Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our horses has gone lame and we have tried everything under the sun to get him healthy again, but he is just not responding well to treatment. Three weeks ago, we found him lying in the pasture with a swollen rear leg. We had the vet come look at him and he was treated for an infection. We kept him in a stall, and wrapped his leg, plus fed him his antibiotics and pain relievers. The symptoms didn't change much for several days. Vet came out again and we had another round of meds, wraps, cold washing and stall time. He got a little better, and we and the vet figured it was a bad case of cellulitis. We put together a round pen in the front yard to keep him in while he healed (flat and even ground), but that didn't hold him too well as he wanted to be with his buddies in the regular pasture. After retrieving him from the neighbors yard, we put him back in with his pals since he seemed to be healing well and putting weight on his hoof again. Unfortunately it didn't last long and now his leg is swollen and leaking serum again. He won't take any meds in grain or treats anymore (He caught on to our sneeky plans) and is three legged lame. We are now three weeks into this and are at wits end. I'm not sure how to help him much more than what we have been, and the vet bills have racked up pretty high. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I have to say, you are lucky its winter time. In the summer, it would have been so infected and had flies and maggots that it wouldn't even be funny. This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I think the best course of action is to just put it down. :snipersmilie:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to say, you are lucky its winter time. In the summer, it would have been so infected and had flies and maggots that it wouldn't even be funny. This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I think the best course of action is to just put it down. :snipersmilie:
I agree that we are very lucky its cool outside. This would have been much worse if it were in the summer.

So, why do you feel we should put him down? Just looking for a bit more if an explanation. Do you think he will never be able to be ridden again, or do you think even if he heals that this will be a reoccurring problem?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I would talk to your vet by phone about an IM (inter-muscular antibiotics given by syringe) injection rather than oral meds. You should be able to pick up the IM meds and administer them yourself, saving a visit from the vet. If needed, send them a picture or two of the leg to help him understand the current status.

I feel for you, and wish you (and the horse) the best. I will be praying for you to have wisdom in dealing with this difficult situations.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would talk to your vet by phone about an IM (inter-muscular antibiotics given by syringe) injection rather than oral meds. You should be able to pick up the IM meds and administer them yourself, saving a visit from the vet. If needed, send them a picture or two of the leg to help him understand the current status.

I feel for you, and wish you (and the horse) the best. I will be praying for you to have wisdom in dealing with this difficult situations.
Our vet knows our horse by name at this point. We've been in contact nearly every other day by phone. He realizes that the bills are getting high, and has even started putting meds out in a lockbox for us rather than coming to see the horse again.

I do feel that it's not going to end well for our horse, but I just need to make sure I'm not making hasty decisions.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Sorry for your loss and the outcome. That sounded like a bazaar problem - strange.

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Sorry Tonton. Losing a furry friend is never easy....

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
Sorry Tonton. Such a beautiful horse too. Are you going to see what it was that took Gunner? At least Gunner got to be with his friends at the last.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well, Gunner made our decision for us. He passed away last night. I'm gonna miss him.
I am truly sorry for the loss of your animal. I'm glad to know Gunner is no longer suffering, but the loss is like a centerpiece-piece of a puzzle is now missing from the ranch.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss,,
20 years ago, we had a similar loss,, our dairy cow.

My wife wanted a dairy cow around while our daughters were young.
She purchased one off a local dairy,, the cow was "blind in one eye"
in other words , she only produced from three teats.

That was perfect for us, she still produced 3X as much milk as we could use.

Well.. after about 5 years,, the cow up and died,,, on Christmas day.

So, our family tradition each year is,,,
on Christmas morning,, the stockings are filled,,,
and the cow in the manger scene is turned on its side like it is dead,,,,,

Twenty years later,, and even this year,, our daughters have noticed the turned over cow.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know what really stinks, is the fact that I no longer own a backhoe and I can't find anyone to come out and dig a grave nor can I get a rental today. It's the weekend between Christmas and New Year and everything is closed!

This could turn out even more traumatic for the kids if the cyotes get to the carcass tonight. I should've sprung for the bh when I upgraded to the 4105, but just couldn't justify the extra $8k at the time.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Sorry to hear this Tonton.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
You know what really stinks, is the fact that I no longer own a backhoe and I can't find anyone to come out and dig a grave nor can I get a rental today. It's the weekend between Christmas and New Year and everything is closed!

This could turn out even more traumatic for the kids if the cyotes get to the carcass tonight. I should've sprung for the bh when I upgraded to the 4105, but just couldn't justify the extra $8k at the time.:banghead:
Not sure about your location, but here they have a rendering service that will come and pick up cattle and horses. I think they charged $125 the last time we had to put a horse down. You might do a 'search' for rendering.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,093 Posts
Not sure about your location, but here they have a rendering service that will come and pick up cattle and horses. I think they charged $125 the last time we had to put a horse down. You might do a 'search' for rendering.
Here also. We've had 3 taken over the years.
Not sure it's completely legal to bury a horse around here.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts

Do you have a tooth bar for your loader bucket? It can be done.

While not nearly as big that is how I burried our Mastiffs. Just make yourself a ramp as you dig down. A lot of in and out. But if you are desperate it can be done.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Here also. We've had 3 taken over the years.
Not sure it's completely legal to bury a horse around here.
Here also - but I know it does happen.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I agree that we are very lucky its cool outside. This would have been much worse if it were in the summer.

So, why do you feel we should put him down? Just looking for a bit more if an explanation. Do you think he will never be able to be ridden again, or do you think even if he heals that this will be a reoccurring problem?
I come from a production mindset. I focus on herd health, not necessarily the health of an individual animal. If there is a death, ok so be it. If lots of animals start dying, then its my fault.

My thinking on this issue is, why should you spend so much time, effort, and money on it when you could just focus in the overall herd and be done with it. Not to mention that it is time, money, and effort that could be spent on something else.

Also, in my experience, issues like this don't ever truly go away. In the long run, it would be better to just get it out of the way and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts