Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the steering wheel on my 2210 to access the dash lights & switches.

I removed the nut but there is no way to attach a wheel puller that I can see. It it supposed to just pull off? I couldn't do it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I would first try soaking it with PB Blaster overnight. If that didn't work I would bring the nut up flush with end of the steering wheel's rod and vibrate the end of the rod with an airchisel/hammer tool. get.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Just from looking at JDParts it appears it is a press fit taper. I removed the steering wheel on my 2520 and it this this same type of joint. You are going to have to be creative on getting that puller on the wheel (not easily done). I used a fairly large puller. I know it needed the puller to free it. It released with quite a pop, and that was when the tractor was only a month or two old. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
I think on my old 650 the steering wheel was on a tapered spline. I had to remove the steering wheel one time. I backed the nut off until it was flush with the top of the spline threads, had a friend pull up on the steering wheel as I hit the spline nut with a hammer, came right off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it!

I sandwiched the puller between two pieces of 3/4" plywood. I had to double up the plywood on the underside because I had to cut a slot to go around the steering column. DSCN0489.JPG

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I recently removed the steering wheel on my 2210. Soak it with PB Blaster and then GENTLY tap each spoke with a small rubber hammer. If that does not work, get a bigger hammer. :nunu: It popped right off when I smacked the third spoke.

Anti-Seize the spline shaft in case you ever have to remove it again.

TM2074 Procedure for Steering Wheel Removal and Installation
Removal:
1. Remove steering wheel center cap.
2. Remove lock nut.
3. Remove steering wheel. If necessary, use a suitable
puller.

The definition of "A suitable puller" :question: is one that you do not own and have no clue what to try.

On the P.I.T.A. scale of 1 to 10, I rate this a 2.

:cheers:

Got Deeres

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Very good thinking, glad you had success. Keep us up to date on your repair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turned out that the turn signal switch was bad and screwing up the other lights. I'll have to remove it again when the turn signal switch comes in. I greased it up good so it should come right off next time.

·
Administrator
17,253 Posts
It turned out that the turn signal switch was bad and screwing up the other lights. I'll have to remove it again when the turn signal switch comes in. I greased it up good so it should come right off next time.
Do you store the tractor outside? Thats the only time I have ever heard them go bad, they are not sealed well I guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you store the tractor outside? Thats the only time I have ever heard them go bad, they are not sealed well I guess.
No, but I did wash it with a hose a couple of days earlier. However, I don't think that was the problem, the plastic in the switch was broken letting the spring contacts get loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts