Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I usually park my work truck on the gravel but on occasion I will put it on my exposed aggregate concrete driveway. It’s got a jump tank on it and there’s always some residual fuel drops out of the bed from knuckleheads not emptying the hose when done fueling. I sometimes go through 600 gallons of fuel in a day on the job. Anyhoo I got some spots on my concrete and have tried super clean and 30 second cleaner and the darn stain is still there. Is there a specific chemical that will dissolve, loosen, or just help getting that stuff off my driveway?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Floor dry works for me. If that doesn't work I wonder if Poultice Plus would lift it? It has worked very well for me to lift stains, from spills, from my stone floors.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
I’m a fan of oil dry, ground in serveral times. With a porous surface I’ve found it works well for pulling oils out of the little trap spots.

If you do use a detergent, you’ll find they work much better with hot water.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Pressure washer set on kill

Reactions: keane and rtgt

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Perhaps Kbar could expand, but I believe the issue is the stone, in the exposed aggregate finish.

·
Premium Member
13,621 Posts
I like a combination of all of the above. Speedy dri first worked hard on the surface, then dawn dish soap and a pressure wash rinse.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I’m a fan of oil dry, ground in serveral times. With a porous surface I’ve found it works well for pulling oils out of the little trap spots.

If you do use a detergent, you’ll find they work much better with hot water.
intresting enough i have found dry powdered soil/dirt works better than floor dry (bentonite) for porus surfaces .....i keep floor dry in the shop....but when i sweep up dry ground up dirt from dirty tires across/on to a oil spot it works much better pulling it out of the concrete....i assume its because its very fine.....will have to try the cement mentioned or ag lime since its extremely fine sometime

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
intresting enough i have found dry powdered soil/dirt works better than floor dry (bentonite) for porus surfaces .....i keep floor dry in the shop....but when i sweep up dry ground up dirt from dirty tires across/on to a oil spot it works much better pulling it out of the concrete....i assume its because its very fine.....will have to try the cement mentioned or ag lime since its extremely fine sometime
It seems like if there is a volume of fluid, like a "spill" then the floor dry works well. When its drips or a stain which has been on the cement for some time, the finer dirt seems to work better at "grabbing it" off the surface.

Supposedly spraying the stain area with Isopropyl Alcohol will really help remove it. Plus, it kills viruses...........Or is the plural of virus, "vi-ri"?

:unsure:

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
That’s why it has to be ground in (crushed) If you just sweep it around it does leave quite a stain.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you want something along the lines of very fine, try diatomaceous earth. You can find that at Tractor Supply stores. Plus very cheap to boot.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’d take pics but it’s been raining the past few days. Basically looks like a couple dinner plate size wet spots when everything is dry.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I just bought some concrete cleaner on Amazon that's supposed to have microbes that eat the stains away. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, and my issue is hydraulic oil and not diesel. Might be worth a try.

LINK

·
Registered
517 Posts
Bleach. I’ve cleaned a lot of concrete floors with it and it works amazingly well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I keep a 5 gallon bucket filled with kitty litter nearby. The cheap stuff works best for me. My ATV has almost always dripped a small amount of fuel or oil. My tractor has had a bad wheel seal, a blown hydraulic line and I once overfilled the fuel tank, spilling diesel on the concrete. I scoop out some kitty litter on the fluid and sweep it up a day or two later. If I really want it clean, I use 409 or Mean Green and the pressure washer. I think there's always going to be a shadow under the ATV and tractor, but it won't come off on my knees or clothes if I'm laying under one of them working on it, after the pressure washer has done its job.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I raced stock cars down south while stationed in Milton, FL. My carport had to be cleaned of oil stains on a regular basis. What you want to use, and use with care, is muriatic acid, which can be bought at Home Depot. Have a hose ready, and avoid breathing the fumes which can kill you.

Reactions: KenLit and Kbar

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now were talkin. Thanks BOBL. I’m going to give that a try.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts