Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the JD multi-purpose lithium is suggested in the manual. I've typically always used these packs of 3-oz. cartridges available at most hardware stores, etc. paying absolutely no attention to what brand they are. I always have to wonder when a manufacturer recommends using only their brand-name products - in this case the oil, transaxle fluid, and so forth - as to how critical it really is. I have 10w-30 for the 590 (hasn't used any yet since I have it) - but it's not JD. Think it's Wolf brand.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i Have been using mobile products for years. As long as you use lubricants that meet manufactures specs you will be fine. I tend to stick with mobile just because some grease doesn’t mix well with other types. I’m not saying mobile is the best, just it’s worked fine for me and i don’t see any reason to use anything else.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked the greenpartstore website. I'm seeing this. It is a 14-oz. cartridge. That won't work since I have one of these mini-guns that holds a 3-oz. Looks like JD doesn't make a cartridge that small (?)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
As long as you use lubricants that meet manufactures specs you will be fine.
x2

I don't use enough for it to make it worth my while to do the research or for it to really make that much of a cost difference.

I use the recommended JD branded grease, oil, filters, etc. Makes it simple and worry free for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mobil XHP 222 is my preferred grease. It is a great universal product. I use it in all my outdoor equipment both summer and winter, it also is marine-grade so I can use it on the boats.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...now can anyone tell me what the part number is for the correct air filter for the x590? Been searching. This greenpartstore is quite honestly a bit frustrating in being able to find certain items. Then, so many items don't even include pictures. Mine probably doesn't need replacing anyway, but being so new at all this - having never owned a JD before - I'm just trying to at least get familiar with the specific part numbers.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I prefer the Deere Polyurea grease for most stuff thats not heavily loaded pins or bushings (those get the HD Moly), but its easy to get and I know it works.
As someone else mentioned, some greases dont mix well with others, so if you get one, and later switch, best be sure they are compatible.
The ones I use are, so I dont worry much about it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks...now can anyone tell me what the part number is for the correct air filter for the x590? Been searching. This greenpartstore is quite honestly a bit frustrating in being able to find certain items. Then, so many items don't even include pictures. Mine probably doesn't need replacing anyway, but being so new at all this - having never owned a JD before - I'm just trying to at least get familiar with the specific part numbers.
i go through JDparts to get part numbers. Then you can buy it from where ever you want to.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
I figure any grease is better than no grease. That said, I use JD's polyurea on everything. Repeatedly and often.

·
Registered
928 Posts
...grease compatibility is important most off the shelf auto parts stores grease is Lithium based and is a good multipurpose product .....grease color can be a hint as to its thickener type (google this).......the only place i will use grease with moly is on machine pins. like loader pins etc,

grease is basicly just a lubricant(oil) with a thickner agent.........so there are better greases based on the lubricant type .....the thickening agent is what is important to make sure is compatable IE (lithium, polyurea,Calcium etc)....there are Thickner compatability charts on the internet also but i tend to just try to stay with Lithium due to its universalness.... John deere branded greases are usually Lithium or Polyurea based so its good to read the label

·
Super Moderator
5,491 Posts
Three4rd Wolf's Head brand is a good product. Used to be owned by Pennzoil then became Amalie, which is in Florida. All good!:) As posted any brand grease is okay as long as it meets the same JD specs of course. Personally, I stay with JD products for everything because my dealer isn't that far of a drive (20 minute) for me.(y)

·
Premium Member
12,863 Posts
It was recommended by the service manager at my dealer, so I use JD Lithium HD on everything.

·
Premium Member
11,324 Posts
Dupe

·
Premium Member
11,324 Posts
It was recommended by the service manager at my dealer, so I use JD Lithium HD on everything.
Hmmm... based on a lot of the "dealer info" posts I read on here, that alone is perhaps reason enough not to use it. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
12,863 Posts
Hmmm... based on a lot of the "dealer info" posts I read on here, that alone is perhaps reason enough not to use it. :unsure:
I get that, but mine has never given me a reason not to trust them.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Any grease is better than none. As long as your greasing. If you feel your grease isn’t doing it’s job, get different grease, or grease more. We grease our heavy excavation equipment everyday. If you use it a lot, grease it more. As long as your getting grease to the friction parts and it’s not heating up so much that it dries it out, you’re good. When in doubt, grease it more. Just make sure your zerks are taking grease, your grease gun is working properly, and pump away. If you have doubts, put your hand on the joints after an hour of use and feel for excessive heat. That means too much friction, and no barrier. Check to make sure your actually getting grease all the way in and around all the moving parts. Grease it more if need be. Don’t assume because you pumped a desired amount of grease into a joint that it is getting adequate grease. Lots of shenanigans arise with greasing. Zerks go bad, gun tips suck, people don’t know how to prime their gun, and get frustrated rushing the grease job afterwards. Best time to grease is the moment you shut your machine down after a good day of running. The metal is warm, and accepts grease a lot easier than when everything is cold. Now I know there are some matrix drones hanging around this thread, so I await the dismantling of my post showing me the error of my ways

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,618 Posts
Just checked the greenpartstore website. I'm seeing this. It is a 14-oz. cartridge. That won't work since I have one of these mini-guns that holds a 3-oz. Looks like JD doesn't make a cartridge that small (?)
You either need more tractors or a bigger one.

·
Premium Member
11,324 Posts
You either need more tractors or a bigger one. View attachment 726412
You either need more tractors or a bigger one. View attachment 726412
I used to keep one of those small grease guns for my trailer bearings but I gave up on those 3 oz grease cartridges a long time ago. Not only is the grease selection very limited but you pay a big per ounce premium for those little cartridges. To make matters worse, it seems after only a few pumps the darn things are empty.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts