Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Strolling Home Depot the other evening, I saw these rubber stair treads and thought of this group. I know many use the horse stall mats under their MMM decks when disconnecting on concrete, and one of the "issues" has been the weight of the stall mats when wanting to move them around.

These rubber treads are 8" x 24" and appear to be about 5/8" thick. Not sure it they would work or not, but relocating a few small pieces would be way easier than lugging the mat. At <$4 ea the price is right.

rubber_tread1.jpg rubber_tread.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,351 Posts
Looks nice but pretty expenses. for a 4x8 area at 24 pieces x $4.= $96.00

Reactions: PJR832 and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
A 4x6 stall mat weighs 96 lbs. and costs $43. You could probably get away with 4 of the strips above ($16.00). Definitely worth a try.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed, if one only was going to support the deck, and not tile the floor, it looks like an alternative. I think one could get by with 3 pieces (one each side and front) your looking at about $12 and 5 pounds.

I don't have a blade, but it would be interesting to see how a segmented strip would do for the edge. A 54" blade would take two pieces and way easier to manipulate when cutting.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Thanks for the post, 56Nine, but I don't think they would stay flat in place with my horses, anyway. They paw and pick up the 4'x6' mats with their teeth.

I'm looking for an alternative to mats...they're getting pretty beat up now. Thinking concrete or steel plate...:laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
Thanks for the post, 56Nine, but I don't think they would stay flat in place with my horses, anyway. They paw and pick up the 4'x6' mats with their teeth.

I'm looking for an alternative to mats...they're getting pretty beat up now. Thinking concrete or steel plate...:laugh:
I don't think the OP was suggesting to use the Home Depot treads to assemble a horse stall mat. He was suggesting using them under your mower deck to keep it from sliding around when driving over it. A lot of folks currently use a horse stall mat for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
15,351 Posts
A 4x6 stall mat weighs 96 lbs. and costs $43. You could probably get away with 4 of the strips above ($16.00). Definitely worth a try.
So you will end up with a 2'x 32" instead of a 4'x6' double that you are up to $32.00 and still not same coverage. ,, Strips are only 24" L not 48"
PLus

only 8" about the width of a piece of paper coming out of your printer. :dunno:

Plus smaller strips will usually work around on the floor and not stay in place. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I don't think the OP was suggesting to use the Home Depot treads to assemble a horse stall mat. He was suggesting using them under your mower deck to keep it from sliding around when driving over it. A lot of folks currently use a horse stall mat for that purpose.
Yup. You're right...my tunnel vision kicked in again.

Reactions: PJR832 and jgayman

·
Registered
913 Posts
TSC sells a 4 ft x 3 ft x 1/2 inch rubber mat. List is $24.99, and often on sale for $19.99.

They are light enough for a 70 year old to pick up and move, and also heavy enough to stay in place over concrete.

I keep one at each end of my barn aisle as places to temporarily drop the bucket, pallet forks, 60D mower, loaded pallets, and such. I occasionally toss one in the pickup bed to protect it if I'm moving implements that might gouge the bed liner.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/utility-rubber-mat-black-4-ft-x-3-ft-x--frac12-in?cm_vc=-10005

The 4 ft x 6 ft x 3/4 inch horse stall mats are just too large and hard to move for me. I do have these thicker mats in the stalls and grooming areas in the barn aisle. The wash stall has the 3x4 mats, since they can be more easily removed when needed, and since the horses aren't on them for long periods of time, and are supervised to minimize pawing.

And, like every horse person, I have been stepped on from time to time, and I just feel more comfortable with some padding in case parts of me get between a metal-shod hoof and a concrete floor. I know there will still be damage, but it just makes me feel better to have mats. Maybe there will just be a break instead of a crush.:dunno:

Reactions: pcabe5 and keane
1 - 12 of 12 Posts