Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at different ideas on how I’m gonna build my stalls, particularly stall fronts.

I know I’m going to do sliding doors. I’m going to have feed troughs included in the fronts in some fashion.

I’ve seen kits from RAMM and others but I’d like to try DIY.

Let’s see what you have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Here is what we built this past summer.

It's a conversion from 12' Noble panels with door to wooden stall front with a gate.

Sent from a magic box in my pocket.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
You mentioned feed troughs. We put in these wall mount feeders, still use plastic tubs on the floor for grain.

Sent from a magic box in my pocket.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like you went DIY style to an older barn. I like it.

I'm debating pre-fab front panel kits, then modifying them to work in our barn.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Yep. The barn was built in '08, I bought the place in Nov. of '17. I don't think that they had more than one stall used in all that time. I don't like the barn layout so I'm slowly modifying to be more of what I want. First order was reworking the stalls, next will be doubling the hayloft and reworking the lighting.

I looked at the stall kits and just didn't want that many moving parts and metal frames etc. I might feel differently if I was building a brand spanking new barn though. I'd probably be building an equine palace.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I don't have horse's and plan is to never have them. However I did find a product called Stall Saver's, I used it for the base of a double dog kennel I built. It allows urine to flow through and not use up a ton of bedding. I don't use bedding throughout the kennel but I can see the advantage in a horse stall.

Stall Savers - Horse Stall mats

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
This is the only picture I have handy, but I can find a better one if you want. The stalls are all 2x8 tongue and groove yellow pine. The first 2 courses are green treated. You can see the swing out feeders on the left side of each stall. There are 4 foot sliding doors in the front and 4 foot Dutch doors in the back of each stall. There are steel bars between the stalls which I added later. They seem to really like seeing each other.

Attachments

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the only picture I have handy, but I can find a better one if you want. The stalls are all 2x8 tongue and groove yellow pine. The first 2 courses are green treated. You can see the swing out feeders on the left side of each stall. There are 4 foot sliding doors in the front and 4 foot Dutch doors in the back of each stall. There are steel bars between the stalls which I added later. They seem to really like seeing each other.
Arlen, this is what I'm leaning towards, something like what you have. I'd love to see a close up.:bigthumb:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
IMG_1054_1.jpg

EMT conduit, a lot of EMT conduit :lol:...

IMG_1057_1.jpg

IMG_1055_1.jpg

IMG_1056_1.jpg

Corner feeders when kids were small :lol:, 1/8" angle all around, Pressure Treated T&G between stalls 4 boards up...

Mandy_grain_dish.jpg

We have 5 stalls, 11' x 11'. Removable partition between 3 of the stalls. I have more picture, someplace :dunno:.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 674024

EMT conduit, a lot of EMT conduit :lol:...

View attachment 674030

View attachment 674026

View attachment 674028

Corner feeders when kids were small :lol:, 1/8" angle all around, Pressure Treated T&G between stalls 4 boards up...

View attachment 674034

We have 5 stalls, 11' x 11'. Removable partition between 3 of the stalls. I have more picture, someplace :dunno:.
So you made your own “windows” with the emt conduit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Arlen, this is what I'm leaning towards, something like what you have. I'd love to see a close up.:bigthumb:
Just took these tonite. You have to excuse the mess...the cleaning lady doesn’t come till tuesday:laugh:
Tried to get some different views. In case you’re wondering why there is a feeder bolted to the wall...the miniature donkeys are too short to reach the swing out feeder:mocking:

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I love that swing-out feeder! :good2: Is there a reason why you would want bars at the top of the stall wall? I prefer horses being able to stick their heads out and over the wall ... waiting for an apple and some human affection.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
I love that swing-out feeder! :good2: Is there a reason why you would want bars at the top of the stall wall? I prefer horses being able to stick their heads out and over the wall ... waiting for an apple and some human affection.
I don't care for the horses pushing on the wall. Plus I hate those friendly little bites some like to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts