Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lifting items with lifting straps came up in another thread which got me to think (again). So, this is my new "Portable Generator". It weighs in excess of 360+ Lbs. I have a springtime project coming up and would rather not run 100 yards of extension cord and where the electricity is needed, nor would I desire to push it uphill from the barn. If you notice there is no "Lifting Hook" other then the cage that surrounds the unit.
Any suggestions or experience that would help me out would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,109 Posts
Lifting items with lifting straps came up in another thread which got me to think (again). So, this is my new "Portable Generator". It weighs in excess of 360+ Lbs. I have a springtime project coming up and would rather not run 100 yards of extension cord and where the electricity is needed, nor would I desire to push it uphill from the barn. If you notice there is no "Lifting Hook" other then the cage that surrounds the unit.
If you had forks I would suggest to fasten it to a pallet.

Without looking at it in a lot of detail, I would think you would want 2 lifting points to use lifting slings. Then you could dedicate a sling (or pair depending on the length) and have a stable way to lift. Is there anywhere you can attach 2 clevis to the frame that would stay put which you could run the sling through?

141214_2000x2000.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,216 Posts
Straps through the frame would probably work fine. If possible, you could go around the frame at the bottom instead of from the top.

I use my Carry-All and just load it on and strap it down but in the past I've also slid it sideways onto the bucket and strapped it to the bucket.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you had forks I would suggest to fasten it to a pallet.

Without looking at it in a lot of detail, I would think you would want 2 lifting points to use lifting slings. Then you could dedicate a sling (or pair depending on the length) and have a stable way to lift. Is there anywhere you can attach 2 clevis to the frame that would stay put which you could run the sling through?

View attachment 37934
That is pretty much my point. Where do I attach a strap or anything of that matter. Is the cage strong enough? I'm kinda thinking of two straps around the front and around the back at equal distance attached to Ken's hooks. Not sure if it will work or not without issue.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
That is pretty much my point. Where do I attach a strap or anything of that matter. Is the cage strong enough? I'm kinda thinking of two straps around the front and around the back at equal distance attached to Ken's hooks. Not sure if it will work or not without issue.
If your genny did have a lifting loop it would be welded to the frame, your good to go-IMHO. Strap on and lift away:lol:

ETA: that's one beefy genny... 15KWW and 50A! Mine is a Honeywell (Generac) 7.5KW and runs pretty much my whole house with a 30A dedicated bypass.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your genny did have a lifting loop it would be welded to the frame, your good to go-IMHO. Strap on and lift away:lol:

ETA: that's one beefy genny... 15KWW and 50A! Mine is a Honeywell (Generac) 7.5KW and runs pretty much my whole house with a 30A dedicated bypass.
Actually it's a 15KW with a 60A outlet. Didn't want to have the wife have to decide between blow drying "Her" Shizu or cook me supper. :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,814 Posts
Get yourself four of these straps and loop one around the frame at all four corners. Then you can attach to the straps with chains or lifting straps and it should provide secure lifting and minimize the risk of it tilting or twisting.

strap.jpg strap1.jpg

You would think the frame is strong enough. My Honda generator weighs close to 300 lbs. and it has a hook that only attaches at two places.

gen-hook.jpg

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get yourself four of these straps and loop one around the frame at all four corners. Then you can attach to the straps with chains or lifting straps and it should provide secure lifting and minimize the risk of it tilting or twisting.

View attachment 37941 View attachment 37944

You would think the frame is strong enough. My Honda generator weighs close to 300 lbs. and it has a hook that only attaches at two places.

View attachment 37943
Where do I get those straps at? Need to look into this a bit further.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I put mine in the bucket with the handle facing outward, then simply run a strap from side to side to my Ken's hooks to keep it from tipping out.

I have considered making my JD80 cart into a permanent generator hauler though.....

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I put mine in the bucket with the handle facing outward, then simply run a strap from side to side to my Ken's hooks to keep it from tipping out.

I have considered making my JD80 cart into a permanent generator hauler though.....
Wondered how long it would take for someone to say to put it in the bucket. There you go .

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
23,109 Posts

View attachment 37941 View attachment 37944

Those look like a good option for this and other things. What I was trying to figure out is a way that the slings or clevis (or these loops here) would stay put and not slide when lifting.

Without seeing the generator in person, I would think the frame would be strong enough to lift from.

·
Premium Member
12,814 Posts
Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Those look like a good option for this and other things. What I was trying to figure out is a way that the slings or clevis (or these loops here) would stay put and not slide when lifting.

Without seeing the generator in person, I would think the frame would be strong enough to lift from.
I've also lifted my cheapy Craftsman 6500W generator from the frame from (2) pts and no deflection in the frame at all. I'm positive that frame would be strong enough to lift from.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Premium Member
12,814 Posts

Attach them at the points shown below. They should stay in place as they have no where to go.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,917 Posts
^^^^ What he said. ^^^^^

Use straps at the corners directly across from each other. Forks are another great and obvious choice.:good2:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
You cant fool us.....just grab it by one of the handles and sling it up on your shoulder and go with it. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts