Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Ranx,

As it mentions on the web page, the blinders have a 5-1/2" inside diameter. They can spread open up to a 5.8" diameter. According to the 4.6 x 4.6 dimensions of the light fixture, they would theoretically "fit". However, I highly question whether those dimensions include the mounting base or are they just the actual light enclosure. If the dimensions do not include the mounting base, and it is more than about an inch tall then the blinders would definitely not fit.

If you are set on those lights, I can only suggest trying them and seeing how it goes. As an alternative, consider this one instead which looks like they should fit better and are essentially the same light (I only took a very quick look so double check that):

Amazon.com: Tuff LED Lights 2 X 4" Inch Round 27watt LED Work Lamp Light 1550 Lumen, Off Road, Atv, Utv, Polaris Ranger: Automotive

Note: This link is to a pair of lights. Your link was to a single light, I believe. (double check that too)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ranx,

As it mentions on the web page, the blinders have a 5-1/2" inside diameter. They can spread open up to a 5.8" diameter. According to the 4.6 x 4.6 dimensions of the light fixture, they would theoretically "fit". However, I highly question whether those dimensions include the mounting base or are they just the actual light enclosure. If the dimensions do not include the mounting base, and it is more than about an inch tall then the blinders would definitely not fit.

If you are set on those lights, I can only suggest trying them and seeing how it goes. As an alternative, consider this one instead which looks like they should fit better and are essentially the same light (I only took a very quick look so double check that):

Amazon.com: Tuff LED Lights 2 X 4" Inch Round 27watt LED Work Lamp Light 1550 Lumen, Off Road, Atv, Utv, Polaris Ranger: Automotive

Note: This link is to a pair of lights. Your link was to a single light, I believe. (double check that too)
I already have the lights, 2 forward facing, 1 rear facing, the horse blinders was an afterthought. So I am kind of stuck at this point.

So the diagonal measurement for these square lights based on a 4.6" outside measurement would be 6.50" and that would exceed the diameter of your horseblinders. I will have to innovate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ranx,

Chris,
Have you heard of anyone using your suggested lights, I just wanted to make sure that they will work together and not get the horse blinds two hot or something.

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
Chris,
Have you heard of anyone using your suggested lights, I just wanted to make sure that they will work together and not get the horse blinds two hot or something.
Welcome Dave,
I can't/won't answer for Chris, but with the LED's I doubt heat will be a problem.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Chris,
Hello Dave, sorry but I don't get the opportunity to keep track of all of the lights being used with these blinders so I don't have an answer better than was mentioned above. To date, there has been only one minor issue with heat and that was with the Deere halogens, and that person even said they didn't understand how it happened because the lights never seem to get hot enough to have caused it. It was considered an anomaly.

As an extra measure, if there is a concern of heat transfer, one could always add some small isolators or foil tape in the affected area.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

It will work however it touches all sides.. The blinder is not bolted to the light mount but I have a bolt holding the blinder and the mount sits at a angle so from what I see these will work on the 27w square lights.. The 48w ers are larger lights..

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
It will work however it touches all sides.. The blinder is not bolted to the light mount but I have a bolt holding the blinder and the mount sits at a angle so from what I see these will work on the 27w square lights.. The 48w ers are larger lights..
Hey NEWT,

What sort of machine are those mounted on?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thought I would share my experience with the horse blinders given the recent post about the square LED lamps and whether the horse blinders would work with them or not.

I did the same as some others from the sounds of it in that I purchased a set of LED Lamps prior to reading about the blindness issue. Found out, due to location of mount, that severe blindness was a factor and then I realized later that the blinders I needed likely wouldn't fit with the lamps I had just purchased. A bit bummed.

Once I got the 1st LED mounted I used it one evening during a snow storm. It was a bit scary looking behind the tractor on the 1 side that I had the new LED light mounted. I was even contemplating not installing the 2nd light and instead having 1 side to always turn to for looking behind me due to the blindness. It was a bit dangerous trying to see behind the tractor. Started reading other post about the blindness and the solution of the horse blinders that Artillian provided.
The specs of 5 1/2" diameter made it appear that it probably wouldn't work in my case. Chris from Artillian was very supportive via email with my questions about the blinders. He also gave me some additional things to try in mounting them if it turned out they wouldn't fit. After the correspondence with Chris I thought it was worth taking a shot to see if I could make them fit. At least it was a good place to start with and if modifications were required it would likely be minimal vs starting from scratch.

So I ordered a set and just installed them about 2 days ago. IMO it came out pretty well. With the lights I had purchased the mounting bolt was larger than the slotted holes in the blinders so I had to use a dremel tool to open up the slots in the blinders just a bit. When I was using the dremel tool to open up the slot for the mounting bolt I also opened up the length of the slot about 1/8" on each end.

The end result was I was able to make them fit ok. The blinders do touch the lamps on 1 side in front and the tips of the rear fins but its really not too bad.

I agree with others in that I don't believe the heat will be an issue with the LED Lamps on a couple of fronts. 1st off I don't believe the heat dissipation fins will be that hot vs touching the lamps themselves, especially given the blinder is touching the tip of only 1 fin. And 2nd of all they will always be used in my case during the winter nites, so the natural cooling will be at work as well.

These are the lamps I purchased. I can tell you these things lite up the night. I was impressed. Probably a bit overkill but when it comes to optional add-ons and extra toys how can you go wrong with overkill.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AX0AI4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll also notice from my pics that I ended up getting what is likely the 1025r bracket for a 1026r. I did the math on whether to return or use. I ended up using and am glad now that I did. The larger brackets allowed me to mount the LED Lamps higher than the original bracket would have allowed, possibly giving me a better angle at the lighting area. I also believe the mounting bolt that came with the LED Lamps may have been too large to use if the original bracket were used, although I could have found one that fit most likely. And lastly, now with the addition of the horse blinders, the larger/higher bracket moves the blinders more out of the way of travel getting on/off the tractor.

I actually took the tractor out last nite just to see the impact the blinders had. Wow, what a difference. I'll feel much safer now when I'm plowing in the road down near the end of the driveway. All in all, the horse blinders seemed to work out well for my needs.

Thanks Chris for the feedback in the emails you replied too prior to my purchase!

During this project I had to also come up with a plan for the rear light I had in place. I had a rear lite previously installed which was being powered by the Front work lite optional wiring. I didn't want to have the rear lite on the same circuit as the front work lites due to running close to the edge of spec on that circuit. So I ended up using the power outlet circuit to wire the rear lite into. In 3 years I've never used the power outlet and I guess if I were to use it, the most likely item I would plug in would be a usb adapter which would draw 1 to 2 amps max. Given this is a 15amp circuit I figured it was worth tapping into it and using it for something other than the power outlet. I tapped into the power outlet circuit and added a switch in place of the blank plug and voila, rear lite now on the 15a circuit, separated from the forward lighting circuit of 20amps.

Life is good! Ready to play in the snow again!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Good idea in tapping into the 12V circuit.:thumbup1gif:
I think i'm gonna do the same thing when i decide on what LEDs i'm going to get..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts