Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RC2048 sees pretty extreme duty cutting hunting lanes. I need to back over tall grass, saplings and the like a lot of the time. The deck and skirts of the RC2048 are 1/8"/11 gauge and I'd like to get a new rear skirt made out of 1/4"/3 gauge. When I start calling around to find a shop that might be able to bend one for me, what do I ask for? Is it still called a slip roller for 1/4" steel? Here's what it looks like

Rotary Cutter Rear Skirt.png

I have no idea what this might cost, hopefully less than a super heavy duty cutter. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Ask if they can roll a piece of 3ga plate to whatever radius that is above. That's about a $150 job if you ask me. Up here, in Michigan, Precision Laser would be who I'd call first.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Google metal fabrication in whatever area of GA you live in. Call a couple that look like they would be able to do the job. I would stay away from prototyping companies$$$

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Any fab shop with a set of rolls can roll the 1/4" bar stock. The trick is going to be the flange on the bottom. This piece will have to made separate and most likely welded to the radiused piece.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody...

I also thought about the flange on the bottom. If they could bend square tubing, it might serve the same purpose and make it even stronger...

Rotary Cutter Rear Skirt.png

Or something like this

Rotary Cutter Rear Skirt - 2.png

I've looked up several places and am going to send out email this afternoon. I don't want to get too crazy, but I'd rather put a little money in this one if I can beef it up since I just replaced the gear box.

·
RIP Ben
144 Posts
Gem City Steel

Don't know where you are located, but I've used these guys for some projects with good results.
WELCOME

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remember, when you strengthen something; it just means something else will break.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I hear that. The rear skirt is just so flimsy. It's quite a ruckus when it bends and the blade starts slamming into it...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Whats the price on the skirt? Maybe you order another and bolt them together. Or drill holes in one about every three inches, overlay on the first then weld the edges and spot weld through the holes.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Whats the price on the skirt? Maybe you order another and bolt them together. Or drill holes in one about every three inches, overlay on the first then weld the edges and spot weld through the holes.
As I've been looking into this more, looks like the rear chains (which I don't have) act as a bumper. This would do pretty much what I want and be bolt on/bolt off.

I'm going to see if I can purchase the rear chain getup, or make something similar on my own as well as double up on the current rear skirt.

Rotary-Mowers-FRONTIER-RC2048-8954867.jpg

Trying to figure out pricing on Frontier parts is always joy... Looks like it's about $150.00 + Shipping, maybe $40.00 (TIFC711130). I don't really need the chains, just the bumper, so now I have a "budget" of $190, or under to roll my own, get a bumper and still beef up the rear skirt.

Or I can get the rear chain guard for the RC2060 for $95.08 + $25.81 shipping (5TIFC711255). Don't get why the bigger one is cheaper. This is tough to do without pics of the actual parts that you are ordering.

·
Registered
472 Posts
As I've been looking into this more, looks like the rear chains (which I don't have) act as a bumper. This would do pretty much what I want and be bolt on/bolt off.

I'm going to see if I can purchase the rear chain getup, or make something similar on my own as well as double up on the current rear skirt.

View attachment 440186

Trying to figure out pricing on Frontier parts is always joy... Looks like it's about $150.00 + Shipping, maybe $40.00 (TIFC711130). I don't really need the chains, just the bumper, so now I have a "budget" of $190, or under to roll my own, get a bumper and still beef up the rear skirt.

Or I can get the rear chain guard for the RC2060 for $95.08 + $25.81 shipping (5TIFC711255). Don't get why the bigger one is cheaper. This is tough to do without pics of the actual parts that you are ordering.
I would totally tackle building that if the price of the parts/supplies were significantly less expensive than the OEM parts. Its a pretty simple build but would be cheaper to build if one were making them en mass. I am thinking that the OEM will be as cheap or cheaper than you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Just to let you know that the rear chain assembly is not very strong as it is made out of pretty thin material. I put a bend mine the first time out, and I'm sure how I even did it. But it was easy enough to bend back into place :laugh:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Do you have a cut off wheel and welder? Bonus points for ao with rosebud. If it was me and this saw significant use I'd just start welding the plate on and heat and tack as I go around the back. Once tacked on mark where you want the discharge and cut it out. All you have left if the trim. Could use round bar and seam weld it so the grass can't collect there.

Brett

1 - 15 of 15 Posts