Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
So, I'm sportin a 7 3/4-XL hat size. All of the "one size" hats are too small. I'm looking for full brim sun shade hats. I've ordered a couple off of Amazon that are XL and they are OK. What's a good source for hats that aren't $100?
Try this place. Last season clearance stuff.

www.sierratradingpost.com

Or go to your local military surplus store - plenty of desert covers there. That's what I use.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts

·
Administrator
17,973 Posts
My noggin is pretty small at 6-7/8", probably because there is such little useful info inside :lol:

Here's me in my "goin' out" hat on my daughters 21st birthday last month:

image.jpeg

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
My noggin is pretty small at 6-7/8", probably because there is such little useful info inside :lol:

Here's me in my "goin' out" hat on my daughters 21st birthday last month:

View attachment 195313
Kenny... You better start meeting the boyfriends at the door with the old shotgun, she's pretty dang cute.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
We have a wide selection to choose from where I came from.

images-2.jpeg
images-1.jpeg

Hand made and custom fit. Which would you like to order?

Just write a letter to :

Amos Stolzfus
PO Box 141
Lancaster , PA 17601

Delivery in 6-12 weeks. They like to throw in a pint of chow-chow on every order.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just ordered the top version from someplace yesterday!

We have a wide selection to choose from where I came from.

View attachment 195321
View attachment 195329

Hand made and custom fit. Which would you like to order?

Just write a letter to :

Amos Stolzfus
PO Box 141
Lancaster , PA 17601

Delivery in 6-12 weeks. They like to throw in a pint of chow-chow on every order.
I'm a SoCal - so that means I'm generally sporting some type of Baja Fishing lid or wide-brim lifeguard straw hat. Both are pretty much unavailable in Northern Maryland.... so I went local with contestant number one, above.

Should be here in a few days. Pretty fired up to be sporting the local cover.

:)

-Ken

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,680 Posts
Try this place. Last season clearance stuff.

Sierra Trading Post - We Are All Explorers.

Or go to your local military surplus store - plenty of desert covers there. That's what I use.
I used to go to sierra trading post, but now they seem to have become REI lite...:banghead:
I'll hit up the local Jax for a military style booney, but cowboy hats are what I seem to where the most. Just a basic straw hat for working around outside.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
I just can't stand to wear a hat - along with jewelry, watches, belts, or anything in my pockets. I guess if I were in the direct sunlight more I might wear a hat but don't get much of that here in the Big Woods.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I just can't stand to wear a hat - along with jewelry, watches, belts, or anything in my pockets. I guess if I were in the direct sunlight more I might wear a hat but don't get much of that here in the Big Woods.
Stan, I am finding that you and I are more and more a like everyday. I hate hats, but have to wear them. I hate jewelry and watches, don't wear them. I take things out of my pockets every chance I get. Oh, did I mention cell phones, have no need for them. I also, like spending large amounts of time in my shop alone, parallels your no neighbor issues.

Now, back to the your regularly programed thread topic. :hi:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I used to go to sierra trading post, but now they seem to have become REI lite...:banghead:
I'll hit up the local Jax for a military style booney, but cowboy hats are what I seem to where the most. Just a basic straw hat for working around outside.
I like the military booney because I can soak it with the hose - flip upside down and pump into the "well" and it soaks in the water pretty well. Put back on and BAM!!!!!! Poor man's open tractor air conditioning.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
Going outside without a cap seems like I'm missing something.
Around here the ball caps are like a fetish with most guys it seems. I had to ask some that I worked with if they took them off when they take a shower and go to bed.......

But I understand your point - habit from being in the military.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the input. I have to wear a hat outside. As I get older, there just isn't enough hair to cover the top of my head. I'm susceptible to sun poisoning, so getting burnt isn't just uncomfortable enough by itself, I get violently ill on top of it.

This one came yesterday, it fits, but the jury is still out on the neck thing. Seems kind of hot so far.

20160614_125835.jpg

Going to order a couple more from the suggestions here.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Thanks for all of the input. I have to wear a hat outside. As I get older, there just isn't enough hair to cover the top of my head. I'm susceptible to sun poisoning, so getting burnt isn't just uncomfortable enough by itself, I get violently ill on top of it.

This one came yesterday, it fits, but the jury is still out on the neck thing. Seems kind of hot so far.

View attachment 195697

Going to order a couple more from the suggestions here.
Will it take water? I'd just keep that neck part soaked down with cold water and that should do the job nicely (assuming things aren't too dusty where then you'd just have a muddy hat.)

That looks a lot heavier (hat-wise) than a regular booney style.

If you need to protect your neck/face - I'd also suggest something that I use off-shore for fishing a lot called a Buff. Again - you can soak them in cool water and get a nice cooling effect.

Mens Sun Protection | Buff® USA Official Site

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Jason (DieselShadow) has a hat that I like. It has a full brim all the way around to keep the sun off your neck, but the sides of the crown are mesh so it breathes as well. I believe it's made of oilskin, perhaps he could share a few more details?

My full felt hat is perfectly comfortable most days, but down in that southern humidity I ended up wearing a ball cap quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts