Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the suggestion of a certain hot tub afficianado i have started this thread to document this project which to be honest I am not enthused about. This turned into a rant so skip it if you are not entertained by that! I am not a hot tub (or pool) fan, really don't want one and can't see the other folks in the house using it after the 2 month wow factor time period passes. So stay tuned, you may be able to buy a lightly used one next spring. :dunno:

To be fair we did talk about one many years ago when I built the deck so I beefed up the support structure to handle the weight. And we looked at them while out on other errands last fall but i thought (hoped) the idea had died on the vine since it had not come up again all winter. Until about two weeks ago when the brochure showed up and I was asked for my opinion on one pump or two, so looking at electrical draw and footprint size i said one pump. A week ago she says she ordered the two pump model and it will be here in about 3-1/2 weeks.

Great, two pumps, bigger footprint....glad to have given my input. Now to replace the decking (which we had talked about doing this Spring) before it gets here, not a big deal given three weeks....except I find out it isn't to sit on the deck but on the ground next to the deck which is about 16" high. I am told it will be easier to get in and out of it this way. OK, so the deck in that area needs gone, base prepared and pad poured....and of course allowing three weeks for this doesn't work since any decent concrete guys that will do something this small are booked until August. But nobody thinks about that part of the magic of how stuff gets installed. I do know a couple 'recovering' individuals at the half way house that do concrete and are looking for work but i'd rather they not know where i live. So after being semi-inspired by Dieselshadows thread I am on my way.

20170523_121649.jpg

Decking gone, beams need to be gone but i need to put support posts for the beams where the new edge of the deck will be located. It will be fun digging those post holes right against that joist. :banghead: Then remove enough soil to allow for stone and then pour the concrete pad. Going with the more is better advice, the pad will be 8'5" wide to span end of house to new edge of deck & run 12' out from the house to match the current deck width.

Electrically I need to remove that wall outlet since it will be within reach while in the tub which is a no-no. The coach light on the right side of the french doors is probably against code also so it may need to come down. Can't wait to break that to the decorating committee since i just replaced all the coach lights in Feb. I need to get the 50A gfci disconnect and #6 wire to run from the panel, then run conduit & the wire from the disconnect to the tub.

The downspout will need to be run around the corner of the house to the discharge pipe in the back. Probably some other things that I am not realizing just yet.
Other than that its not a big deal....right!?!?!?! Rant over....I will be buying tums in the BIG bottle the next couple weeks....i need an attitude adjustment. :bigbeer:

20170523_121621.jpg

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
I'll be following along just for the ride.

I've never been in one of these things but I have the feeling that one would be very therapeutic for me. I doubt there would be any loss of "wow" factor here. But seeing the work involved is good for me because I would never be able to do any of it.

And I know I've been told that it is no big deal, but going outside in the winter in shorts (and coming back in wet) will just never happen.

Project with an attitude - should prove interesting!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not a big fan of them either. Waste of electricity and water. Not to mention the upkeep with chemicals.

We (she) bought one this winter after the pavers were installed. No big deal on the install. Just had to be sure to stub up the conduits of the power (50AMP with emergency disconnect). I have sat in it a few times but I can only last 10-15 mins. Even with a beer or glass of wine. It sits across from the power meter so I can see the power usage. At least it not the spinning type any more cause that would drive me crazy.

PS: 2 pumps

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Tiltist-i have laugh at ur post-ok.:mocking: i used to go once a week yrs ago -when the therapy lady had one in her business. ohhhh-it helped a lot..............that's when i was running dozer and ripping rock every night. then it was worth its weight in gold.

the more pumps in it-the better the jets will work-:dunno:at least that's what i have been told! it might be a lot of work-and as u said -the WOW factor will no doubt die off-but at least u will have it at ur beckon will to use anytime u want too.

carry on:munch:

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Run the downspout underground right where it is now. Are you looking for new troubles? :laugh: Feel better that you are buying something to go with your work. My neighbor got a pool for free and has almost $10K in it now. I need to ask him if he needs help getting the "free pool" ready for summer, gets him every time.:lol: I think he's given up on the hot tub idea now.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
One of my past jobs was installing Hot tubs for a deck builder. What i saw you would not believe. People with old houses with 100 amp service and the main box already overloaded. Tubs put the furthest lenght possible from the service panel. One person wanted the tub in the middle of his great room by the Air tight wood burner, on top of the carpet. after about three weeks i decided i had seem enough. When i quit he offered to double my pay and he was amazed when i walked out.

I have a 400 gallon Jacuzzi on my three season deck now. i like the middle of winter take the cover off and the windows fog up and i set in the tub watching football drinking diet coke. That is a good day.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
My neighbor got a pool for free and has almost $10K in it now.
Reminds me of the "free goldfish" my kids won at the school carnival years ago. It was in the form of a coupon to get it at the local pet store. $40 later (for a bowl, food, gravel, bowel decorations, etc., etc., etc....) we walked out of there with our "free goldfish". :banghead:

Sweetie had a hot tub years ago and liked it. We bought one a small (140 gallons, 120V/15A circuit) one a couple of years ago at the home show. I do like getting in it from time to time, especially if I've been working in the yard all day. It does make you feel a lot better. Our is on the deck, right off the master bedroom.

The maintenance is kind of pain, but not too bad. I still feel like I'm "chasing" the chemical balance. A little at a time is the way to go when making adjustments.

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
Reminds me of the "free goldfish" my kids won at the school carnival years ago. It was in the form of a coupon to get it at the local pet store. $40 later (for a bowl, food, gravel, bowel decorations, etc., etc., etc....) we walked out of there with our "free goldfish". :banghead:

Sweetie had a hot tub years ago and liked it. We bought one a small (140 gallons, 120V/15A circuit) one a couple of years ago at the home show. I do like getting in it from time to time, especially if I've been working in the yard all day. It does make you feel a lot better. Our is on the deck, right off the master bedroom.

The maintenance is kind of pain, but not too bad. I still feel like I'm "chasing" the chemical balance. A little at a time is the way to go when making adjustments.
That would be more my speed - or the speed of my old house. Don't know about anything electrical but I think I have only 100 amp service and the box is full - even has some 1/2 size breakers in it.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts
I don't ever want to own a pool or hot tub. I feel your pain. :banghead:

Same goes for livestock.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't ever want to own a pool or hot tub. I feel your pain. :banghead:

Same goes for livestock.
Yep...my motto was never own a pool, boat or horse.

Got the beams out of the way last night and moved the hose bib to the new end of the deck. Wrestled the joist hangers off the ledger board. I decided to leave the ledger board in place and will cover it with aluminum. It would need to be cut at the new edge of the deck and that would be a pain to do with the siding being so close to it. Besides when the next change of plans comes along I would probably need a ledger board and now I will be prepared!! :thumbup1gif:

Here is a pic of one of the rusted out hangers on the center beam...

20170523_175030.jpg

And one in much better shape that was on the ledger board...I wouldn't have thought there would be this much difference between them.

20170523_175037.jpg

Rain is softening things up today so I can remove some dirt Friday for the forms and gravel work on Saturday. Concrete next week sometime. Chiropractor immediately to follow!

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You won't need a chiropractor anymore, you'll have a hot tub!:good2::lol:
Where's Pappa's "Bite Me" button when you need it?!?! :lol:

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I actually prefer this one::lol:​

Attached Thumbnails

:lolol:U WASN'T KIDDING WHEN U SAID U WAS GONNA GRACE US WITH UR PRESENCE-HUH!:lol: i have seen rtgt-roaming the halls here today-also:mocking:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
And I know I've been told that it is no big deal, but going outside in the winter in shorts (and coming back in wet) will just never happen.
Same here, I leave the shorts in the house. :lol:

Not a big fan of them either. Waste of electricity and water. Not to mention the upkeep with chemicals.
Other than draining and refilling every 4-6 months, maintenance is a breeze.
Instead of taking long hot soaking baths 4 days a week or more and using all the hot water our electric bill went down a lot once the hot tub was installed. We have an all electric house.

When our hot tub dies WE will be shopping for a new one the next day. Got our hot tub in 2007 we still use it 6.5 - 7 days a week.

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts

Other than draining and refilling ever 4-6 months, maintenance is a breeze.
Instead of taking long hot soaking baths 4 days a week or more and using all the hot water our electric bill went down a lot once the hot tub was installed. We have an all electric house.

When our hot tub dies WE will be shopping for a new one the next day. Got our hot tub in 2007 we still use it 6.5 - 7 days a week.

Same deal here, well not leaving the shorts in the house:mocking:

On second thought, maybe I should. I might be able to get a few of my neighbors to move just yet.:lol:

·
Registered
12,282 Posts

Other than draining and refilling ever 4-6 months, maintenance is a breeze.

:nunu::nunu::nunu::nunu:WELL YA SURE DIDN'T TRY IT OUT WHILE I WAS THERE!:drama::cry:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Titleist1, IMO two pumps a better than one.
I think you''l have a nice pad when done. Allow room next to the house for cover and or cover hinge.

A few pictures of my install...

IMG_1118.jpg _ IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_3574.JPG _ IMG_3577.JPG

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
1 - 20 of 89 Posts