Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a used tiller I'm interested in, and if I pull the trigger, I'll be buying blind and having it shipped to me. Seller says tines are worn some. How much life is left in these? Do they need replaced asap? Thanks!!!

How much are times, and how many for a 665?

Thanks!
Nate

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
The body of that unit looks fantastic.

The tines are worn, but if you're gonna use it like we do (4-6 times per year, couple hours at a time), those tines will outlive you.

I have no idea how many, or how much. Agri-supply website might be able to guide you on that.

If it's a decent price, that's a solid unit for ya.

-J.

Reactions: etcallhome and Levi

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Looks like it would be a good unit. The tines on my tiller look like that and they are far from needing to be replaced

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha. Thanks for input! Question is, is it worth $2k shipped to me? Be honest... I can handle it!!!

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
How bad are these tines??? Looking at used tiller and buying it blind. Please...

I'd say yes, especially if shipping is included. Tillers are expensive, but they haven't changed in about 40 years. My only comment is to ensure it's gear driven vs. chain. Also, make sure that the PTO shaft is included, that could be a 200$ touch alone.

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
770 Posts
Those tines look like ours do, after 2 seasons on them.
Maybe 150 hours approx. of tilling Sandy ground.

They are just starting to hook, and would have another 3-4 seasons on them for us, depending on when they break.
When one breaks, they all get swapped.

It's in great shape otherwise.

The best indicator of amount of use, are the skids. See if you can't get pics.
Skids get worn through after 200 hours or so, unless you weld sections of leaf spring over them in time.

Look for the skid thickness at point of contact. I'll bet they are hardly worn down.
If a guy was just churning up a garden 2-3 times a year, those tines should last forever.

2 grand for a Used light tiller?
There's a "New" 2003 60" GT60 woods over at Tractor house right now, for $1,600.
It's needing some cosmetic spiffing up from being outside, but the factory paint is still on the tines.

ETA.
Just noticed that the 665 is a chain drive unit with manual tensioner.
Not sure if you realized that or not.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
If it's chain drive, I'd be out.

-J.

Reactions: 636mullet

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
That unit doesn't appear to have a slipper clutch. It also looks like it's chain drive. If you want a John Deere tiller the price isn't terrible. Personally I'd drive to Tractor Supply and buy a Gear Drive unit from them for less than that. Plus it'd be brand new. John Deere stickers add a lot to the price of implements. When I bought my "Hawkline" 48" tiller it was $1300. The John Deere tiller was an extra thousand bucks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Kibble Equipment?!? I've been there! About an hour's drive from where I call home. The crew I custom harvested with buys their combines from there.

What is people's deal against chain drives? With regular maintenance, they will last just fine. We aren't trying to run a massive about of horsepower thru these little tillers. There are chain drives on much larger equipment and they stand up to abuse just fine.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Like others have said, if it is a chain drive and no slip clutch then I would say no. I got a price from my local JD dealer on a Taylor 84" tiller for my 5100E and it is gear driven, slip clutch and has the PTO shaft. The price of this unit brand new out the door was $2500. Just thought I would throw that out there

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Kibble Equipment?!? I've been there! About an hour's drive from where I call home. The crew I custom harvested with buys their combines from there.

What is people's deal against chain drives? With regular maintenance, they will last just fine. We aren't trying to run a massive about of horsepower thru these little tillers. There are chain drives on much larger equipment and they stand up to abuse just fine.
It's not that it wouldn't do just fine. The design isn't as sound as the gear drive units. Why would you pay more for less? If the Chain drive unit was cheaper it would make sense. Everyone here is free to buy what they want. There are lots of memebers that did just that and bought the JD tiller and have had great success with it. It's not that John Deere put it's name on a weak product. It's more about the total out of pocket investment and return on that money. It's pretty obvious that the JD tiller has resale value as the asking price is higher than what you can get a new tiller from a lot of Ag stores for, but it really doesn't add up to a lot of us. Plus most people aren't looking to buy a tiller and then sell it a year later. In this example the OP could buy a used tiller and have it shipped to him for $2k, or go to a store like TSC and buy a gear drive unit brand new for less money. He wouldn't have to deal with any previous issues or any wear on the tiller. Plus most all the tillers I've seen have a slipper clutch already installed. An additional cost of about $200 last time I bought one. So that should factor in as well. Does it look nice to have a matching tiller? Yes. Does John Deere have a great parts counter? In most cases yes. Is it worth paying more for a used JD than a new unit from TSC? That's up to each person looking to add a tiller to their toy box. So I don't believe anyone is bagging on the chain drive in the sense that it's a crap system, but more that it shouldn't cost more for a chain drive unit than a gear drive. Throw the lack of a slipper clutch on top of that and it's an easy call for me. I also understand some people want the logo so if you've got the :gizmo: go for it! It'll do a great job and look good doing it! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Id say King Kutter from TSC also.. If you want the JD look, King Kutter offers tillers in JD green now.. Like a $100 more I think..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info. I'm really mixed now!

I've looked at tsc ones and thought that the new ones didnt go deep at all. Perhaps I need to go back to the drawing board and do more research...

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
The "no name" tillers are solid. I think most of them are made in the same factory....

I have one that must be 35 years old, and it's fine.

-J.

Reactions: gbnpp05

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I'm really mixed now!

I've looked at tsc ones and thought that the new ones didnt go deep at all. Perhaps I need to go back to the drawing board and do more research...
OK, so on the KK tillers, you have the gear box on one end. IF you want to till to full depth, take the skid shoes off, and till so the gear box is in the tilled soil. They will dig to china..

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
If you get to China, will your garden grow for less money??

·
Registered
12,641 Posts
If you get to China, will your garden grow for less money??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUO
Always somebody wanting to create a little :drama: :lolol:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
How bad are these tines??? Looking at used tiller and buying it blind. Please...

Tee hee....!!!!

Reactions: 636mullet

·
Premium Member
15,052 Posts
I've had a chain drive for close to 10 yrs ,yet to have problem. My FIL chain drive tiller is close to 40 yrs old and works fine the tines are only 3/4 wide or less .
Personally I'd rather replace a chain or a few links in a chain than replace the gears on a gear drive. Always have used a slip clutch and never any trouble.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
770 Posts
OK, so on the KK tillers, you have the gear box on one end. IF you want to till to full depth, take the skid shoes off, and till so the gear box is in the tilled soil. They will dig to china..
It's better to drill a couple holes, and adjust the shoes down, so the gear box isn't the point of pressure on the soil..

You still get full depth, and don't have to deal with the gear box cover, getting peeled off on the leading corner, or the gasket getting chewed through.;)

Multiple passes will get things plenty deep, and avoids breaking things.:thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts