Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this plumbing company coming tomorrow to install sewer drain pipe 80 feet house to tank. Unfortunately it starts under my brand new asphalt driveway which they'll dig up (about a ft wide hopefully). They dropped off backhoe.
Four inch PVC, I said 2 ft deep...owner said there's no regulations on depth! In Virginia here I've always thought frost line was 18". He said with the fall angle there won't be standing water (already I'm not liking the company that much...but I was lucky getting anyone.
Thoughts appreciated, I'll be here to check. To me, it should be 2ft since occasionally I'll drive tractor over it. I'm wishing now I had done it myself except insurance company supposed to pay (maybe).
Plant Automotive tire Tree Motor vehicle Tire

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Unless your waste line is pumped, the depth is determined by the inlet level of the tank and the outlet level of the house. The usual figure is 1/8" drop per foot of line. At 80 feet, you've already got 10 inches of fall

How wide is your new driveway ? Driving a pipe through 12 feet of soil is doable with a pit dug on each side.

PS.. That's a cute excavator.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It seems this contractor has the attitude " I'll do it the way I've always done it " . The county health dept. says how it's to be done in my county and even rejected the type of pvc pipe the contractor had delivered .

If you see a common ell rather than a long radius ell or a standard T on the job , get another contractor even if you have to pay for work that's been done to that point .

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
Mine isn't that long of a run but it is only about 6" below grade at the house end. Frost lines don 't matter much. The decomp going on in the tank generates heat that warms the pipe. Plus, content in the pipe is coming form inside the house. Your draining heated water through that line every time someone takes a shower, runs the dishwasher, etc...

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,370 Posts
Ok mine is 6 inches by the house and 4 feet at the tank but it’s determined by tank depth ours is technically to deep but I’m grandfather in make sure to use the right pipe and I whould definitely do a clean out in there I have a 500 foot run to my tank but always do a clean out if you can also check your tanks maybe do a raiser while you have that dug up

·
Registered
158 Posts
I live in MN so the frost goes a lot deeper but most lines from the house to the tank are less than the depth of frost. Plastic pipe is smooth and as long as it is installed correctly, with a continuous drop you should be fine. There will be heat coming from the tank back up the pipe and water flowing through the pipe will keep it above freezing under normal use. However, trouble can occur even if it installed correctly. Usually from small trickles of water from a slight faucet leak or a ultra high efficient furnace that empties the flue waste water into the drain. I know, because I had a freeze up under my driveway a few years ago. To be safe, I suggest run several gallons of hot water down the drain once a month during the coldest months. This should remove any ice that may be starting to form.

Your installer may lack social skills but it's very possible he knows what he is doing. Make sure he does a careful job of setting the pipe so it has no dips and it has a continuous drop and you should be OK. Another safeguard would be a layer of 2" pink Styrofoam (rated for below grade) over the pipe before the trench gets filled.

·
Registered
882 Posts
all the above i good advice/facts. I lived on a hill at the house the pipe was 9 foot deep at the tank about 2 foot.
When installed properly the drain line should always be empty nothing to freeze.
Cranky contractor tired of people questioning his ability because they seen/read something on the internet/youtube.
I retired early from contracting because of this. I reverted to buying, restoring and having someone sell them when I was done. I never spoke to a customer/buyer. Eight years of bliss.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,964 Posts
Ours is ~12" -18" below grade, I've seen 30 below here in NY it's never been an issue.

Reactions: rtgt and DRobinson

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Line could be bored with one of those directional drills.

Just did 140' of 4" conduit at the neighbors.

They shove the bit through and pull the pipe back with it.

Zero damage to driveway......likely too late put entirely possible.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Line could be bored with one of those directional drills.

Just did 140' of 4" conduit at the neighbors.

They shove the bit through and pull the pipe back with it.

Zero damage to driveway......likely too late put entirely possible.
Not to be negative....but the critical slopes needed for gravity sewer do not lend itself to boreing

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Not to be negative....but the critical slopes needed for gravity sewer do not lend itself to boreing

Noted

The technoligy has changed.......20 ' accross a driveway is nothing.

They went 20 foot down to clear tree roots on an up hill shoot 140' , Then brought it up under the house foudation into the crawl space and hit the surface perfect under the backside of electrical panel .
We fed the conduits ( 3 of them) through a foundation vent...and they sucked all three back in one shot.

Less than 2 hours total.

This team had their act together.....I was amazed ,shocked and quite pleased.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Noted

The technoligy has changed.......20 ' accross a driveway is nothing.

They went 20 foot down to clear tree roots on an up hill shoot 140' , Then brought it up under the house foudation into the crawl space and hit the surface perfect under the backside of electrical panel .
We fed the conduits ( 3 of them) through a foundation vent...and they sucked all three back in one shot.

Less than 2 hours total.

This team had their act together.....I was amazed ,shocked and quite pleased.
I wonder if @ttazzman is saying that bored pipe can’t keep a precise slope and probably there will be undulations in the pipe that will trap turd material creating further turd flow issues (bad).👎

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
My take is they can hit whatever mark with the right crew.

