Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut with my 54" deck on my 1023 for the 1st time last weekend.. Loved the cut, hated the clean up.. Any tips on how to get at the underside of the deck to give it a good scraping?.. I can't imagine flipping it upside down is a good idea. Plus like most of us on here I'm sure. I'm one of those loons who couldn't bare the thought of scratching that pretty green paint (ha!).. I can't think of a good way to do it that wouldn't be a giant PIA every time I use the mower.. Anyone come up with a simple way to get at the bottom of the deck for cleaning?..

·
Registered
937 Posts
I cut with my 54" deck on my 1023 for the 1st time last weekend.. Loved the cut, hated the clean up.. Any tips on how to get at the underside of the deck to give it a good scraping?.. I can't imagine flipping it upside down is a good idea. Plus like most of us on here I'm sure. I'm one of those loons who couldn't bare the thought of scratching that pretty green paint (ha!).. I can't think of a good way to do it that wouldn't be a giant PIA every time I use the mower.. Anyone come up with a simple way to get at the bottom of the deck for cleaning?..
I don't have any pictures on my phone, but I would bet that there will be some coming in. I'll give you a hint, what seems as one of the best ways to get at the under side of the deck involves the use of Kens Bolt on Hooks. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
I run up on a pair of car ramps and scrape it with a plastic putty knife. I don't take the deck off each time to clean it. I like to think of myself as "time frugal" and not lazy. The JD yellow paint is long since gone on my 445 deck and there is no weakness or unusal wear on the deck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't you have a drive on deck? How bout the loader? It only takes me a few minutes to disconnect mine and lift it up with the loader to scrape it.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I used compressed air to clean the bulk of the clipping stat stick after each use. Maybe once twice a season I'll take the deck off and scrape with a plastic putty knife and wash the bottom.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
This is one of the reasons I love my rear mount finish mower....

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is one of the reasons I love my rear mount finish mower....
believe me rtgt, I had that thought when I was cleaning it!.. Would the love the rear mount unit but I have to many tight areas to get in and around that I don't think I could do efficiently without the mid mount. As pruav posted above, I do have the loader and I suppose it would be fairly effective to just lift one end of the deck with it and scrape away.. But in terms of an "easy" clean up solution, I don't want to have to connect the loader every time I mow to do it.. I pretty much clean up the deck after every cut.. Always have but never one this big and heavy.. I usually have to cut before noon and that means dewy wet grass most of the time.. I hate putting the deck away like that.. Its not good for it and I really don't like the smell in the shop after even a few hrs let alone days of wet grass caked to the deck.. Its a big heavy thing so I didn't really figure there was a magic bullet solution.. Just wondered if anyone had ever come up with trick.. Milharri.. You peaked my curiosity (ha!).. What do you do with your deck that involves ken's hooks?.. Thanks for the input fellas!..

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts

I use a power washer and it cleans up pretty quickly if you do it right after you mow. If it sits and dries it takes way longer to clean. Once done I give the spindles a shot of grease and reinstall mower for storage.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Why scrape? Lift the entire front of the tractor with the 2 ton engine lift and power wash the mower deck. Simple fast and easy. The only nasty part is the big piles of soggy grass clumps to pick up. Bringing every thing out and putting it away takes longer than the actual task.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just wait till the end of the season and hit it with a putty knife and power washer. Why do it each time?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
So far DRobinson's ramps are the easiest idea so far. (IMHO)

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just wait till the end of the season and hit it with a putty knife and power washer. Why do it each time?

I do it every time because more times than not I have to cut the grass early enough in the day that its pretty dewy and wet.. Just don't like leaving wet grass caked to the deck.. Beyond that.. My shop where I keep the machine reeks of wet rotting grass if I leave it.. Its not just a place where I store the machine and a few other toys.. Its a place where I often spend time with friends and hang out doing other things as well.. To that end, I suppose I've brought this hassle on myself, but until this big bugger I didn't really consider it a hassle.. Its just always been part of my grass cutting routine

·
Registered
212 Posts
I do it every time because more times than not I have to cut the grass early enough in the day that its pretty dewy and wet.. Just don't like leaving wet grass caked to the deck.. Beyond that.. My shop where I keep the machine reeks of wet rotting grass if I leave it.. Its not just a place where I store the machine and a few other toys.. Its a place where I often spend time with friends and hang out doing other things as well.. To that end, I suppose I've brought this hassle on myself, but until this big bugger I didn't really consider it a hassle.. Its just always been part of my grass cutting routine
Makes sense. Have you tried the cleaning port with a hose? I have not I know a few folks on here that have.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
So far DRobinson's ramps are the easiest idea so far. (IMHO)
Plus, if you need a nap, you can pull the old motor pool trick while you are under there.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The only issue I've had with my deck draft arm and loader was when I hooked it with the loader. It folded them over and the draft arm had to be replaced. That was more of a drive on drove off issue. Otherwise it's never been an issue and it makes cleaning very easy. You can hook a chain to the deck and use your Ken's Bolt on Hooks if you want, but the pallet forks just work so well. My 1026R is in my garage and if I don't clean it the whole garage stinks. If it gets really dry and hot like in Aug/Sept I can get away without washing the deck. Otherwise I pretty much do each time I use it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use my pallet forks to hold it up to wash under it.

I kept the pallet my deck was shipped on, so after cleaning it, I use the forks to set it on the pallet, then back up and slide under the pallet. Then the whole rig goes back in the shop.

If you guys can, I ask the dealer for the deck pallet, makes it easy to move around and robust enough to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts