Discussion Starter #1

·
Old Pa-pa
11,921 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
That can put some illegals out of work...… costs $50 per acre to operate as opposed to paying labor of $100 per acre...

Sincerely

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Attractive to organic growers

That can put some illegals out of work...… costs $50 per acre to operate as opposed to paying labor of $100 per acre...

Sincerely
I could see organic growers being very interested. There might be some real risks involved but pulling weeds in a hot field isn't much fun.

Treefarmer

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Now that's pretty cool.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,998 Posts
I was at a farm conference in December. They had booths and one of them had Lp weed burners under a shield. I wondered about residue issues with that as well.:dunno:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I could see this as having a decent effect on annual weeds but perennial nuisance fescues and broadleaf I think those would just laugh at and quickly come back.

I occasionally do weed control in my gardens with a tool called a weed dragon and you it works great on annual. Just heat it enough to get the leaves to wilt and they are dead. Perrennial weeds especially grasses it just knocks them back for maybe a week or so but come the first good rain they will start to green back up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Weed control

Not being familiar with the process but just thinking out of the box here, if visual recognition is the key to killing the weeds wouldn't it be possible to forgo the electrics and just use the chemical weed killer via an injector triggered by a pressurized solenoid, similar to the ones in vehicle engines for fuel. No generator needed.

I'm thinking that it would save a considerable amount of chemical if the whole crop was normally sprayed instead of just the weeds.

We'd have to be sure to avoid the marijuana plants of course.:lol:

Disclaimer: I am not a farmer so go easy on me.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
232 Posts
Back in the day, 25 years ago or so, a neighbor was sick of draining the accounts of cash due to the high cost of pesticides for spraying his spuds. I am sure he didn't come up with the idea on his own, but he for sure built his his own beetle burner monster! What started out as a cultivator lost its tines, and lots of plumbing and burners were added, and the saddle tanks taken off of the tractor and replaced with LP tanks. Burned the beetles right off the plant, and the plant bounced back quick! Bottom line, I like the enginerding and thinking out of the box!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I could see this as having a decent effect on annual weeds but perennial nuisance fescues and broadleaf I think those would just laugh at and quickly come back.

I occasionally do weed control in my gardens with a tool called a weed dragon and you it works great on annual. Just heat it enough to get the leaves to wilt and they are dead. Perrennial weeds especially grasses it just knocks them back for maybe a week or so but come the first good rain they will start to green back up.
This is different from burning the weeds. They are cooked from the inside and supposedly die from the tippy top to the end of the root. I'd like to see it. Burning is sorta like singeing the hair off your arm. It'll grow back. But a severe electric shock to the arm will cause internal muscle damage.

Just more food for thought.

·
Premium Member
5,998 Posts
Not being familiar with the process but just thinking out of the box here, if visual recognition is the key to killing the weeds wouldn't it be possible to forgo the electrics and just use the chemical weed killer via an injector triggered by a pressurized solenoid, similar to the ones in vehicle engines for fuel. No generator needed.

I'm thinking that it would save a considerable amount of chemical if the whole crop was normally sprayed instead of just the weeds.

That is being worked on. Cameras identify a weed and as the boom goes over it gives it a spray of chemicals. This has to have the chemical companies worried because spraying for a foot over 10 should mean a lot less chemicals.

The fire or electrical is more for organic/chemical free. In this case I guess carbon from the LP is ok.:dunno:

Reactions: DaddysDream

·
Registered
426 Posts
Not being familiar with the process but just thinking out of the box here, if visual recognition is the key to killing the weeds wouldn't it be possible to forgo the electrics and just use the chemical weed killer via an injector triggered by a pressurized solenoid....
One issue with chemicals is that weeds are becoming resistant to herbicides. I was a seminar a year ago where they explained it. Weeds mutate and certain mutations are resistant to the chemical. Say one in 10,000. So you spray the field and kill 9999 weeds. The one that doesn't die is resistant. So it produces seeds and these grow plants that are also resistant. This is a purely fictional example but is to provide info on how the weeds develop the resistance to herbicides.

And I'd really like to personally see the results of the weed zapper!

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great minds

That's actually a very big research area for companies. The idea is to use visual and IR pattern to identify weeds as opposed to crop plants and to kill just the weeds. Some companies are working on mechanical removal using recognition technology.

I think Old Sparky was simpler- it only hit the weeds that are above the crop. Wick bars have a similar impact using chemicals. Stand up too high and you get wiped.

Treefarmer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts