Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering this for a while. I see these on the graders around the city in the winter. There sort of a "comb" edge.

I remember someone saying they loved using their rear landscape rake for snow.

Anyone ever see something like this for blades on our machines?

-J. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423000459.394753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You could always make one. :)

It wouldn't even take all that long with a drill press, a hole saw the diameter you wanted your teeth spaced, and a sawzall or maybe angle grinder with cut off wheel to cut out the teeth. I suppose you could even do it with a chop saw if you were careful (or didn't care how ugly it was). :tongue:

The other option is finding someone with a plasma table or going to a laser cutting facility. They're not overly expensive to have custom stuff made.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The cutting edge pictured on the grader is meant for cutting ice not general snow removal.

·
Registered
23,320 Posts
The cutting edge pictured on the grader is meant for cutting ice not general snow removal.
Yup - spent many a night in the grader scraping ice. Our local state highway dept (I worked there for years) has always been reactive instead of proactive but they are getting a little better. Many times they wouldn't let us go out in time before the ice pack formed on the roads. Then at night we would take the grader and make passes with a blade like that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Our county road comm has those. I call them groovers. The freeze thaw cycle creates a messy ice condition on the gravel roads. They run through with the groover to chew it up creat some traction. It also lets the salt work into the ice and seems to melt faster.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting.... These are the answers I was hoping for!!! I've l definitely learned my one thing for today....

-J.

·
Registered
23,320 Posts
We call it a serated ice blade.

If you have to use one, your life sucks. Lots of work. Using the blade and then changing the blades.
I've worked on ice on my driveway before but just put my tooth bar on my loader bucket. Don't get much penetration because of the light weight but at least I can rough it up some.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've worked on ice on my driveway before but just put my tooth bar on my loader bucket. Don't get much penetration because of the light weight but at least I can rough it up some.
I did the same with my tooth bar after a waterer overflow. Took a while, but was able to break it all up. There was some 5 gallon pail sized chunks, but it worked.

That hard packed snow/ice is hard to get rid of.

-J.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've been wondering this for a while. I see these on the graders around the city in the winter. There sort of a "comb" edge.

I remember someone saying they loved using their rear landscape rake for snow.

Anyone ever see something like this for blades on our machines?

-J. View attachment 39535

Bit off topic I like to use my landscape rake after i plow to make it look better I do not know if helps but is just old habit :unknown:

·
Registered
23,320 Posts
Bit off topic I like to use my landscape rake after i plow to make it look better I do not know if helps but is just old habit :unknown:
Nothing wrong with that - no different than striping your lawn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts