Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just brush hogged my horse pasture. I understand that you should mow the pasture prior to seeding it, but I'm not sure it's short enough with a JD RC2048 set level at it's highest.
I watched a dude on The You Tube use a drag harrow prior to seeding.
I couldn't tell if the drag harrow was digging-in harshly or if the tongs were pointed to the rear.
What would you do?
edit, when do i fertilize?

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,250 Posts
I've tried that, somewhat successful, but not good enough. If you want to do it right turn it up with disc harrows, throw the seed and hit it with a cultipacker.

·
Registered
956 Posts
would grazing the pasture for a week or two after overseeding help promote seed to soil contact from the horse hooves?

Reactions: MachoDrone

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I have coastal bermuda pastures. For winter forage I seed with Attain rye grass. First, the coastal gets scalped to 1 inch. Then I broadcast the rye seed with a Herd seeder T 100 pounds per acre, which is 2x the recommended rate - the bird flocks that always show up eat their share. Next is dragging with a chain harrow, tines up, to get as many seeds in contact with the dirt as possible. Then I irrigate the heck out of those areas where I have systems, and pray, pray, pray for rain for the rest of the land. I save 1 of the 4 pastures to seed later for turnout so the horses are off the seeded areas for at least 2 weeks after germination. Then it's time for a starter fertilizer.

For me, I hope to break even financially by having winter forage grass and not having to buy any hay. It has worked 3 of the past 5 years and now beginning year 6. The rye grass seed is in the barn waiting on daytime highs to drop under 70 degrees.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just seeded winter rye in my garden for a cover crop. I first roto tilled the garden and then seeded. Last year I then immediately raked (by hand) the whole garden but not this year as there is lots of rain in the for cast starting Sat. evening. Last year I had to run a sprinkler since it was dry and still ended up over seeding again. Hope my strategy works out better this year. I thought about using my spike tooth harrow but don't want the compaction and I certainly would not pull it backwards, just set the teeth up as much as possible.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
first off any kind of overseed is a crap shoot .............i do it this time of year......talking fields not yards......i mow as close as i can .usually about 1-1/2......then i pull a chain harrow in its most agressive tine down setting around several times....then i broadcast or drop seed at at least twice the recommended rate.........then i roll with a flat roller or cultipacker several times.......and i only do this right before a forecasted heavy rain....sucess varries

one think to consider is the physical size and shape of the seed......small round seeds are much more sucessful than large long seeds

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,806 Posts
I would think a good rain would drop the seed.
With our pastures a good fertilizer worked darn good lime helps a lot also.

Reactions: MachoDrone

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I wait until the seeds have germinated, been growing, and have been mowed once or twice before fertilizing. This is the advice I have been following from my state's land grant university - Clemson. In my location in the coastal plain, this usually means sowing the seed in late October and usually fertilizing sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Based on soil test results, I will be using 150# of nitrogen per acre of 16-4-8.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.