I'd not even consider ripping up a fresh driveway.

Whats the actual problem with the old pipe ( under driveway) and why cant they just "line" that section???or reuse it??
is it sectional clay pipe?
Why is the tank so far from house??
..its a 10' setback here unless a pump is part of the system...still the tank is 10' from house...then an other smaller that that "matter" gets pumped Up to.

This shenanagins would never take place on MY place.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I wonder if @ttazzman is saying that bored pipe can’t keep a precise slope and probably there will be undulations in the pipe that will trap turd material creating further turd flow issues (bad).👎
my experience is several years old .....but the issues are/were as follows .......undulations ...pipe not properly bedded....presison aspects of start and stop points..... as someone mentioned before sewer pipes need to be at a specific slope ....to much and fluids run away from the solids ...to little and solids dont move as needed......slopes need to be within 1/8" normally but it varies with the size of the pipe ........in the past directional boring as wonderful as it is certainly didnt fit the bill......normal straight boring for short distances could work but you over bored the hole ...used a stiff pipe set the slope with a shoot thru laser and pumped in grout to properly bed the pipe ......none of that was practical for most sewers ......there are times we did actually do that kind of work but it cost thousands and was reserved for issues like going under a state highway etc......obviously its the Gravity aspect that is the issue a forced main was not a problem and sometimes that was the way to cross highways etc without shutting them down

to me patching a driveway and resealing would not be that big of a issue .....but maybe boreing tech has gotten better the last few years

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I mean this in the nicest possible way...

From the sounds of Job description......Are these hacks even gonna put a level on the pipe...much less "bed" it.....No. Their gonna rip a trench....kick in a pipe..maybe smoke one of whatever flavor.

Go to lunch ...forget which way the biubble goes......oh yeah...then stomp in some bagged cold patch or whatever its called....leave a nasty scar that will settle in His newly paved driveway.

Lets hope it goes better.....I'm not convinced yet.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I should have explained better. The house is about 80 y.o., cinderblock, vinyl sided. Driveway goes up against concrete foundation. Along foundation is the main 240v underground electric, under edge of driveway down 2 feet. Crawlspace underneath. House rewired & plumbing about 30 years ago (we've been here 42), second owner. So house PVC goes into cast iron out to I'm thinking Orangeburg. Tank put in I'm guessing 1960s, I had it pumped 4 years ago (distribution box was clogged going out to drain lines).
From house to tank about 80-90 ft., house to tank is a fall of about 10 ft. A few weeks ago wife heard "explosion" in a downstairs bathroom (no jokes here...I was in garage )...water everywhere, in tub, floor, sinks.
Apparently pipe collapsed or tree roots crushed it (?).
I checked...pipe delivered here is schedule 40.
I believe it will all be ok, it will be a mess. I'll have to have paving co. patch/seal ($32K) drive.
A clean out would be good to have in line.
I wanted it deep enough since sometimes I'll drive a truck or tractor over the area.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I mean this in the nicest possible way...

From the sounds of Job description......Are these hacks even gonna put a level on the pipe...much less "bed" it.....No. Their gonna rip a trench....kick in a pipe..maybe smoke one of whatever flavor.

Go to lunch ...forget which way the biubble goes......oh yeah...then stomp in some bagged cold patch or whatever its called....leave a nasty scar that will settle in His newly paved driveway.

Lets hope it goes better.....I'm not convinced yet.
oh come on .... :ROFLMAO: .....you gotta have a little more faith.....if they can dig a perfect slope in they wouldnt need to bed it in ....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:......and a good hit of PVC glue will save them some money on smokes ....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.....and didnt you know that driveway needed a expansion jt in it anyway so they are doing him a favor with the cold patch....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.....and they shouldnt have any trouble in the future locating the line to fix it if needed

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I should have explained better. The house is about 80 y.o., cinderblock, vinyl sided. Driveway goes up against concrete foundation. Along foundation is the main 240v underground electric, under edge of driveway down 2 feet. Crawlspace underneath. House rewired & plumbing about 30 years ago (we've been here 42), second owner. So house PVC goes into cast iron out to I'm thinking Orangeburg. Tank put in I'm guessing 1960s, I had it pumped 4 years ago (distribution box was clogged going out to drain lines).
From house to tank about 80-90 ft., house to tank is a fall of about 10 ft. A few weeks ago wife heard "explosion" in a downstairs bathroom (no jokes here...I was in garage )...water everywhere, in tub, floor, sinks.
Apparently pipe collapsed or tree roots crushed it (?).
I checked...pipe delivered here is schedule 40.
I believe it will all be ok, it will be a mess. I'll have to have paving co. patch/seal ($32K) drive.
A clean out would be good to have in line.
I wanted it deep enough since sometimes I'll drive a truck or tractor over the area.

If you have enough drop you can get it deeper. They just 45 it down, then slope it at the 1/8 per foot. I would want it 2 feet ish at least. How deep is your tank buried? From your drop and distance estimates, it seems like you could get it down deeper.

Reactions: ttazzman
1 - 20 of 53 Posts