the best series of horn noises would be to get someones attention? In the fire service, three long blows of the horn is the "get out now". Trains use a long-long-short-long at rail crossings. SOS is three short, three long, three short. Well, I'll put that on the list of things I don't want to learn the hard way.

Pete

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,254 Posts
Kenny,

On your horn... Does it sound like a Ford, Or a Toyota ??

I forgot I had it... But I have a horn that came off my Honda motorcycle when I changed them out... I may use it!

Toyota...The tractor is made in Japan right?:laugh:

The MC horn you have should work very well...

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I would think a dual tone boat horn would work pretty well. They are weather/waterproof and loud as hell. YOu can pick up a stainless one for around $40. While you're at it - I'd go with the marine grade switch as well as it would be fully sealed.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Part Numbers

Can someone post part numbers of the European setup, horn, switch, and harness? Maybe even the diagram for it all?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
Randy, Some 50 years ago my father put truck air horns along with an air tank in/on my mothers Volkswagen Karmann Ghia, yeah it was cool, really cool.

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
Mount the air horns on the hood, right next to the Bulldog Mack hood ornament! :gaah: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had car horns on some of my garden tractors (mounted under the hood). First one was to warn my old Irish Setter, who didn't hear the best.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts