Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live on a acreage, not really urban, but not really rural either. My neighbor puts out corn for the wild turkeys that roam this area, but it is in a small feeder almost at ground level. The other day, I saw a Mallard hen and an drake swoop in and partake of the corn. I have seen them several times since; and recently a couple of geese landed and did the same thing. I am still amazed; how do they know that there are goodies in that one little area about one yard square? Any thoughts?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
:munch:

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
The same way songbirds manage to find that lone bird feeder in a neighborhood in the middle of winter I guess. :dunno:

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
Reminds me of the Hummingbirds since our first one was back on Monday. I find it amazing that they can fly such a distance - even across the Gulf of Mexico - and come to the same exact place each spring. We have 3 regulars that are here every year.

neotrop_gulf.jpg

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Fowl idea

All birds but especially waterfowl are acutely aware of what appears to be a feeding area. The species doesn't matter as long as it's uses similar foods so ducks look for geese, swans etc. I would suspect the geese found the food first and the ducks homed in on the geese.

That's one reason that moving/splashing decoys are so effective. That movement shouts, "Chow time" to waterfowl.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I read on twitter that they tweet this information to each other! :hide:

I observed the same thing with the cracked corn my neighbor puts out. It seems the crows notice it first and they make such a racket that other birds notice and join in. So I guess the info does get "tweeted" throughout the bird population.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
All birds but especially waterfowl are acutely aware of what appears to be a feeding area. The species doesn't matter as long as it's uses similar foods so ducks look for geese, swans etc. I would suspect the geese found the food first and the ducks homed in on the geese.

that's one reason that moving/splashing decoys are so effective. That movement shouts, "Chow time" to waterfowl.
Treefarmer
Then BLAM goes the 12 gauge! There's a lot of unexplained things in this world and that's why it's so darned interesting. Maybe a call to cliff clavin can settle this? I don't have his number though... But I bet Pappa Haskell does after he finds his beer...

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts

I observed the same thing with the cracked corn my neighbor puts out. It seems the crows notice it first and they make such a racket that other birds notice and join in. So I guess the info does get "tweeted" throughout the bird population.
My father in law used to call the crows the "undertakers"!!! They keep the roads cleaned of dead squirrels or anything else that's dead!

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
We live on a acreage, not really urban, but not really rural either. My neighbor puts out corn for the wild turkeys that roam this area, but it is in a small feeder almost at ground level. The other day, I saw a Mallard hen and an drake swoop in and partake of the corn. I have seen them several times since; and recently a couple of geese landed and did the same thing. I am still amazed; how do they know that there are goodies in that one little area about one yard square? Any thoughts?
The animals use an "APP" on their smartphones called "Fowl List", kinda like Craiglist but for the animal kingdom. They have a whole range of things like "great Landing places" and "favorite feed spots" and of course, they have a section called "Fowl Play" where the various animals have personal ads, and I will leave it at that.........

The reason it is called "Fowl List", but is used by all animals is because a Chicken, who desires to remain anonymous, created the program and prefers to not have to split the ad revenue or other monetized benefits with their human owner.......

It's something they keep real quiet.........:lol:

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
Also, just FYI, animals HATE Twitter because the company refuses to pay the royalties to the birds for the use of their image in the Twitter trademarked logo and also, the animals won't use Twitter because the KarTRASHian family are on Twitter and the animals don't mingle with substandard species.......

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Then BLAM goes the 12 gauge! There's a lot of unexplained things in this world and that's why it's so darned interesting. Maybe a call to cliff clavin can settle this? I don't have his number though... But I bet Pappa Haskell does after he finds his beer...
Cliff has an unlisted phone number but his buddy and good friend of mineNORMauthor of "it's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear" has it. I'll have NORM pm you Cliff's #:laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts

For animals, crack corn is an entry level drug.........it's a gateway drug, it leads to harder things like sunflower seeds and then even to the stuff brought in from Mexico by the Cartel's........

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot fellows; after 16 years in Scientific Industrial Research, reading these responses caused me to soil myself at least twice. I'm buying off on the "tweet" hypothesis; I'm sure birds communicate in many ways. I never thought about them observing other birds feeding there, which they do in droves sometimes, so that would be a visual signal that cannot be denied. I know that you can put out a bird feeder and in no time at all, some little bird will find it and all his buddies will be there. I think I feed probably 100 to 150 pounds of bird seed a year, just for the pleasure of watching them engorge themselves and the thrill of cleaning their "thank you" off the deck and patio. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Thanks a lot fellows; after 16 years in Scientific Industrial Research, reading these responses caused me to soil myself at least twice. I'm buying off on the "tweet" hypothesis; I'm sure birds communicate in many ways. I never thought about them observing other birds feeding there, which they do in droves sometimes, so that would be a visual signal that cannot be denied. I know that you can put out a bird feeder and in no time at all, some little bird will find it and all his buddies will be there. I think I feed probably 100 to 150 pounds of bird seed a year, just for the pleasure of watching them engorge themselves and the thrill of cleaning their "thank you" off the deck and patio. :bigthumb:
Well I had to laugh at this post 2lane about soiling yourself.. it is Funny and I don't know if this thread was supposed to go there,, but...,
To end; this is why Gizmos buddies; the aliens, put cats on this planet! :laugh:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

according to twitter, 99.9999* percent of stuff you read on twitter is false!:lolol:

all kidding aside, those birds are amazing.

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts

Oh, just because you have a life of practical experience and 16 years of Scientific Industrial Research, you won't buy the "Fowl List" and animal smart phone concept? :lol:

Some people never thought a pig could herd sheep either and laughed at poor old Babe. But he proved them wrong with farmer Huggett.

"That'll do Pig. That'll do."

Animals do despise the KarTRASHian's and feel they are a substandard species. They told me so...........:dunno:

From November to April, we feed the birds with 6 different bird feeders in our area in our back yard. I have a plastic garbage can with the snap on lid in the garage and I blend 120# of Cherry Blossom Bird seed with 25# of cracked corn and 25# of sunflower seeds throughout the winter. They eat between 15# to as much as 20# of bird seed mix everyday. It's not cheap, but we enjoy it.

Mrs. Bear really enjoys watching the critters and she sincerely worries about the animals being hungry. When I go out to fill the feeders in the winter, you can hear the birds starting to call all of the others and every type shows up from tiny little sparrows to crows and hawks. The feed also attracts the raccoons, squirrels, possum and rabbits and then coyote. I guess it's the circle of life. Mrs Bear demands I feed them so they won't eat each other.......or at least hopefully reduce the occurrence. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
according to twitter, 99.9999* percent of stuff you read on twitter is false!:lolol:

all kidding aside, those birds are amazing.
Here is a famous quote from the Internet;

"""It's crucial that people verify the facts and determine the accuracy of the information they read on the Internet. Al Gore had no idea just how big this entire thing would become when he invented it. Without it, my time as President would have been dramatically different. Trust, but confirm, this country's future depends upon it."""
Abraham Lincoln

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
:lolol:2lane cruzer--friend u made my day, i laughed so damn hard, i thought i split a gut:lol: this has been a interesting thread, all about how the birds tells others, hey-come on over here, a big feast at this place:yahoo: it's the animal kingdom, it all falls back to the fella that started it--I believe---now u might think else wise.:laugh:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,732 Posts
I buy a 40 lb. bag of cat chow every 2 weeks for the outside cats(3).
2 males, Black Bart and Barry White (guess their colors :lol:) and Miss Kitty the female calico.
Half of it is probably scarfed down by the birds and squirrels during the day and by the raccoons and opossums at night.
Even had a deer or two sneak in at night, Cat Chow must be some good "all around" stuff.:lol:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts