Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a relatively young guy in this crowd, I've discovered a new problem some of you 'more experienced' guys might be able to help me out with.

I've got some digestive issues and my doc has decided to put me on a daily dose of saw dust to see if it helps. The stuff doesn't seem to make a negative impact on the flavor of the "juice" I was instructed to mix it with, but it doesn't seem to agree with my Mango Nectar (which probably has a bunch of fiber in it already). It glued itself to the spoon when I inserted it into the floating island of saw dust to stir, then wouldn't come off. :banghead: It also had a blob of stuff in the bottom of the glass despite being heavily stirred. :dunno:

I had it with some thinner juice (apple raspberry), but I'm not all that fond of that stuff with the additional saw dust texture.

My dad puts it in orange juice, but we don't typically have that since I like mine sweeter than the typical store offerings (or with Vodka and I'm not sure my doc would approve of that combo) and kiddo won't drink it anyway.

How do you guys do it?

·
Registered
825 Posts
As a relatively young guy in this crowd, I've discovered a new problem some of you 'more experienced' guys might be able to help me out with.

I've got some digestive issues and my doc has decided to put me on a daily dose of saw dust to see if it helps. The stuff doesn't seem to make a negative impact on the flavor of the "juice" I was instructed to mix it with, but it doesn't seem to agree with my Mango Nectar (which probably has a bunch of fiber in it already). It glued itself to the spoon when I inserted it into the floating island of saw dust to stir, then wouldn't come off. :banghead: It also had a blob of stuff in the bottom of the glass despite being heavily stirred. :dunno:

I had it with some thinner juice (apple raspberry), but I'm not all that fond of that stuff with the additional saw dust texture.

My dad puts it in orange juice, but we don't typically have that since I like mine sweeter than the typical store offerings (or with Vodka and I'm not sure my doc would approve of that combo) and kiddo won't drink it anyway.

How do you guys do it?
You might consider ditching the supplement and add insoluble fiber to your diet rather than drinking juice from a fruit stripped of the fiber and adding a heavy fiber back in. Mango Nectar carbs are all sugar, no fiber.

3025e

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Good luck with your test.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I unfortunately have to do the same. This is the stuff that I use. Now for the mixing instructions.
1. Fill a tall dry glass 1/2 full of cold water.
2. Take a dry long teaspoon & dump in 2 scoops of powder (not heaping). Let spoon in glass after dumping in last scoop.
3. Shake up your favorite orange juice (Simply Orange). Fill glass the rest of the way with juce.
4. Mix it up good. This is where the long spoon pays off. You can reach the bottom of the glass without your fingers in the mixture.
5. Let mixture steep/sit for about 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
6. Start enjoying (yea right). Keep stirring in between drinks.

If you end up needing more fiber. Try eating these gummies. In addition to the juce mixture.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
Jim Timber, I don't have and issue yet but would highly recommend on of these...

hero-ninja-blender-system-with-auto-iq-BL682.png

I do a shake/smoothie 6 mornings a week for breakfast and if working hard I do one for lunch.

A Little Skim Milk
Wheat Germ
Milled Flaxseed
Two Ice Cubes
A Handful of Frozen Mixed Fruit
Half of a Fresh Banana
Half of a Fresh Apple
Scoop of Whey Protein
Add a Little Cold Water

Mix and Drink!

You need to hide the taste and or consistency.
I think you could throw the kitchen sink in and it would taste fine.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I take my allergy and hypertension pills first thing in the morning, and the saw dust says to wait two hours for meds because it'll screw up absorption.

Making fruit smoothies is more work than getting the cake off the spoon. :laugh:

In the army we had to chug (2) 8oz glasses of water prior to every meal in BCT. That's my current technique for this stuff. I just want to mix it and make it go down ASAP to be done with it.

I wonder how much it'd screw up chocolate chip cookies? cogitating.gif

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I take my allergy and hypertension pills first thing in the morning, and the saw dust says to wait two hours for meds because it'll screw up absorption.

Making fruit smoothies is more work than getting the cake off the spoon. :laugh:

In the army we had to chug (2) 8oz glasses of water prior to every meal in BCT. That's my current technique for this stuff. I just want to mix it and make it go down ASAP to be done with it.

I wonder how much it'd screw up chocolate chip cookies? View attachment 391017
I take my pills with breakfast. Then usually wait an hour at least before mixing up the gack. If I wait to long I'll forget like today. Unfortunately you have to let the mixture sit a little bit for the power to absorb the liquid. If you wait to long it starts going warm. Then it's even more nasty.
Just follow my mixing instructions to the letter. It's a solid system. lol

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I used to take fiber (Metamucil?) every day. I really should start doing it again, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Back when I was doing it on a regular basis, I bought cases of small (8 or 10 oz) water bottles. I'd take one of those bottles, drink a little bit out of it, dump the fiber in (using the top of another bottle that i'd cut off to make a funnel), shake it up real well, chug it down and then pitch the empty bottle. That saved me having to try and wash that stuff off any spoon! :good2:

·
Premium Member
14,089 Posts
I've been taking Metamucil for close to 20 yrs. For me I've found two things over the years,

1 I've tried the store brands and just never satisfied with taste or the mixing .

2 After mixing drink it now,,don't leave it set or you're have a thick paste to drink...Not good

I put the water in a glass , then put the powder in the glass , and then stir. This doesn't happen every day , but every once in a while I will still have a little powder still on the spoon after stirring.

As I said I've always used water, mom or my younger brother used orange juice. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been adding the saw dust to the juice, since I've been a fan of hot chocolate most of my known life and you can't add liquid to powder and not trap some on the bottom of the cup.

Today I tried letting the mass settle and hydrate for a bit prior to stirring and that worked better. A bit of shaking prior to the lump succumbing to gravity produced minimal difficulty in breaking it up into solution with no residue glued to the spoon or glass. I think we have a winner. This was with the apple raspberry, not the mango nectar.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
this fiber stuff is a sore subject with me:laugh: i take them gummy bears some days, eat lots of prunes for other reasons, and some days that metamucil stuff, i mix mine into a glass with half filled with ice cubes, dump in the amount-and stir, stir some more, it doesn't taste too bad that way for me. just a vicious cycle every day.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm somewhat of a food snob (in case that's not obvious yet :lol: ) and this stuff's flavor isn't objectionable (which is a relief, and a bit of a surprise for that matter) - I just can't get over the semi-floating grit in my beverage. It is sweetened. I can tell you the product if you care. It has some grainy grass photo on the bottle. Now I'm not against grains, but I like them in flour consistency preferably baked into something; not floating in my juice. :tongue:

I can go for granola bars as well, but they got rid of the ones I liked at Costco and the Kirkland ones aren't soft and chewy like the Quaker ones were.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,406 Posts
I take 2 CITRUCEL pills a day, they recommend you drink at least 8 oz. of water with them.

The doctor put me on the Citrucel power maybe 25 years ago, that stuff was some awful tasting, but it worked.

When they came out with the pills, I switched to them, they work just as good with me. :yahoo:

I had got to the point with the powder stuff after a couple of years where I'd slam the counter every morning
with my fist, that orange tasting stuff was just revolting.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dad has been using Metamucil for as long as I can remember and he had a love/hate relation to it (probably still does). I was forced to try it in my early years and remember it as a vile experience (maybe that's the root of my current aversion?).

The stuff I'm taking is: https://www.konsyl.com/products/formula-d and as I've mentioned, the flavor doesn't bother me (it's kinda sweet). It just needs another pass through the mill. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I've been adding the saw dust to the juice, since I've been a fan of hot chocolate most of my known life and you can't add liquid to powder and not trap some on the bottom of the cup.

Today I tried letting the mass settle and hydrate for a bit prior to stirring and that worked better. A bit of shaking prior to the lump succumbing to gravity produced minimal difficulty in breaking it up into solution with no residue glued to the spoon or glass. I think we have a winner. This was with the apple raspberry, not the mango nectar.
Try
Fill the glass 1/2 with liquid
Add sawdust
Add the other 1/2
Stir immediately
Then let it sit about 5 minutes stirring occasionally
Enjoy (yea right)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Same company that makes the nasty powder also makes wafers. They come in various flavors but the best IMO is apple cinnamon. Spread it with a tablespoon of peanut butter and it makes a good snack that's much less painful than drinking sludge. There are 5 grams of fiber in the wafers vs 7.5 in the powder. So, you need 1 1/2 servings of the wafers. Honestly, they remind me of graham crackers. And PB makes everything better.

Also, not to second guess your MD but:
1. Be sure you're drinking sufficient water daily.
2. MANY meds (even BP meds) can cause the issue. I switched my BP meds several times for that reason. My sweet primary is awfully patient with my absolute intolerance of inconvenience and crazy drug prejudices.
3. The old apple-a-day adage is a good one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The lovely (and I'm not being snide) doc at colon/rectal bumped me up to 2x glasses a day. I've discovered Hawaiian Punch works good to dissolve it and make the process less objectionable. I'm sure when the Mrs. returns from their China trip I'll get lectured about how Koolaid is cheaper, but I've got a few more days before I have to debate that with her. :mocking:

My ear/nose/throat Doc discovered I've had a chronic low grade sinus infection for some unknown duration (he thinks it's been going on a long time) and put me on the biggest penicillin pills they make (feels like it anyway) 2x a day for the next 2 weeks, so everything's sliding through now. :gaah: I've been ordered to eat yogurt to try to keep some bacteria in my gut for the duration. I thought my lymph nodes were sore, but it's actually my saliva glands.

Every morning feels like I'm loading a Pez dispenser, only it's my head that's getting filled up.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The lovely (and I'm not being snide) doc at colon/rectal bumped me up to 2x glasses a day. I've discovered Hawaiian Punch works good to dissolve it and make the process less objectionable. I'm sure when the Mrs. returns from their China trip I'll get lectured about how Koolaid is cheaper, but I've got a few more days before I have to debate that with her. :mocking:

My ear/nose/throat Doc discovered I've had a chronic low grade sinus infection for some unknown duration (he thinks it's been going on a long time) and put me on the biggest penicillin pills they make (feels like it anyway) 2x a day for the next 2 weeks, so everything's sliding through now. :gaah: I've been ordered to eat yogurt to try to keep some bacteria in my gut for the duration. I thought my lymph nodes were sore, but it's actually my saliva glands.

Every morning feels like I'm loading a Pez dispenser, only it's my head that's getting filled up.
Hawaiian Punch I didn't know that they still made the stuff. Does it still come in a can? lol

If your wife wants you to keep drinking the stuff (I assume that she does) she will let you spring for the good stuff. I can't imagine it's a big price difference between the two.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts