Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The John Deere 1025R weighs 2,095 lbs with a front-end loader and has approximately 25 engine horsepower.
A rule of thumb on pulled loads is the load should not exceed 1.5 times the amount of weight of the pulling vehicle. This means the 25 horsepower 1025R can handle a towed load of approximately 3,100 lbs. The 1025R is rated to lift 681 lbs on the rear three-point hitch.

So sure, the little tractor can pull a 3,000 pound trailer with a 600 pound tongue weight. Once you get the load moving, will you be able to steer it, and more importantly, stop it?

I do like the idea of adding an electric brake controller to the tractor, and wiring up a 7 pin trailer plug. But who besides me is anal enough to make that effort to move a trailer 50 feet?

Just saying that when you’re moving that big travel trailer down your sloped driveway with your 1025R I hope your last conscious thought isn’t ” s#!+ , this isn’t going too well.”

·
Registered
39 Posts
I move my trailer into a tight parking spot using my front end loader. My fork attachment has a 2" receiver in it. It's very strange, you have to forget everything normal about backing up a trailer. Once you do that, you can put it anywhere you want it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Facts or data to support the 1025R being incapable of moving any trailer of any size? 🤷‍♂️
That's not what I said. I said I wouldn't move a "travel" trailer of any size, not "any" trailer of any size.

• Love
Reactions: theduke

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
That's not what I said. I said I wouldn't move a "travel" trailer of any size, not "any" trailer of any size.
I'll be more specific in my wording. Facts or data to support the 1025R being incapable of moving any travel trailer of any size? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'll be more specific in my wording. Facts or data to support the 1025R being incapable of moving any travel trailer of any size? 🤷‍♂️
Again, you're putting words in my mouth. I said "I" wouldn't use a 1025R for moving travel trailers, especially heavy ones. But if you want to , go ahead. I would use a larger and heavier machine. The 1025R excels at a lot of tasks. Moving trailers with any kind of weight isn't one of them.I know this through experience. If I have trailers to move around, I grab the 5075E and have no worries.

• Love
Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn’t consider moving travel trailer with 1025R. I do move trailers/wagons about machine shed with concrete floor using 1025R on 3 pt and bucket receiver. While It has the power, it does not have the weight to safely steer or stop an empty trailer on the 3% grade to approaches at the doors. Don’t ask me how I know. 😂

·
Premium Member
13,021 Posts
Unless it was something the size of a pop-up camper, I wouldn't want to move a travel trailer with a small tractor because of sight lines.

Going forward, ok.

Backing up, you can't see anything but the front of the trailer. I'd want a ground guide or some reference that would allow me to know where it was going.

Again, the owners manual states how much you can tow with your tractor. It also lists the tongue weight. Keep in mind this is weight on the drawbar, which is where the tractor is designed to tow from. Extend the drawbar with a longer hitch, lower the weight.

If you tow from the 3 point hitch (I do, & it is handy to move somethings around), keep in mind the 3 point has no downforce. If something shifts the tongue weight, there is nothing stopping the 3 point from going up. (* caveat for those that read between the lines - unless you have chained down the 3 point)

When using a 3 point hitch to back a trailer be aware of the angle of the trailer tongue. If the tongue is too high, resistance or an obstacle like a rock can cause the 3 point to raise as well. (again the caveat that you haven't chained down the 3 point)

Another thing to keep in mind when towing from the 3 point or the FEL - neither of those tow points are meant to have a side load. Pushing / pulling straight are what they are meant to do, particularly the FEL. When you turn you are pulling or pushing to the side. Be careful of the side pressure created.

With a little common sense, a lot can be accomplished. We like to use our tractors for everything we can. Sometimes they just aren't the right tool.

·
Registered
2014 1025R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Unless it was something the size of a pop-up camper, I wouldn't want to move a travel trailer with a small tractor because of sight lines.
Explain this? How is this any different on a tractor vs. any other vehicle? Sight lines from a truck cab are generally terrible in reverse.

·
Administrator
21,945 Posts

·
Registered
2014 1025R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Probably the same crowd that says you need a dually to pull a zero turn.
Sorry, it reads snarky, but it wasn't snarky. I actually don't get it...I'll bet I get it when it's explained. It was as straight question.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Sorry, it reads snarky, but it wasn't snarky. I actually don't get it...I'll bet I get it when it's explained. It was as straight question.
It's really hard to see anything but the front of the trailer if you are backing up a travel trailer or enclosed trailer with a tractor without extended mirrors. You're sitting right in the middle in front of the hitch and pretty close to it too, if that makes sense.

Reactions: rtgt and Pigpen

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's been beaten to death, but I've used mine to pull my parents 5k lbs trailer many times around the yard and driveway. That probably has/had a 600lb tongue weight. We have a slight slope in the yard, but nothing crazy. More so, I frequently pull my utility trailer with 6000+ total weight in the same yard with no issues at all (loads of logs/wood). Low range, and slow is obviously warranted. Going straight down the hill is the part that brings the most danger in case it pushes the back-end around. I would take our small hill at an angle, but for the most part, if you can pull it uphill fine, you should be able to drive it downhill fine. Extra caution if it's wet or muddy out, but I'd have no issues with anything that the tractor can lift on flat ground.

I have videos of me using my old GT5000 on 4000lb trailers with 500lbs tongue weight though, so this tractor is WAY safer than that setup.

-

·
Premium Member
13,021 Posts
Explain this? How is this any different on a tractor vs. any other vehicle? Sight lines from a truck cab are generally terrible in reverse.
It's really hard to see anything but the front of the trailer if you are backing up a travel trailer or enclosed trailer with a tractor without extended mirrors. You're sitting right in the middle in front of the hitch and pretty close to it too, if that makes sense.
@trav beat me to it. (y)

Remember I said "small tractor". A 5 series with a cab and mirrors would be a different story.

No big.

Probably the same crowd that says you need a dually to pull a zero turn.
I prefer to use a lowboy for loads that size. :whistle:

·
Registered
655 Posts
@trav beat me to it. (y)

Remember I said "small tractor". A 5 series with a cab and mirrors would be a different story.

No big.

I prefer to use a lowboy for loads that size. :whistle:
Like this?
Mirror Sky Cloud Car Vehicle

·
Registered
655 Posts

·
Registered
John Deere (mostly)
184 Posts
Whatever you decide, ALWAYS hook up your safety chains !!!
I use a ball hitch on the end of my pallet forks 90% of the time
to move my trailers around, and there is NO FLAT GROUND around here.
Only happened once, off pavement, got to going too fast from the weigh pulling me,
but being on the FEL you can easily and quickly drop the hitch/tongue for extra braking.
I use my 1025R for tight spaces, my large tractors when I can.
ALWAYS use tractor in 4 wheel drive.....and make sure you have adequate ballast.
Go slow--be safe.
DO NOT forget the safety chains.

·
Registered
2014 1025R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Whatever you decide, ALWAYS hook up your safety chains !!!
I use a ball hitch on the end of my pallet forks 90% of the time
to move my trailers around, and there is NO FLAT GROUND around here.
Only happened once, off pavement, got to going too fast from the weigh pulling me,
but being on the FEL you can easily and quickly drop the hitch/tongue for extra braking.
I use my 1025R for tight spaces, my large tractors when I can.
ALWAYS use tractor in 4 wheel drive.....and make sure you have adequate ballast.
Go slow--be safe.
DO NOT forget the safety chains.
Where do the safety chains connect on the tractor? This is probably what I'd use, the Heavy Hitch tow receiver, if I do try this:

Automotive tire Bumper Camera accessory Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

I do see two small holes left and right, but they don't look large enough. I guess I could hang shackles off those to hook to?

My Titan ballast box definitely has no provisions, though I wouldn't move anything heavy with that:

Handle Product Rectangle Line Gas

21 - 39 of 39 Posts